My Bodybuilding Journey

As I mentioned in my last post I have decided that by this time in 2024 I want to be able to say that I have stepped onto the competition stage (reaffirming what I have said about very long term goals) therefore starting tomorrow I will do the following things Every week Record my bodyweight and using the scales I have the body data that it gives Every weekend (until at least April 28th / 29th) Train at the gym with a view to build strength on the Saturday and endurance on the Sunday Every month Measure my biceps, pecs, quads and calves both relaxed and flexed and have a personal training session with the gym owner to test my strength Every quarter Take posed (and in the same vein as @bigtoger naked) photos and distribute (where appropriate) to people for assessment and recommendations for future Every year Record a posing video (in posing shorts) for formal critique of posing style and muscular development
  • WelshMuscleman
    4 Years ago
    One of the problems my grandmother especially suffers from is insecurity and anxiety, an example of which happened today. I was just about ready to go to the gym when I was called and told "I am ill!" and when I asked she said "I'm lonely" and so therefore had to spend half an hour with her to reassure her that she was not alone and when she did settle down for her afternoon sleep was told to be back within 75 minutes (meaning that my planned 90 minute workout ended up being just 45 minutes of which it was actually nearer to 25 when allowing for changing). But in those twenty minutes I did some of all the exercises I wanted to and even threw in some 25kg benches and shoulder presses for good measure (and think, although I cannot be sure, I saw some traps being flexed when I did the shoulder press).
  • WelshMuscleman
    4 Years ago
    Harold McMillian MP (Con, Stockton on Tees 1924 - 1929, 1931 - 1945 then Bromley 1945 - 1964) is one of the most quoted political officials in the UK, with the quote "Events, dear boy, events" often used to explain why things that are scheduled to happen either never happen or are delayed for an indefinite amount of time. I have to say that I have become a victim of that quote thanks to my grandparents asking me to do numerous errands that mean I am not able to go to the gym today as I had planned. So what a good thing I had a very good time yesterday when I did five minutes on a bicycle (2,400m), a set (of ten reps) of 15kg, 21kg, 27kg and was unable to even manage 33kg on cable flyes and managed to do a bench hold of 20kg, 40kg and 60kg (when my max bench is only 47½kg). Hopefully tomorrow things will allow me to start properly with Concentration Curls, Machine Curls, Pavlov Press, High Crunches, Reverse Crunches, Elbow Plank, Sitting Twists as outlined above with the option of doing todays on either Saturday or Sunday dependent on "events, dear boy, events"
  • WelshMuscleman
    4 Years ago
    That is wonderful to hear @doug thank you so much indeed. Therefore based on that assessment, does the following make sense? Monday: Machine Decline Press, Incline Dumbbell Press, Incline Dumbbell Pull Over, Pec Deck, Skullcrushers Tuesday: Concentration Curls, Machine Curls, Pavlov Press, High Crunches, Reverse Crunches, Elbow Plank, Sitting Twists Wednesday: Overhead Dumbbell Press, Bent Over Flyes, Dumbbell Pull Ups Thursday: Shrugs, Dumbbell Rows, Upright Rows, Facepulls, Cable Upright Rows, Friday: Quad Extensions, Hamstring Curls, Calf Raises, Lunges, Step Ups Saturday: Rest Day Sunday: Dependent on DOMS after leg day If that is the exercises sorted out, what do I do about food (remembering that I cannot afford the vast quantities of food that people suggest I should have and not liking meat, I am at an immediate disadvantage)
  • doug
    4 Years ago
    In 90 minutes, you can accomplish a complete and full periodization program to work, improve, and stimulate virtually every major muscle group in your body. If you are going to do 7 days a week, I would suggest not doing splits except for the major and supporting aux muscles. You can do chest/triceps, biceps abs, shoulders, back/deltoids/traps, leg, REST DAY, start all over. You want to make sure that your giving your muscles time to recover. Most people dont realize that even if your working chest, your still calling upon your shoulders for balance, triceps for stabilization, legs for burstable fast twitch fiber release, and biceps for control. So even though your not working them out as primary, your still stimulating and activating them. Muscles need time for the small rip fibers to repair, grow, and come back stronger. The good news is that you found your stride, you found your routine, and got a cadence established. What makes this even more impactful is that your walking a half a mile to the gym. that will warm up, loosen up, and prepare the muscles for war. Then your completing the workout with a walk home. That is the perfect storm and will produce massive results fast.
