Natural Olympia Winners Profiles

Using the MuscleMemory website (which lists the winners of every single bodybuilding competition since 1930) I would like to present a list of profiles of those people (since 1998) who have held the title Mr. Natural Olympia, starting off with the winner from 1998 Keith Bullock. In 1998 the INBA (International Natural Bodybuilding Association) created the annual Natural Olympia contest which grows in statue every year as the pinnacle natural title in the world and owing to it's name, the first Natural Olympia was held in Greece, in respect to the origins of pure sport and athleticism. That first contest saw 160 contestants enter. Keith Bullock (from Australia) who was called "possibly the world’s greatest natural bodybuilder" won the overall time before him winning the amateur Natural Olympia Champion Title and a week later taking the Professional Natural Universe in Las Vegas. But his first contest was some five years earlier when he won the USA Natural Championships in 1993. Just prior to winning the Natural Olympia he came second in the Heavyweight class at a Musclemania contest and the following year took second in the professional class at another Musclemania contest. Keith last competed in 2001 winning the Professional Natural Olympia in Honolulu before resigning from competition but that didn't stop him from making appearances for in 2002 he appeared in Scooby Doo as a henchman and in 2003 he appeared in George of the Jungle 2 as a security guard. After all when you weigh 107kg (235lbs) in competition you can be quite the presence Keith Bullock in competition
  • thomas
    6 Years ago
    Both studs
  • brad
    6 Years ago
    Yea, a great deal of the natural shows don't get too much press. Some of the NPC natural shows do, but with all of the ways to get around the drug testing and such, the term "natural" has kind of faded off into obscurity. As soon as companies know what strands that the testings look for, they make slight changes to the formulas so that they don't show up. It is really next to impossible to really keep track of every single drug out there. No granted the main staples such as Tren, Deca, Test, Winstrol, Anavar, ect they can be tested for, but again, slight changes to formulas by chemists, and they are now not. There are a few that don't cheat what so ever, and unfortunately, the ones that have all of the power and fame are the mass monsters of IFBB and NPC major shows.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    It is rather disappointing (but at the same shows the double standards of the mass media) that the winners of the 2010 - 2016 Natural Olympia titles have little, if any, information about them (especially when compared to the people who have won the non Natural Olympia title in that same time frame) and yet when non natural bodybuilders die exceptionally young or are arrested for steroid abuse the same mass media are only to happy to decry the state that bodybuilding finds itself in. This is why I am so glad that there are so many people on this forum who support natural bodybuilding (and long may it continue) For the interest of completeness the winners of the Natural Olympia between 2010 and 2016 are: 2010: Justin Firgaria, 2011: Joel Ramintas, 2012: Chad Martin, 2013: Unknown, 2014: Peter Hartwig, 2015: Unknown, 2016: Unknown Justin Firgaria (2010 winner) Joel Ramintas (2011 winner) Peter Hartwig (2014 winner)
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Warren Clampit won the title for a second time in 2006 (joining Ronald Williams in that accolade) followed in 2007 by Thomas Huack. Sadly there is very little information about him. This is the same for the 2008 winner Tim Martin, but the 2009 winner Kiyoshi Moody does have information about him online (and it is a story that shows the dedication that natural bodybuilding needs) Born in 1970, Kiyoshi (who is half Japanese, a quarter native American and a quarter African American) suffered the loss of his father when he was just nine months old. As a result of this his mother, Kiyoko Moody, moved from Yukosuka, Japan, to the United States in 1971 residing for a while in East Point, Georgia, with his father's parents, before making a new home San Diego, California. However, being of mixed race in the 1970's and 1980's was never going to be easy (especially with the tensions between the white and African American community at the time) but he was able to over come that and was soon playing little league and basketball with the best of them. Track and Field and American football eventually became sports ideally-suited to his expanding athletic potential and lean physique. Moody's explosiveness brought athletic achievement and victory. Between his sophomore and senior years, he never once placed outside the top nine at state track meets. He especially excelled in