Counting down to my contest debut (prior to August 31st 2024)

Over the past week, Barry, my friend from Suffolk who between 2007 and 2011 won the Mr. Anglia regional bodybuilding title five times and the 2010 Mr. Britain novice title, has been on holiday near me (after I agreed to help with the expense as a kindness towards the quite frankly awful year he has had) and during that time has been with me training and offering me advice. Therefore armed with that information, I would like to put something on the table On August 31st, 2024, I will turn 50, it is my intention that no later than 2359 BST on that date, I will have taken part in my first bodybuilding competition Therefore, from now on, this will become my formal record of that. As a result it makes sense to see where I am starting from and Barry's opinion of "Not a complete disaster, but needs a lot of work" is I believe a fair and accurate assessment: Height: 73 inches (6ft 1 / 1.85m) Weight: 233lbs (106kg) Estimated BMI: 30.83 (classed as Class 1 Obesity) Waist: 46 inches Chest: 47 inches Biceps: 14 inches (average) Quads: 22 inches (average) Calves: 16 inches (average) I will take (in the same spirit as Brian) pictures that show my beginning but do not wish to upload them to hosting sites for obvious reasons, therefore would like to know the best way of doing that?
  • WelshMuscleman
    4 Years ago
    As I have stated before, protein has been my biggest downfall thanks to a) me not liking meat and b) cost. Therefore you can imagine my very great surprise when a local national health food chain had in its shop a collection of protein bars for only £1 (reduced from £2.50) therefore I bought ten and finding out that they can be ordered online have created a subscription order of 20 (four per variety) every fortnight for as long as the reduction lasts. This, in conjunction with a special order from a protein enhanced food website means that I am able to state the following changes: Calories: 2,246 (+505) Protein: 125g (22% of all calories) (+67g / +9%) Fats: 60g (36% of all calories) (unchanged / +5%) Carbs: 294g (52% of all calories) (+61g / -2%)
  • WelshMuscleman
    4 Years ago
    The aim last week was to use every piece of equipment in the gym near to me to determine what weight I could lift for no fewer than 4 reps and at least 8 reps, and at the same time walk at least a mile every day. Sadly, my life as a carer put paid to the first part as every day last week something happened that prevented me doing things that were not connected to caring, however because I do not have a car and have to walk everywhere I did manage to clock up a grand total of 7.04 miles. This week, it looks like, is heading the same way as I have to wait for a doctor to phone today after my grandmother said "I feel ill", tomorrow I am going shopping in the morning followed by getting lunch immediately which knocks me out for the rest of the day, Wednesday I have a carer's forum (to raise these issues) and no doubt on Thursday and Friday something else will happen to prevent me getting anywhere.
  • WelshMuscleman
    4 Years ago
    One thing that Barry instilled in me is that bodybuilding is almost three quarters food, so therefore, starting today, I am keeping a tally of everything I eat with a recommendation that I do not ingest any more than the 2,114 calories that simply being uses, therefore my food tally for today is as follows: Calories: 1,741 Protein: 58g (13% of all calories) Fats: 60g (31% of all calories) Carbohydrates: 233g (54% of all calories) Now, aside from the fact that I am only getting barely a quarter of the protein that I need (thanks to me not liking meat) could I ask what these numbers mean and what I need to change (aside from the protein which I have been trying to find alternatives for for ages and had absolutely no joy) in order to reach my 205lb target. I am aware that this is before any exercising I may do, however today was a bad day (in that my grandparents asked me a question at 1.30pm that didn't generate an answer for another two hours) and sadly as a registered carer these days can happen completely at random.
  • WelshMuscleman
    4 Years ago
    Thank you very much indeed for that vote of confidence Stacy. The reason I decided on August 31st 2024 is not only because I will be fifty, but it means that I will be able to do things in a timescale that I believe will suit me down to the ground, which can be then split into further timescales. The first of those timescales is from today until October 21st 2019 (14 weeks from now) which is when I shall be next meeting Barry, this time at his home in Suffolk as part of my respite from care. I have agreed with him that, using the medically approved amount of weight loss per week (2lbs) I shall weigh no more than 205lbs on that date (which will mean that I will have a BMI rating of 27.22 which would class me as overweight) so that during the week I am with him he can "put me through the wringer". The other thing he identified is my lack of flexibility (as demonstrated when I found it impossible to keep my head up when practicing how to do squats) therefore I would like to know what can be done to improve that (and what likely timescale that could take?)
  • stacy
    4 Years ago
    I think that is a great goal and something that you can achieve before 2024. The right conditioning and right amount of gym time with a healthy diet will get you there. We are all behind you!!!