  • WelshMuscleman
    4 Years ago
    As you know I have had a lot of problems with scheduling in the past but I am of the opinion that at long last things may be going into some sense of order. Starting on July 1st, I will be paying an annual membership for the gym that is around half a mile from where I live and will be attending everyday between 1.30pm and 4.00pm (i.e 2.00pm - 3.30pm when allowing for walking) with the intention of doing as much as I can in that timeslot. I have posted a picture earlier in this thread of what the gym has, therefore would like to formally ask members "What can I do for 90 minutes, with one piece of equipment per day?". I will still be keeping my membership with the gym in Aberaeron when I am able to go there, but will reserve that for occasions when I am not able to go to the local one or when I have personal training sessions to test my progress.
  • WelshMuscleman
    4 Years ago
    Those are the three exercises that he has suggested for me, to be done in conjunction with what I normally do at the gym (the only considerations being of course, how long can I be away from my grandparents in order to do them in). So for instance, if I go in and decide to do some benches and cable crossovers one day, I do those three at the same time.
  • dominic
    4 Years ago
    so is he only doing core training? using resistance bands are good, but a great deal of what are in those videos are usually done for warm ups. oblique swing movement is great for the love handles, so like that one. planks are good, but crunches, ab wheel, and different variations to use in conjunction as well as interchanging will give you the best results. so your not going to be doing any weight training at all?
  • WelshMuscleman
    4 Years ago
    Sion has suggested three exercises. One of which I had heard of but the other two I had not heard of. The first one is called a "Paloff Press" which is demonstrated online as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkFYl6CE0NU The second one is the exercise that has been slammed and hailed in equal measures, namely "The Plank" and the third one is called (rather unflatteringly) "The Dead Bug" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzwWkg8rvEA
  • WelshMuscleman
    4 Years ago
    I will indeed be able to Walter. Sion has absolutely no objections to me publishing what he gets me to do online (and has even said that feedback on his routines is more than welcome). The problem I have now however is this: My grandmother has a viral infection that is giving her a very bad cough, my grandfather's hearing aid has packed up and therefore he cannot hear her call for him / ask for medicines, therefore I have to do everything which means I have no time to go to the gym to strengthen my core to ensure that I am able to do my caring duties (in other words, a vicious circle)
  • walter
    4 Years ago
    will you be able to post out Sions regiment and plan that your going to be using? I am sure that its a great one, but nothing hurts to have several eyes on it as well brother. we are all here to help.
  • WelshMuscleman
    4 Years ago
    For starters Brad, there are no televisions in this gym (indeed most of the time there isn't even a radio!) but that suits me down to the ground. I would much rather not have any sounds than a radio / MP3 player blasting such imaginative lyrics as (and I quote) "Ya'll n****** can't f*** wit my n****** ho! P**** n******! Ya'll n****** can't f*** wit my n****** ho! P**** n******! Ya'll n****** can't f*** wit my n****** ho! P**** n******! Ya'll n****** can't f*** wit my n****** ho! P**** n******!" With regard to the actual exercises they are a complete and absolute mystery. The key element is that these are exercises that will "strength my core" and therefore will, I assume, be core based, but what they are I simply have no idea whatsoever, but as with all my sessions I will be making a very careful note and therefore will let you know after my first session. I am fully aware of the requirements for recovery, but I trust that Sion will bear this in mind and therefore allow me to recover as the week goes on. Also I should point out that from June 7th - 17th I will be spending my ten days (out of 42) respite from care with Barry, my friend from Suffolk, who only retired from competition bodybuilding because they didn't have any classes for people of his age and still trains to a bodybuilding standard, who is going to take me under his wing for those 10 days and treat me like a bodybuilding client (i.e not only train me, but feed me as well!)