the 100-meter dash. Moody's senior year proved pivotal for his future sporting direction. He was told by a coach that "curls get the girls" and he quickly took up weight training as an additional activity, to become not only better at his chosen sports, but to appeal to the opposite sex and this had the added benefit of placing him in an excellent place to qualify for the 1988 Olympics in Seoul, South Korea but a week later, he pulled a hamstring. A series of injuries, which required four knee surgeries, among other procedures, forced him out of track, and then football - which he began playing professionally in 1995 with the Iowa Barnstormers. Once again, injury forced him to change direction. Moody became a personal trainer and in 1998 he decided to focus solely on his weight-training efforts. He began bodybuilding after a friend (James Stark) convinced him to compete in the ABA Natural Hercules Championships in Corona, California. Moody won the novice and overall titles, an auspicious start for someone who dieted for only three weeks prior to this highly-competitive event and from then on in there was no stopping him as, with the exception of one class in 2007, he was either placed first or won the overall title in every contest he contested between 2007 and 2014, proving his nickname of "The Samurai", a man who is dedicated to proving himself. Kiyosh Moody
  • walter
    6 Years ago
    He is still yoked to the core. Still has great size, mass, and vascularity. Whats cool about you doing this is that it brings light to those who don't always make the covers of the major bodybuilding mags.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    The 2004 winner was Warren Clampit from Australia, however aside from a list of his contests from 2001 to 2009 there is very little online information about him save this from Peter Brown on the "Fit Fit" blog from March 2015
    Although at the time I didn't want to be a personal trainer anymore and I never wanted to get up on a Body Building stage again I was still interested in exercise and nutrition. I remember clearly scrolling through my Facebook feed and something caught my attention. It was posted on a persons wall whom I had never met but I highly regarded as an expert in the industry and valued his opinions greatly.His name was Warren Clampit - A Professional Natural Body Builder with the PNBA. On his wall was a link to a Nutrition Course called "Level 1 Metabolic Nutritionist Certification".
    Luckily the 2005 winner Carl Matthews Jr has a lot of information online about him. Born in California in 1975, Carl started his competition career in 2004 and boy, did he have a good year. He qualified winning the fifth place trophy in the men's heavy weight novice category in November of that year, by the following April he had won best poser, the Master's title, men's open and overall at the NPA Virginia State Championships. A fortnight later at the NPC US Championships in Neavda he placed third in the men's open heavy weight, by the end of May at the ABA/INBA United States pro qualifier he placed first in the men's tall, first and overall in the Masters category, another four weeks later in Virginia again he place second in the Men's open Heavyweights. Two months after that he placed second In an OCB show in Las Vegas followed by another second in the men's open heavyweights, and 3rd in the forever natural at an INBA show in Las Vegas in September and decided after that to take October 2005 off only to come back in November 2005 and claim the Natural Olympia title. And did he stop there? Heavens, no, indeed just last year he competed at the NPC USA championships where he placed ninth in the heavyweight class but if his Instagram feed is anything to go by he is still pumping in the gym with his Christian faith keeping him going to prove that you can be big and natural at the same time https://www.instagram.com/p/BUAyr_NAmkEGataGVhzzSCLUoOT67_3J-z1p3s0/?taken-by=thecarlmatthews
  • madison
    6 Years ago
    Harry, I think its a great thing that you are doing here. Profiling and giving light to many athletes who in many regards paved the way for so many of todays competitors. Each in their own right were stand outs for work ethic, physiques, and symmetry. just incredible to see the bodybuilders of yesterday and compare them to todays standards. it most defiantly has evolved. Some ways good, some ways bad. On a side note, I am sorry about hearing that your campaign trail ended in less than victory. As mentioned by others, you certainly didn't loose in all of our minds. Your a winner by all standards and measures.
  • thomas
    6 Years ago
    Ronald was a stud. he was also strong as an ox. They say that he could throw up 375 for reps, no assistance, and do a pause rep with it. That is damn strong no matter who you are or what division your competing in.
