Soccer (Football) World Cup 2018

Tomorrow evening (Russian time) the 2018 Soccer (Football) World Cup starts and here in the UK there is the general, almost regular, debate of "How badly will England do?". Indeed this debate is so regular that as a result, I will be supporting Iceland at this year's competition (if only because Wales did not qualify and Iceland has a smaller population than Wales). What I also like to do is based on the team's results during the competition is estimate how each team will do and usually I get the quarter finalists right, but the system tends to crash thereafter. Now, I realise that with me moving on Monday (to a place where I have no idea how the internet might be) could cause a problem, but I will try my best regardless.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Due to the problems I have accessing this forum from time to time (thanks to the lack of internet speed here) I have been a little behind (but had been posting my suggestions on another forum) so can therefore verify that these posts were posted before the events Actual Results for Semi Finals July 10th 2018: France 1 - 0 Belgium July 11th 2018: Croatia 2 - 1 England Projections for Third Place Play Off and Final
    hird Place Play Off : July 14th 2018 Belgium vs England In their group matches Belgium scored 9 goals and conceded 2, England scored 8 goals and conceded 3 and during the knockout stages Belgium have scored 6 goals and conceded 3, where as England have scored 4 goals and conceded 5, therefore on average Belgium have scored 2.5 goals and England have scored 2, therefore Belgium will claim third place by a margin of 3 - 2 World Cup Final: July 15th 2018 France vs Croatia In their group matches France scored 3 goals and conceded 1, Croatia scored 7 and conceded 1, during the knockout stages France scored another 7 and conceded 3, Croatia scored 5 and conceded 4. This means that during the competition France has, on average, scored 1.7 goals per match and Croatia have scored 2 goals per match, therefore based on this average the result after normal time would be 2 - 2, therefore extra time would apply. In their matches France have never played extra time where as Croatia have played extra time three times and in these times they have scored a goal on two occasions, therefore I believe that Croatia will do so again crowning them World Champions for the first time ever.
    Actual Results for Third Place Play Off and Final July 14th 2018: Belgium 2 - 0 England July 15th 2018: France 4 - 2 Croatia I projected that France would be knocked out at the quarter final stage, therefore in the overall statement of things I did not correctly forecast the winner of the World Cup, but did manage to get the majority of the quarter finalists correct. The next "World Cup" will be the Cricket World Cup which will be hosted by the United Kingdom next summer, followed by the Rugby World Cup in Japan next autumn, therefore if members would like me to track these events in the same way I would be happy to do so
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Semi Finals: July 10th / 11th 2018 July 10th 2018: France vs Belgium France have scored 9 goals and conceded 4, Belgium have scored 14 goals and conceded 5. Therefore based on past results I expect Belgium to win scoring 3 goals to France's 2 goals July 11th 2018: Croatia vs England Croatia have scored 10 goals and conceded 4, England have scored 11 goals and conceded 4. Therefore based on past results I expect the match to end as a 2 - 2 draw, therefore extra time will be played. In the matches played by both teams were extra time was played, Croatia scored once in extra time (against Russia in the 11th minute of extra time, however this was countered by Russia 14 minutes later). In the England match that went to extra time, no extra time goals were scored, therefore I believe that this match will end up 3 - 3 after extra time and that penalties will be called for. Croatia's penalty record has been 3½ penalties won to 2½ penalties conceded, whereas England's record has been 4 penalties won and 3 conceded, therefore I believe based on this England will win on penalties 4 - 3
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Actual Results July 6th 2018: Uruguay 0 - 2 France, Brazil 1 - 2 Belgium July 7th 2018: Sweden 0 - 2 England, Russia 2 - 2 Croatia (Croatia win 4 - 3 on penalties) Number of teams correctly forecast to win: 2 Number of matches correctly forecast (in terms of win): 2 / 4 = 50% success Number of matches correctly forecast (in terms of scores): 1 / 8 = 12.5% success
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    The quarter finals start tomorrow and so using the same theory, these are the projected results: July 6th 2018: Uruguay vs France, Brazil vs Belgium Projected Results: Uruguay 2 - 2 France (Uruguay win on goal concession), Brazil 2 - 3 Belgium July 7th 2018: Sweden vs England, Russia vs Croatia Projected Results: Sweden 2 - 2 England (Sweden win on goal concession), Russia 2 - 2 Croatia (Croatia win on goal concession)
  • dominic
    5 Years ago
    looking forward to the weekend. glad to see that england advanced. they played their ass's off and deserved it. colombia is good, but england looked better.