  • brad
    4 Years ago
    Congrats bro. Also remember that there are always TV's in most gyms. You cant your pump on while catching up on the scores. So with your new prescribed regiment, have you decided or mapped out a program? Going every day is bad ass and will produce great results, but I would also make sure that you take at least 1 full day for recovery. If you plan your splits right, you can hit 6 days solid, one hour a day, but I would suggest a rotation of: Chest and biceps ( you can sub out and in triceps with this as with chest, your working your secondary and supporting triceps ) Back and Deltoids, abs ( anytime your working back and deltoids, use isolation and tighten your abs for contractions for duel purpose) Shoulders and traps Legs ( this will be quads, hams, calves ) triceps and abs Rest Repeat and mix out rotation cycle. Switch up Chest and triceps, Biceps and Abs, Back and Shoulders, Deltoids and traps
  • WelshMuscleman
    4 Years ago
    As I have said on a number of occasions, when I am unable to train at the gym instead of saying "Oh, I didn't feel like it" or "There was a good game on the telly" I reply "It is because I am a registered carer for my grandparents and as such they come first". Therefore I am pleased to say that for the first time in a long while, things have come together. My doctor has formally prescribed a course, given to me by the gym owner, of exercises to strength my core (in order to prevent me pulling a muscle in my back which stops me being a carer) and therefore starting on Monday, every day, from 5.30pm to 6.30pm that is precisely what I will be doing with my grandparents full knowledge.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    I had my delayed from the end of December year end personal training session yesterday with Sion and this is what we discovered: Bodyweight (clothed with new trainers): 103.6kg (unchanged from December 16th lat pulldown challenge) = 228lbs (+10lbs on January 2018) Although I still have my scales that record personal data such as muscle mass and body fat, that only works on a non carpeted surface and the only non carpeted surface in the house I now live in is at the bottom of the stairs next to a door that lets in a cold blast, therefore other body data is not available Bicep Cable Curl: Failed at 57kg (January 2018: Failed at 51kg) Flat Barbell Bench Press: Failed at 50kg (January 2018: Failed at 42½kg) Barbell Calf Raise: Seven reps of 70kg (using safety device) (January 2018: One rep of 70kg due to shoulders unable to hold weight) It was decided based on this that my priority for 2019 is to develop traps and deltoids above all else, therefore I did the following which I have never done before: Seated Cable Rows: Set One: 8 reps of 57kg, Set Two: 10 reps of 57kg Seated Lat Pulldowns: Set One: 9 reps of 63kg And then Sion introduced me to four completely new exercises: Standing Barbell Rows, Overhead Dumbbell Raise, Sled Pulls and Sled Rope Pulls Although I had asked if I could have him for three hours, he said that he would only be able to give me two hours as he had a prior family commitment, but did at the end of the session pay his penalty for a wager he took out with me when he went to Wembley and see the Raiders lose 27 - 3 to the Seahawks and therefore did eight reps of 57kg (125lbs) of lying lat pulldowns in about 15 seconds.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    This is what I would like to do in 2019 and what I can do to help that happen and what prevents me from it happening: I would like to train at the gym in Aberaeron (which has now re-opened) at least five times a week (the two days a week being Tuesday which is our normal shopping trip and Saturday which is when things usually happen) Things that help me: An annual bus pass (£600) which would start to pay for itself after 120 trips) Things that hinder me: My grandmother sometimes suffers from anxiety and worries whenever she and her husband are alone because he is deaf and cannot hear her most of the time. The time when the anxiety occurs can be as little as 40 minutes or as long as it doesn't happen. I would like to be able to achieve at least 50% of the recommended protein intake (estimated to be 114g) per day Things that can help me: I have discovered that my local supermarket now stock a protein enhanced bread (15½g per 100g) and also stock protein enhanced products, plus in conjunction MuscleFood also do several protein enhanced products including sugar free chocolate and low fat soft cheese. Things that hinder me: As a carer I only get £65 a week carer's allowance, of this I like to use £22 for food. Protein enhanced bread costs 30p more than a regular loaf, protein enhanced cheese from MuscleFood costs nearly £2 more for the same amount. I would like to be able to attend a bodybuilding competition (as a correspondent for this website) in order to meet with bodybuilders (especially from rural areas) and also get to see a contest at close measure Things that can help me: The free bus scheme that operates at weekends in Wales means that I can get to places where contests may be held Things that can hinder me: The free bus scheme that operates at weekends takes such roundabout routes to places that it would take me nearly 14 hours to do a round trip I would like to spend time with a bodybuilder that I know (either personally or from an online forum) to see their training and also understand what makes a bodybuilder tick Things that can help me: I have a large number of online friends who are bodybuilders who I know would be only too happy to spend time with me Things that hinder me: I have a large number of online friends who are bodybuilders who live outside the confines of the United Kingdom thus raising the question of "If I am not caring for my grandparents, who can I find, that she knows and trusts, to care in my stead and who would pay them for it?"