  • doug
    6 Years ago
    I havent heard of the first one before, so great job on finding him and getting all of the details laid down. He was certainly wide. Great wing span and killer V shape.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    The 2003 winner Rodney Helaire could not have been any different to Stan, even if he wanted to be. For starters while Stan was still welding things, Rodney was already hitting the weights! Born in 1969, Rodney won the Mr. Natural Olympia title at the age of 34 (becoming the oldest person to win the title) but if there is one thing you should know about Rodney it is that age is literally just a number to him. Between 2002 and 2010 he won nine classes (in Short, Medium and Heavyweight) and five overall wins as well. And why is the date of 2010 important? Because on January 6th of that year he had a hip operation! Now, you would assume that that would mean that Rodney would take time off from the gym and move into coaching, but as Rodney himself said in an interview "You can either fall down and stay down, or you can fall down and get back up" and sure enough after nine months of recovery he was back on stage and just happened to win the 2010 Pro Natural US cup (Heavyweight and Overall class). Just eighteen months later he had to have another hip operation (in 2012) and just to prove how dedicated he is, that one only took 18 weeks (that's right, I said 18 weeks) to recover from. Indeed just three weeks after his second operation he was back in the gym doing his party trick, 1000 leg extensions, doing 10 reps after 10 reps after 10 reps, all of which took a mere 45 minutes. Now, promoting his Iron Eagle Classic contest Rodney is still no more than 20lbs over his contest weight and has said on more than one occasion "Identify what you want to become and what you want to do.  Goals are a cornerstone to your success.  You will do everything in your power to achieve that goal.  What stands between you and your goal is allowing yourself to be sabotaged, not just by others, but by yourself, which is more important.  You’re going to have the ultimate control of yourself no matter what anybody tells you.  Whatever your goal is, write it down, whether it takes you a year, then that’s the road you have to travel, you pave that road, one step, and one day at a time.  Working and going towards something without a goal is your loss.  What are your shooting for?  Why are you doing this? If you can’t answer those 2 questions then that is a problem.  Everything is a process and you need to go through it to achieve your goals" Rodney Helaire
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Following Ronald William's second win in 2001 (placing him in the upper echelons of the sport) 2002's winner was Stan Tautalanoa (or Sitaniselao Misimoa Tuatalanoa as he was christened) who considered himself to be as Tongan as the day was long (with his parents coming from the communities of Koloua and Vaini) despite the fact he was born in New Zealand. He was born in October 1973 and for the first ten years, although sporting, didn't show any hint of a future with weights, that was until he was about eleven and then he started. He attended the Sylvia Park High School and Sacred Heart College and during those years became more convinced that muscle was where his future lay, but like most people had to get money in order to pay for all those hard gym sessions, so in 1991 he became a welder with Ashworth and Taylor Sheetmetals Ltd in his native Auckland. Seven years later he made his debut at the 1998 Natural Olympia in the Medium class and won it, a feat he repeated two years later, and again two years after that (making him the only man at that time to have won the same class three times in five years) so it was perhaps only reasonable that he won the overall title as well. In 2003, however he slipped to third in the medium class, and took second in 2004 in the medium class at the Natural World Championships. By now, he had married and had three children so took some time off from competition, but came back in 2009 and took second again in the medium class at the Natural Olympia and in 2011 took second place in the Natural Universe. When asked about his career in 2009, Peter Hardwick, director of Physical Action said "The fact that he is able to successfully compete in these competitions while holding down a fulltime very physical job and spending time with his growing family indicates that he is a very remarkable man" Off season Stan was constantly 93kg (205lbs) but when in competition he was in the range of 77kg (169lbs) to 81kg (178lbs) and would always train for an hour (half an hour when cutting for a contest) at the end of every workday. Stan Tautalanoa
  • dominic
    6 Years ago
    anyway you slice it they are both studs. They have the will and dedication to amass that much muscle on smaller frames, and do it all naturally. That takes constant dedication to training, diet, nutrition, smart supplementing, and running just about every kind of training program out there. Hats off to them both
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    The millennial winner of the Natural Olympia was Danny Chau. He got involved in bodybuilding when he was aged 17 in high school, although on several occasions he was the first to admit that he was quite skinny at the time and therefore all of his friends looked in much better shape, so it should as no surprise to hear that he started bodybuilding to pack some size onto him. However, his family were not so keen on the idea as he stated in an interview in 2009 "'cos being of an Asian background they want you to you know study hard, be studious, you know, get top grades, go to uni, find a good job. Bodybuilding is not in that plan. It is something you do when you've got extra time. Not something you do first and then something else comes after. So they're not very supportive, no" His first competition came in 1991, the IFBB Canberra Classic, where he placed second in the under 80kg class and first in the junior class. This naturally fuelled his determination, but at the same time introduced him to the dark side of the sport, with the