  • dominic
    5 Years ago
    By far the England game was the best of this cup thus so far. I was literally blown away that Colombia scored in extra minutes of regulation and then take it to PK's. England really held their own, but they started to look a bit tired towards the end of overtime. They really deserved it, and glad to see them advance to the top 8. Now the real fun begins. Running and gunning for England though. They have the momentum and wind in their back to make it all the way.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Actual Results: June 30th 2018: France 4 - 3 Argentina, Uruguay 2 - 1 Portugal July 1st 2018: Spain 1 - 1 Russia (Russia win 4 - 3 on penalties), Croatia 1 - 1 Denmark (Croatia win 3 - 2 on penalties) July 2nd 2018: Brazil 2 - 0 Mexico, Belgium 3 - 2 Japan July 3rd 2018: Sweden 1 - 0 Switzerland, Colombia 1 - 1 England (England win 4 - 3 on penalties) Number of teams correctly forecast to win: 8 Number of matches correctly forecast (in terms of win): 8 / 8 = 100% success Number of matches correctly forecast (in terms of scores): 0 / 8 = 0% success
  • walter
    5 Years ago
    Argentina is looking solid. Messi is a force. Still gunning for England, and this afternoons game is going to be insane. Portugal has Ronaldo who most would consider to be the best footballer on the planet, but to me he is selfish. he would rather take all of the shots than to help out the team. Either way, he will has his hands full against Uruguay. They are the real deal. Single game eliminations make it much more exciting.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Now we have the sixteen qualified nations, it time for the knockout stage. This is where, usually, my theory goes a little pear shaped, but here goes none the less. June 30th 2018: France vs Argentina, Uruguay vs Portugal Projected Results: France 1 - 1 Argentina (France win based on goal concession), Uruguay 2 - 2 Portugal (Uruguay win based on goal concession) July 1st 2018: Spain vs Russia, Croatia vs Denmark Projected Results: Spain 2 - 3 Russia, Croatia 2 - 1 Denmark July 2nd 2018: Brazil vs Mexico, Belgium vs Japan Projected Results: Brazil 2 - 1, Belgium 3 - 1 Japan July 3rd 2018: Sweden vs Switzerland, Colombia vs England Projected Results: Sweden 2 - 2 Switzerland (Sweden win based on goal concession), Colombia 2 - 3 England
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Group G Matches June 28th 2018: England vs Belgium, Panama vs Tunisia Projection based on first two rounds: England 4 - 4 Belgium, Panama 1 - 2 Tunisia Actual Results: England 0 - 1 Belgium, Panama 1 - 2 Tunisia Qualifying teams: England and Belgium Group H Matches June 28th 2018: Japan vs Poland, Senegal vs Colombia Projection based on first two rounds: Japan 2 - 1 Poland, Senegal 2 - 2 Colombia Actual Results: Japan 0 - 1 Poland, Senegal 0 - 1 Colombia Qualifying teams: Colombia and Japan Number of teams correctly forecast to qualify: 13 / 16 = 81.25% success Number of matches correctly forecast (in terms of win): 17 / 32 = 53.13% success Number of matches correctly forecast (in terms of scores): 4 / 32 = 12.50% success
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Group E Matches June 27th 2018: Serbia vs Brazil, Switzerland vs Costa Rica Projection based on the first two rounds: Serbia 1 - 2 Brazil, Switzerland 2 - 0 Costa Rica Actual Results: Serbia 0 - 2 Brazil, Switzerland 2 - 2 Costa Rica Qualifying teams: Brazil and Switzerland Group F Matches June 27th 2018: South Korea vs Germany, Mexico vs Sweden Projection based on first two rounds: South Korea 1 - 1 Germany, Mexico 2 - 1 Sweden Actual Results: South Korea 2 - 0 Germany, Mexico 0 - 3 Sweden Qualifying teams: Sweden and Mexico Number of teams correctly forecast to qualify: 9 Number of matches correctly forecast (in terms of win): 14 Number of matches correctly forecast (in terms of scores): 3