  • doug
    5 Years ago
    sorry to hear about the storms and weather along with your injury. I do have to hand it to you though bro, you have stayed consistent and maintained consistent for a solid year plus. You had a goal, you had a desire, and you went for it. Lot to be said about that. Keep the fight, and keep that drive going. it will pay off in spades.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Chronology of events: September 23rd 2018: Did gym session September 24th 2018: Grandmother diagnosed pulled muscle in upper leg that caused pain whenever I moved in lower back that made sleeping in my bed impossible September 25th - 29th 2018: Was able to sleep in bed provided hot water bottle nursing painful area September 30th - present: Electric blanket bought and used all evening October 1st 2018: No gym session as part of recovery October 3rd 2018: Managed to walk around supermarket using direct route as precaution (no pain felt) October 6th 2018: Managed trundle around Aberaeron (no pain felt) October 8th 2018: Grandmother believed that pulled muscle was now healed October 13th 2018: Walked around Aberystwyth (estimated distance 0.84 miles) with no pain at all October 15th 2018: Resume training pattern alternating between country club gym and Aberaeron gym avoiding squats and deadlifts until leg press machine is available However, today the United Kingdom and Wales in particular has been battered by Storm Callum. In my own rain guage up to 4.00pm this afternoon, I had recorded 53mm (2 inches) of rain and as a result our local river is currently at a depth of 78cm (31 inches) although it has been as high as 102cm (40 inches) but we are not the only place affected by a river. The gym I train at in Aberaeron is right next to the river Aeron and that is currently at a depth of 241 cm (95 inches) a new all time high for the river and earlier today he tweeted this picture online https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo4UMEdj4Rc/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet The gym is currently flooded and Sion believes there is little chance of it being able to be used much before a fortnight tomorrow
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    I have some good news and bad news to report today. The good news is that the gym was completely empty so I managed Four sets of 11 reps of 22½kg barbell bench press Two sets (5 x 15kg and 2 x 21kg) of cable crossovers Five sets (10 x 21kg, 8 x 27kg, 5 x 33kg, 4 x 39kg, 0 x 45kg) rope push down Two sets (7 x 27kg, 2 x 34kg) of cable curls The bad news is that as I walked up the stairs to change, I think I pulled a muscle in my lower back which has made walking rather tricky ever since. I have however put some Voltroal gel on it and hope that will ease things by the morning)
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    These are the timing constraints I have at the moment (which I hope will explain things) (All times local to the United Kingdom) 0000 - 0800 Grandparents asleep 0629 First bus to Aberaeron (weekdays) 0702 First bus to Aberaeron (Saturdays) 0734 First bus back from Aberaeron (weekdays, Saturdays) 0945 First bus to Aberaeron (Sundays) 1000 County Club Gym Opens 1330 - 1500 Grandparents sleep Appointments this week alone during timescale: Monday Social Services Assessment, Tuesday Fire Safety Check, Wednesday Doctor's Visit, Thursday Weekly Shopping Trip, Friday Window Estimate) 2000 Country Club Gym closes In other words from 0800 until 0000 each day I have to be around to ensure that my grandparents are all right with the only viable times of day being between 0500 and 0700 for the gym in Aberaeron which never closes (as part of membership) and from 1330 - 1500 for the country club gym (provided that people referred to us by the social services department or people invited by my grandparents aren't coming)
  • brad
    5 Years ago
    well, it does require some shifting of your schedule. Its noble as hell that your taking care of your grandparents and doing what you can to make their lives better. As for how you make it work, well that is difficult. If the gym doesnt open until 10, that makes it a real challenge. Are there any other gyms or options for you?
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    When I moved here, I believed that my caring duties would be the same as before I moved therefore between 1.30pm and 3.00pm everyday (when my grandparents take an afternoon nap) I would be able to go to the country club and train up to four times Monday - Friday and then the gym in Aberaeron on a Sunday. However, since our move, my caring duties have increased to such a point that I have not been able to go to the country club once this week because I have been waiting for people to come and measure for windows and make sure that my grandmother (who now suffers from constipation and diarrhoea following the medical treatment) has someone on hand to help her to and from the toilet. This has led me to believe that the only time I can train properly is between 5.00am and 7.00am (when they are both fast asleep and before they have their daily cup of tea in the morning). However, this presents two problems: 1) The country club's opening hours are from 10.00am until 8.00pm 2) The first daily bus into Aberaeron does not leave here until 7.02am from Monday - Saturday and 9.45am on a Sunday Therefore I would very much like the forum's thoughts on how I get around this problem.