adage "bodybuilding without taking steroids is like going to the fun park and not going on the rollercoaster" being a common theme. However, Danny refused to go down that path, and the reason why? "I hear stories of what it does to some people and, like yeah, I just want to and just like how the body changes so much, up and down and all that, and I'm not wanting to go through all that. And I've got a close friend too who has taken it and he tells me what he's gone through and his experiences. Even like having a child and stuff like that. He was having a difficult time just trying to have a child so you know I like it like this" When he won the Natural Olympia in the millennium he did have a bit of a hiccup. His posing trunks when missing but he stated in a later interview "I don't know if it was on purpose or accident but it's just when I went to put them on they weren't there any more. Luckily I had people there who were able to lend me the same size posing trunks. You can tell the tension in the back, especially when it's close. When you suss all the competitors out you know who's going to be competitive and who's there just for the numbers. You know it's just between me and him. You know who's going to be in the top three spots really and who's just there for the experience" suggesting that it might have been a case of mind games. After placing ninth in the middleweight class at the IFBB World Amateur Championships (a non natural non tested event) in 2001, he returned to the Natural Olympia in 2004 where he won the professional class proving to the world that you can be a natural professional bodybuilder, but nowadays works in a bodybuilding shop and trains people he believes will be able to uphold the standards of natural bodybuilding Danny Chau
  • thomas
    6 Years ago
    Both of them were stacked. Progressive overload training and extremely strict discipline is what created the symmetry and overall physiques they had. When you look at the training and gear that people take now a days, its all about being a mass monster. When you train natural and take the vitals of BCAA's, creatine, multi vit, lucine, and eat clean you can create that kind of stature. The real trick is to keep the metabolic clock on lock down. Eat high dense foods, and speed/spike the metabolism by eating every 3 to 4 hours. that is the key to keeping them as lean as they were. Dry, and hard was just a matter of dropping water 48 hours before show time. True iron warriors.
  • doug
    6 Years ago
    I was rather hoping that Ron would be showcased. Ron was a beast in the gym, and trained pretty much harder than any competitor in his day. Not only did he train hard, he was very short, so his genetics werent the overall best. That didnt stop him in the slightest. He actually has over 20 titles under his belt. His Iron Chest Master is actually pretty cool. Does a nice job of chest activation of the long upper and inner chest muscles.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    The 1999 winner was Ron Williams but his road to the title was far from easy. He was abandoned by his parents at the house of his babysitter when he was just three years old and as the family already had eight children at the time so as you can imagine having another mouth to feed caused a great deal of resentment and it was Ron who got that resentment in spades that lead to nine years of abuse that led to him becoming terribly overweight by the age of 12. At 18 he joined the military and began competing in international sports events for the military including boxing, football, swimming and track. He was also introduced to the sport of bodybuilding and began winning regional, national and world championships. In 1988, Ron won his first Natural Mr. Universe title. However, he still had a lot of history that he felt was holding himself back and so at the age of 28 he was baptised in order to recover from what he called his "soul wounds". He describes "soul wounds" as "cause a person to not only eat comfort foods but also cause stress. Stress causes the body to release cortisol which creates belly fat. Ron says there are scriptures that tell us about God’s promises concerning every area of our lives and the necessary tools to decrease body fat permanently. If you are overweight and have tried to lose body fat and are unable, Ron says it could be that something is broken. In those cases, we must take our broken circumstance to God and have confidence that He can fix it. When it comes to fat loss, we can no longer settle for temporary change; we need a life transformation for lasting results" This dedication to his Christian faith (demonstrated by his belief that "Bodybuilding became my identity. I am more than just a physique. I was created to worship and serve Him and to help lead others to Christ") allowed him to compete at numerous competitions between 1985 and 2008 during which time he won the overall title at the 2001 Natural World Championships, 2005 Natural Universe (as well as the Masters title) and the 2008 Masters title at the same contest. Now married to Tonja they have ten children together and Ron is now a regular contributor to Christian television as well as selling his Iron Chest Master (his own invention) proving that bodybuilding can help anyone overcome any problems in their life Ronald Williams
  • brad
    6 Years ago
    Damn, didn't know about him. See, anytime you go into a "natural" competition your going to be getting people who are going to try and take your natty card. All kinds of claims will be made that he/she is not natural. Since its an international federation and not subject to the same testing as IFBB and USADA. Having said that, you cant really take anything away from this athlete. To obtain that kind of hard and dry look, with symmetry and size is bad ass.
  • doug
    6 Years ago
    That is about the most well rounded and packed on physique that you will find if in fact he was 100 percent natural. To get that lean, hard, and dry, he almost had to be on Tren and Winstrol. Then again, his gyrations and pose is for sure jacked. Looking at the contestants behind him, he dwarfs them in size, proportions, and fullness.