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Group C Matches June 26th 2018: Australia vs Peru, Denmark vs France Projection based on first two rounds: Australia 1 - 0 Peru, Denmark 1 - 2 France Actual Results: Australia 0 - 2 Peru, Denmark 0 - 0 Qualifying teams: France and Denmark Group D Matches June 26th 2018: Nigeria vs Argentina, Iceland vs Croatia Projection based on first two rounds: Nigeria 1 - 1 Argentina, Iceland 1 - 3 Croatia Actual Results: Nigeria 1 - 2 Argentina, Iceland 1 - 2 Croatia Qualifying Teams: Croatia and Argentina Number of teams correctly forecast to qualify: 6 Number of matches correctly forecast (in terms of win): 13 Number of matches correctly forecast (in terms of scores): 3
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Group A Matches June 25th 2018: Saudi Arabia vs Egypt, Uruguay vs Russia Projection based on first two rounds: Saudi Arabia 0 - 1 Egypt, Uruguay 1 - 4 Russia Actual Results: Saudi Arabia 2 - 1 Egypt, Uruguay 3 - 0 Russia Qualifying teams: Uruguay and Russia Group B Matches June 25th 2018: Spain vs Morocco, Iran vs Portugal Projection based on first two rounds: Spain 2 - 0 Morocco, Iran 1 - 2 Portugal Actual Results: Spain 2 - 2 Morocco, Iran 1 - 1 Portugal Qualifying teams: Spain and Portugal Number of teams correctly forecast to qualify: 4 Number of matches correctly forecast (in terms of win): 12 Number of matches correctly forecast (in terms of scores): 3
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Group G Matches June 23rd 2018: Belgium vs Tunisia June 24th 2018: England vs Panama Projection based on first round matches: Belgium 3 - 1 Tunisia, England 2 - 0 Panama Actual Results: Belgium 5 - 2 Tunisia, England 6 - 1 Panama Group H Matches June 24th 2018: Japan vs Senegal, Poland vs Colombia Projection based on first round matches: Japan 2 - 2 Senegal, Poland 1 - 1 Colombia Actual Results: Japan 2 - 2 Senegal, Poland 0 - 3 Colombia Projection track record: Correct (in terms of win) 12 Correct (in terms of scores) 3 Forecast of teams likely to qualify after third round of matches Group A: Russia, Uruguay Group B: Spain, Portugal Group C: France, Australia Group D: Croatia, Nigeria Group E: Brazil, Switzerland Group F: Mexico, Germany Group G: England, Belgium Group H: Japan, Colombia
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Group F Matches June 23rd 2018: South Korea vs Mexico, Germany vs Sweden Projection based on first round matches: South Korea 0 - 1 Mexico, Germany 0 - 1 Sweden Actual Results: South Korea 1 - 2 Mexico, Germany 2 - 1 Sweden Projection track record: Correct (in terms of win) 9 Correct (in terms of scores) 2
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Group D Matches June 21st 2018: Argentina vs Croatia June 22nd 2018: Nigeria vs Iceland Projection based on first round matches: Argentina 1 - 2 Croatia, Nigeria 0 - 1 Iceland Actual Results: Argentina 0 - 3 Croatia, Nigeria 2 - 0 Iceland Group E Matches June 22nd 2018: Brazil vs Costa Rica, Serbia vs Switzerland Projection based on first round matches: Brazil 1 - 0 Costa Rica, Serbia 1 - 1 Switzerland Actual Results: Brazil 2 - 0 Costa Rica, Serbia 1 - 2 Switzerland Projection track record: Correct (in terms of win) 8 Correct (in terms of scores) 2
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Actually @dominic, I'm supporting Iceland for two reasons. One, they are by far the smallest nation (330,000 population) and coming from a nation which only has 3 million people I've always felt it was best to support small nations and Two, a Vernian to simply ignore the nation that gave us this, well, it wouldn't be the done thing Snaefell Volcano (entrance to the centre of the earth according to Jules Verne) Group C Matches June 21st 2018: Denmark vs Australia, France vs Peru Projection based on first round matches: Denmark 1 - 1 Australia, France 2 - 0 Peru Actual Results: Denmark 1 - 1 Australia, France 1 - 0 Peru Projection track record: Correct (in terms of win) 6, Correct (in terms of scores) 2
  • dominic
    5 Years ago