  • walter
    5 Years ago
    I wouldnt get too hung up on some of the body tests and ratios. In the summer time, we all hold more water and our body composition does change. We drink much more, and you got to watch your sodium intake when your drinking more fluids. You will get back on track quickly as muscle remembrance sets in quickly. An extended break will only create one mild case of DOMS, ad within two to three weeks, your hypertrophy will stake to take hold again. Strength will follow with clean eating too.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    If I have one problem with moving home, it's finding new shops with things that I have never seen before and as a result I unfortunately do get sidetracked. I don't think that matters have been helped by the heatwave either with gym sessions having to be rescheduled or missed due to heat or caring commitments, so hope that you will not be too upset by the following: Physical Data : August 26th 2018 Bodyweight: 101.1kg (222.4lbs) Change on last measurement: +1.8lbs Body Mass Index: 28.3 Change on last measurement: +0.3 Muscle Mass: 36.2% Change on last measurement: -0.5% Water Content: 60.5% Change on last measurement: -0.5% Body Fat: 17.1% Change on last measurement: +0.7% But I am pleased to report that now that autumn if firmly her (with the only distraction being my caring duties) I shall endeavour to get back on track as soon as possible (starting today with concluding a biceps session with equipment that the country club did not have) and adding it with a triceps session with the aim of building up to a five day a week session as soon as is possible.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Today I had my first "day" which was shoulders based on the six exercises that I mentioned earlier on. Based on the advice of Sion which was to "try with bars only until you're about to do ten reps in a set" this is what I did today: Dumbbell Bent Over Lateral Raise (modified) The modification being that I lay on my front on a bench with my hands touching the floor Set One: 10 x 5kg, Set Two: 7 x 5kg, Set Three: 5 x 5kg Cable One Arm Lateral Raise This took me a great deal of time to figure out how to do it, but I think I got the hang of it in the end Right Arm: 3 sets of 7 reps of 6kg Left Arm: 3 sets of 5 reps of 3kg This confirms a long standing theory of mine that my left shoulder is weaker than my right, but I cannot think why this would be the case, therefore any suggestions will be investigated Overhead Press Set One: 2 x 20kg, Set Two: 2 x 20kg, Set Three: 2 x 20kg Cable Face Pull Set One: 10 x 15kg, Set Two: 10 x 15kg, Set Three: 10 x 15kg Seated Dumbbell Lateral Raise Set One: 5 x 5kg, Set Two: 5 x 5kg, Set Three: 5 x 5kg Front Plate Raise Set One: 15 x 5kg, Set Two: 5 x 10kg, Set Three: 1 x 15kg Next on the agenda will be Biceps Day which involve Incline Dumbbell Curl, EZ Bar Curl, Cable Curls and Dumbbell Preacher Curl and will happen when the DOMS in my shoulders is no longer evident / when my caring duties allow (whichever happens first).
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Today I had another personal training session (which I believe having three a year is a long enough time scale to note changes whilst not too long to note progress) and as well as doing the things listed below, Sion also showed me how to do a number of other exercises so that when I start properly in September on a five day a week training routine, I will know what to do and when. Bench Press Set One: 3 x 30kg, Set Two: 2 x 35kg, Set Three: 1 x 40kg, Set Four: 1 x 45kg, Failure: 50kg Barbell Calf Raise Set One: 6 x 40kg, Set Two: 6 x 60kg, Set Three: 3 x 75kg, Set Four: 3 x 80kg, Failure: 85kg Bicep Curls Set One: 7 x 21kg, Set Two: 4 x 27kg, Set Three: 6 x 33kg, Set Four: 2 x 39kg, Set Five: 2 x 45kg, Set Six: 1 x 51kg, Set Seven: 1 x 57kg, Failure: 63kg Tricep Pulldowns Set One: 6 x 21kg, Set Two: 6 x 27kg, Set Three: 2 x 39kg, Set Four: 2 x 45kg, Set Five: 1 x 51kg, Failure: 57kg He also suggested that my trainers which have served me for a year need replacing, therefore would like to know what trainers are a) not that expensive ($50 max a pair), b) work best on carpeted gym surfaces and c) are waterproof?
