Sarms

I get asked all the time about SARMS for PCT, or as a standalone. Lets be clear on a couple of issues. Anabolic steroids work by stimulating a receptor within the body called (you guessed it) the androgen receptor. Most of the effects athletes experience on steroids has to do with this steroid/receptor interaction. This innocuous looking bottle on my desktop is filled with something that has the ability to stimulate the androgen receptor and yet isn’t a steroid. It’s called a SARM, or Selective Androgen Receptor Modulator.

The idea behind SARMs is to find an effective replacement for anabolic steroids, that are more user friendly. Most people who take testosterone either inject it or use a cream. Neither method is particularly convenient. Injections either require weekly trips to the doctor’s office, or learning how to do it yourself – and for most people self injecting conjures up images of a strung out Kurt Cobain. Creams require…well, rubbing cream on daily.

SAMS are not new idea, but rather a new approach to an old problem.

SARMs are not a new idea, just a new solution to an old problem.

The first anabolic steroid to be synthesized was testosterone. It is both highly anabolic (muscle building) and androgenic (causing male sexual traits). Testosterone remains the gold standard of steroids, i.e. all steroids are measured on an anabolic:androgenic rating against testosterone (which itself is scored at a perfect 100:100). But it’s far from ideal. It converts to estrogen and Dihydrotestosterone. Estrogen causes water retention and the development of breast tissue (yes, in males). Dihydrotestosterone causes acne, prostate enlargement, and hair loss.

So although testosterone is the gold standard, there are problems with it. Science has been working for decades to sort them out.

Dianabol was the first real contender to solving the evils inherent with testosterone. It’s an oral steroid that converts to estrogen at half the rate of regular testosterone. However, to make a steroid orally effective, the basic four ring carbon structure of it needs to be modified – and this causes the new compound to stress the liver. You can’t stay on Dianabol (or any oral steroid) for very long, and ultimately this is why people tend to prefer injections (or cream) to oral steroids.

Throughout the ‘50s and ‘60s, thousands of different anabolic steroids were synthesized, all in an effort to find the Holy Grail – a steroid that is both highly anabolic and doesn’t cause side effects. No such steroid currently exists, although several come agonizingly close. There were steroids that didn’t convert to estrogen and steroids that didn’t convert to Dihydrotestosterone, yet the side effects remained.

Trenbolone converts to neither estrogen nor DHT, and has nightmarish side effects on some people: uncontrollable sweats, insomnia, and a cough that tastes like tin. Deca-Durabolin, considered one of the mildest steroids available can cause impotence. Out of those thousands of synthesized steroids, less than a few dozen are still sold on the legitimate market (Trenbolone is not one of them). Most of the research was filed away and forgotten about. Today, the few steroids still available are prescribed for hormone replacement therapy (in men) and for diseases with wasting conditions.
  • brad
    9 Years ago
    Jury is still out on them in my book. They have great reviews, but Max Peptides does as well and are much cheaper. The cheapest I have found are from SouthernSarms. They are less than half the price and their GW is 99 percent pure. I haven't taken it yet, so cant speak to how effective it is, but many people swear by it. SARMS1 is a hefty premium, but would like to see if anyone has any real world experience with it.
  • thomas
    9 Years ago
    I ordered both from SoutherSarms and Sarms1. I will let you know.
  • thomas
    9 Years ago
    Anyone ever used or tried SARMS1? I see many reviews, but not too sure how real they are.
  • doug
    9 Years ago
    Seriously, the best SARMS out there are by SARMS1, but if your really looking for peptides, SARMS are not the answer. S4 is okay with GW, but its mostly good for a PCT. They don't replace the real gear. Never be fooled with "legal steroids". Most of them are sugar pills with fancy marketing. Save the money.