    Spain and Russia really surprised me this year. they are looking solid. i take it that you are a major fan of soccer. so who are you hoping to take it? obviously your going for England, which I am too. their group is one I thought that they would sweep. Belgium is proving to be a real pain in the ass.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Group A Matches June 20th 2018: Uruguay vs Saudi Arabia, Russia vs Egypt Projection based on first round matches: Uruguay 1 - 0 Saudi Arabia, Russia 5 - 0 Actual Results: Uruguay 1 - 0 Saudi Arabia, Russia 3 - 1 Egypt Group B Matches June 20th 2018: Portugal vs Morocco, Iran vs Spain Projection based on first round matches: Portugal 3 - 0 Morocco, Iran 1 - 3 Spain Actual Results: Portugal 1 - 0 Morocco, Iran 0 - 1 Spain Projection track record: Correct (in terms of win) 4, Correct (in terms of scores) 1 It would appear that from time to time, my internet doesn't like this site. I am please to say however that the Welsh Government believes I would have a valid claim on a grant to increase my internet to 10MBps (download) and 2MBps (upload) which is the minimum level of broadband in Wales, however I have no idea how long the claim process or the installation will take, but will keep everyone informed (either by actual posts, or by e-mailing you all when I get your addresses) as to how things are going
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Group H matches June 19th 2018: Colombia 1 - 2 Japan, Poland 1 - 2 Senegal June 24th 2018: Japan 2 - 2 Senegal, Poland 1 - 1 Colombia June 28th 2018: Japan 2 - 1 Poland, Senegal 2 - 1 Colombia Japan and Senegal would both qualify based on their first round performances. With all the teams now having played their first round matches, the teams projected to qualify are: Russia, Uruguay, Portugal, Spain, France, Denmark, Australia, Croatia, Argentina, Iceland, Brazil, Serbia , Switzerland, Mexico, Sweden, Belgium, England, Japan and Senegal. Please note: Nations in italics have as much chance of qualifying as not qualifying
  • brad
    5 Years ago
    Russia is looking damn strong. France also surprised me. Its going to be getting really good now. Russia has their hands full this afternoon, so it will be a good game.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Group F Matches June 17th 2018: Germany 0 - 1 Mexico June 18th 2018: Sweden 1 - 0 South Korea June 23rd 2018: South Korea 0 - 1, Germany 0 - 1 Sweden June 27th 2018: South Korea 0 - 1 Mexico, Germany 0 - 1 South Korea This would the shock of the competition as it would see the defending champions knocked out at the group stages. Group G Matches June 18th 2018: Belgium 3 - 0 Panama, Tunisia 1 - 2 England June 23rd 2018: Belgium 3 - 1 Tunisia June 24th 2018: England 2 - 0 Panama June 28th 2018: England 2 - 3 Belgium, Panama 0 - 1 Tunisia Belgium topping the group (9 points) would not be that uncommon, however England would join them and that is rather uncommon
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Group E Matches June 17th 2018: Costa Rica 0 - 1 Serbia, Brazil 1 - 1 Switzerland June 22nd 2018: Brazil 1 - 0 Costa Rica, Serbia 1 - 1 Switzerland June 27th 2018: Serbia 1 - 1 Brazil, Switzerland 1 - 0 Costa Rica Brazil, Serbia and Switzerland would all have five points based on their first round matches, therefore it is impossible at the moment to say who would qualify for the next round
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Yes, I'm rather disappointed that Team USA didn't qualify (just as I am disappointed that Team Wales didn't qualify as well, despite being on the verge of doing so). As you know we are moving home tomorrow, so I am not entirely sure if I will be able to update as I have been doing, but if not, don't worry, I hope that I have explained how the system works so that everyone can carry on in the meantime after Monday, but if not, when I am able to post I will keep a record on my own computer and then simply copy and paste then when I can.