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Thank you very much indeed for that useful advice @doug I shall certainly keep that in hand. In order to get back into the swing of things I had a little session at the country club gym and was rather surprised to find someone else there (as I have been usually the only person there every single time I have been). Today I did the following after cycling 1,500m in five minutes Shrugs(using the handles of the bench press machine) Set One: 10 x 10kg, Set Two: 10 x 12½kg, Set Three: 10 x 15kg, Set Four: 10 x 17½kg, Set Five: 7 x 20kg, Set Six: 4 x 25kg, Failure: 30kg Front Dumbbell Raise Set One: 7 x 5kg, Set Two: 10 x 10kg This reinforced my belief that my left shoulder is a lot weaker than my right, as the first set was done with two dumbbells in separate hands and the second set with a kettlebell in both hands. Therefore any advice on how to correct that would be appreciated Cable Curls (Biceps) Set One: 10 x 18kg, Set Two: 6 x 19½kg, Set Three: 3 x 21kg, Failure: 22½kg I am not entirely convinced that the weights at the country club are labelled accurately as I have done a lot more than that at the gym in Aberaeron. If I were to source the manufacturer of the various stations, would they be able to tell me what the weights were? Leg Extensions Set One: 15 x 30kg, Set Two: 10 x 42kg
  • doug
    5 Years ago
    Fluid is very important as it keeps the body fresh and keeps the electrolytes high. You dont want to deplete your body of electrolytes as they are used as fuel cells. I would say that its good to keep a Gatorade or some kind of crystal light with your water so that you dont burn up all of your electrolytes. You also dont want to over hydrate and strip all of the salts, potassium, and electrolytes from the cells. 12 ounces of water per 45 minutes of training is good. you can go up to 16 and that will suffice just fine. The best way to test for dehydration is the skin test. Take two fingers and pitch some skin on your arm. pull your skin up and if it snaps right back, your hydrated good. if the skin just kind of oozes back and doesnt snap back, then your showing signs of dehydration. You will also feel light headed, weak, and faintness. Glad that the heat wave is over soon for you and that your still cranking out workouts.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    I am pleased to report that the weather services in the UK are reporting that this heatwave is due to end on Wednesday, therefore I have arranged with Sion another personal training session on Saturday afternoon where I shall aim for a new 1RM in bench, bicep curls, tricep pushdowns and barbell calf raises and at the same time seek instruction in the exercises I outlined above that I have no idea how to do. However, another report by the weather services here, has suggested (if only in trend if not in details) that this "above average warmth" may carry on until October, therefore would like some advice on the following aspects of training: 1) How much fluid should I take on board a day (with particular reference to whilst training)? 2) What are signs that tell I am dehydrated (before I feel thirsty)? 3) How do bodybuilders who live in very hot climates cope (especially in the lead up to a contest when water is at a premium anyway)?
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Not only have I had this flipping heatwave to deal with (temperatures are supposed to average 67°F during the day and 53°F at night, current July average 69°F by day and 61°F by night) but from July 18th until yesterday I had no internet as well (caused by a combination of umbrage by the past provider and miscommunication), thankfully I am now back online and will be trying to get myself reorganised whilst still dealing with a heatwave that only pauses and doesn't seem to want to stop.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Thank you very much indeed @Dominic, that would suggest therefore waiting until I have my next personal training session with Sion and then seeing what my 1RM is for everything (in order to know what 85% of it is) and then using that method, therefore to ensure that I have the theory correct, is this what you are suggesting: To start off with, 4 sets of 10, each rep being 85% of my 1RM for that exercise, then when 4 sets of 10 feels nothing like as tricky as when I started, change it to 2 sets of 10 at 85% of max, 1 set of 10 with 87.5% and then 1 set of ten with 90% before gradually moving to 4 sets of 10 with 90% at which point I have another personal training session and start again with 80% of max? I am also pleased to announce that Sion has said that he's only to happy to pass his opinion on what I am doing as well, therefore will be sending him the outline as posted above in the next few days and hope to have a personal training session with him at some point between now and the start of September (although that will have to tie in with his rugby training sessions and stag do)
  • dominic
    5 Years ago
    It works both ways. Pyramid is going up and then back down in weight. You want to start out either light and get heavier, or start heavy and drop weight as you go back down. its really designed to shock the muscles. it works great at expanding the muscle fibers to the brink so that they become tore down. That is the whole goal. you want to constantly keep your muscles guessing, constantly shocking them, and constantly training them. Its a good practice to mix in drop setting, as well as pyramids to elevate your strength. use very little rest in between sets. I would use a goal of hitting 10 reps per set, and use 4 sets of 10. You can keep increasing the weight, but for the time being, I would use a weight that is very challenging, and about 80 to 90 percent of your max rep capacity to work out with. After about 2 weeks, you will want to increase the weight. You can start by doing your 4 sets of 10, and as it becomes easier, add weight to your 3rd set, and if you have gas in the tank, even add more to the 4th. If you dont hit 10, its fine. The muscle fibers will get stronger and be able to support it as you keep training. Once you can do 10 reps with 4 sets at the highest weight added on your 4th rep, its time to bump up the weight and do the same thing all over again.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    This is probably going to show that whilst I know the practice, the theory is still a bit tricky to get the hang of, therefore could I ask what "drop sets" are please? I believe I understand the term "pyramid" meaning that as the weight increases the number of reps reduces, but would like to know if I am right in that assessment? I hadn't actually established a set or rep number, but if you believe that four of ten would work then I am happy to work with that assessment if you believe that will work but would like to know is that the same weight for each set or does it change with each set?
  • thomas
    5 Years ago
    solid rotation. are you working with 4 sets of 10 on each of these? I would recommend getting a cadence of multi sets with multi reps. In addition, you can start using drop sets to really spike some strength gains. Drop sets and pyramids are ideal for expanding the muscle fascia. it delivers a much greater amount of time under tension with application to the muscle fibers.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    I have been giving the idea of what I could do as a regime some very careful consideration since the start of July and would like to know what members think of the following arrangement: Day One (Shoulders): Bent Over Lateral Raise (Dumbbell), One Arm Lateral Raise (Cable), Face Pull (Cable), Seated Lateral Raise (Dumbbell) and Front Raise (Dumbbell) Day Two (Biceps): Incline Curl (Dumbbell), Curls (Cable), Preacher Curl (Dumbbell) Day Three (Triceps): Overhead Extension (Dumbbell / Cable), Close Crip Bench Press, Rope Pushdowns (Cable) Day Four (Back): Upright Rows (Dumbbell), Single Arm Rows (Dumbbell), Shrugs (Dumbbell), Rows (Cable) Day Five (Chest): Bench Press (Dumbbell / Machine), Pec Deck, Incline Bench Press (Dumbbells / Machine) Day Six (Legs): Leg Extensions (Machine), Hamstring Curls (Machine), Calf Raises (Dumbbells) The days in question would be Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday therefore ensuring that on no occasion would the same body part be trained on the same day as the previous week for a period of six weeks.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    I am pleased to report that the heatwave that has been plaguing the UK for the last couple of weeks is starting to come to an end with a forecast of rain on Thursday, therefore I am waiting to see if that happens. If it does, that will confirm that the heatwave is over so that on Sunday I will start on my regime and therefore would like to know what recommendations people can make for a regime that follows a training pattern of up to four days a week (with Sundays being reserved for strength assessments)
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    .Because of the current heatwave (which does not show any signs of stopping anytime soon) I went to the gym today between 7.00am and 9.00am (the coolest time of the day) and found that is when Sion holds his classes, but what surprised me is that instead of having hip / hop rap blasted at me at the top of the speaker's volume range, the music was much more pop and a lot less loud (making me think that perhaps training between 7.00am and 9.00am is the way forward). Every month the gym has a challenge some of which I have been tempted to have a go at but most of which are simply impossible, however the challenge for July was plausible. The challenge is "Placing weight equal to half of your bodyweight, pull a sled as many lengths as you can in two minutes", therefore to prepare myself I did nothing but seated cable rows and came back with the following: Set One: 10 x 15kg, Set Two: 10 x 21kg, Set Three: 10 x 27kg, Set Four: 10 x 33kg, Set Five: 10 x 39kg, Set Six: 10 x 45kg, Set Seven: 7 x 51kg, Set Eight: 5 x 57kg As half of my bodyweight is 50kg, the fact that I managed to set a 1RM of no less than 64kg, I felt confident enough to have a go, and therefore with Sion overseeing the attempt, I loaded 50kg onto the sled and had a go. My first impression was that I was proving why, in all the productions I have been in based on things nautical, I always liked to be a senior officer and not a common sailor, for although I was indeed pulling it, the rope was getting everywhere, but according to Sion after two minutes I had pulled the sled two lengths of the gym and therefore my score was formally recorded as two. However, as the buses do not run on a Sunday during the coolest part of the day, and the country club gym is not open during the coolest part of the day, this will be my only training this week (unless the heat breaks but there is no indication of that happening)
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Yesterday, the temperature was cooled enough for me to consider using the country club gym for the first time. Because it is a country club, the gym changing room is shared with a swimming pool and as a result that changing room is very hot indeed. If I have to make an estimate (and based on what I know about swimming pools in general) I would say that the air temperature in the changing room was about 80°F with a heat index of around 90°F (so as you can imagine I did not stay there too long once I got changed into my gym clothes). The first thing I did was have a go on their bicycle and once I figured out that the seat moved decided to see how it worked and got the impression that compared to the bicycles at the gym in Aberaeron it is actually a lot more complicated than it need be so will stick to the plain old bicycles at the gym in Aberaeron (working on the assumption that the half mile walk there in around 11 