  • stacy
    5 Years ago
    It is very exciting to say the least. I was surprised to see that Nigeria lost, and was really surprised that Australia lost too. now granted I am still morning the fact that the US team didnt even qualify, but oh well. I love soccer and love the sport, so I am still excited to see the teams play their hearts out for their country. I just wish that the USA had a team in the hunt.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Group C Matches June 16th 2018: France 2 - 1 Australia, Peru 0 - 1 Denmark June 21st 2018: Denmark 1 - 1 Australia, France 2 - 0 Peru June 26th 2018: Denmark 1 - 2 France, Australia 1 - 0 Peru France qualify at the top of the table (9 points), Denmark finish on four points (one win, one draw and a loss), Australia finish on four points as well and therefore goal difference is taken into account, however in this situation both teams have the same goal difference and as a result, both have an equal chance of qualifying Group D Matches June 16th 2018: Argentina 1 - 1 Iceland, Croatia 2 - 0 Nigeria June 21st 2018: Argentina 1 - 2 Croatia, Nigeria 0 - 1 Iceland June 26th 2018: Nigeria 0 - 1 Argentina, Iceland 1 - 2 Croatia Croatia win all of their matches and so finish top (9 points), with both Argentina and Iceland having an equal chance of qualifying on four points each
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Group B Matches June 15th 2018: Morocco 0 - 1 Iran, Portugal 3 - 3 Spain June 20th 2018: Portugal 3 - 0 Morocco, Iran 1 - 3 Spain June 25th 2018: Iran 1 - 3 Portugal, Spain 3 - 0 Morocco Portugal win two matches and draw one (7 points) as do Spain (7 points) and therefore qualify from Group B
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    In the second match of the competition, Uruguay beat Egypt by a single goal to nil, therefore we are now able to calculate how Group A will go from now on: June 14th 2018: Russia 5 - 0 Saudi Arabia June 15th 2018: Uruguay 1 - 0 Egypt June 19th 2018: Russia 5 - 0 Egypt June 20th 2018: Uruguay 1 - 0 Saudi Arabia June 25th 2018: Uruguay 1 - 5 Russia, Saudi Arabia 0 - 0 Egypt Russia win all three of their matches (9 points) and therefore qualify at the top of their group, Uruguay win two of these matches and lose one (6 points) and therefore qualify in second place.
  • doug
    5 Years ago
    Yea I saw that. They looked solid. I know that the whole world is pretty much picking Brazil to take it, but I am not sold 100 percent on that. They are good, but there are a lot of great teams that are equally hungry. I am just glad that in 2026 it will be here in the states. Would have been a much better world cup if the USA had qualified.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    As there have not been any objections, I shall take that as a YES. The first match between the Russian Federation and Saudi Arabia has just finished with Russia winning by five goals to nothing, therefore based on my theory Russia will score five goals in each of their next matches and Saudi Arabia will fail to score, the final match of Group A will be played tomorrow morning and when that has concluded I will post my full forecast for Group A.