minutes will act as my warm up anyway). As to the actual gym equipment I decided to see how everything actually works: Bench Press: Set One 10 x 10kg, Set Two 6 x 20kg, Set Three 2 x 30kg This makes perfect sense given that my 1RM at the moment is 47½kg so therefore the bench press at the country club I will use to increase strength and the barbell bench press at the gym in Aberaeron will be used to get the form right for 1RM attempts every four months with Sion spotting Leg Extension: Set One 10 x 12kg, Set Two 10 x 22kg, Set Three 10 x 34kg, Set Four: 10 x 38kg, Set Five 0 x 42kg As I have mentioned before the leg extension machine in Aberaeron doesn't quite work properly (mainly due to the fact that it is falling apart) so it will be nice to have a proper quad and hamstring session from time to time. A 42kg failure does indeed make sense because the last time I did a quad session back in 1991 I was able to lift 32kg with ease Pec Deck: Set One: 10 x 11kg, Set Two: 5 x 17kg This backs up the theory that my chest is not as strong as it could be and so therefore I am liable to use the pec deck more than the bench press but within a reasonable measure of the two. I had a go at what I thought was a row attachment at the back of the leg extension machine, but it didn't feel like a row extension and I don't think the bicep curl machine works in the same way as well, therefore will do those at the gym in Aberaeron, therefore to summarise Country Club Gym Equipment Bench Press (for strength), Leg Extensions (to build quads and hams), Pec Deck (to build pecs) Sion's Gym Bench Press (to set 1RM's), Cable Machine (to build biceps, triceps and back), Barbell Calf Raise (to build calves)
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    The latest suggestions are that this heatwave will last until at least July 14th (a total of 18 days) and therefore be one of the longest heatwaves on record (with the heatwaves of 2003 and 2015 surpassing it by only twenty four and forty hours respectively, therefore I have been looking at the forecast and the bus time tables to find a time when a bus runs to the gym in Aberaeron and it is cool enough to train and have determined that for as long as this heatwave lasts I will catch the 7.02am bus to Aberaeron and therefore train from around 7.30am to 8.15am in order to catch the 8.46am bus back meaning I will be back home by 9.03am avoiding the worst of the heat and being able to help my grandparents still. I have discovered (via his social media posts) that this is more or less when Sion arrives at the gym as well, therefore it is possible that he might have some ideas about how to train in this heat without overdoing it.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    As members will know I had stated that I would start my training regime properly today as part of a potential five day training regime with gym sessions on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. However, thanks to, as the former British Prime Minister, Harold McMillian, described what could blow governments off course, "Events, dear boy, events" I wish to announce that sadly such an event has happened, and that event is this: Llanrhystud Weather Forecast from Accuweaather The average temperature in this neck of the woods in July is around 64°F with the minimum around 52°F. Since last Tuesday both the day time and night time temperatures have been above the average daytime high and this is likely to carry on until at least July 15th, therefore the only training I shall do is walking unless between the temperature gets below the daytime average and I can get to a gym when that happens.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    It just so happens @walter that I do have a picture of it and a very detailed picture as well from the country club's own website Penrhos Country Club Gym Because of my poor broadband speeds at the moment I cannot post the pictures that I took myself, but the contents of the gym are: * Lat Pulldown (31½kg max) * Collection of dumbbells and kettlebells (20kg max) * Cardio equipment (running machine, walking machine, rowing machine, cycle) * Sit-Up Board * Twisty Thing that you stand on * Bench / Shoulder Press (90kg max) * Pec Deck (56kg max) * Leg Extension / Hamstring Curls / Rows (74kg max) At the gym in Aberaeron there are free weights and I believe that there's a minimum of 350kg of coloured weights, 175kg of metal weights and dumbbells ranging from 3kg to 50kg with two cycles and two rowing machines.
  • walter
    5 Years ago
    how much more equipment does the country club gym have? Do you have pictures or a link to it? that will help considerably in creating a full peridization program for you. In addition, it will help with getting you the proper splits.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Since Tuesday (June 26th) the United Kingdom has been experiencing an official heatwave (defined as "where the daytime high and night time low temperatures are significantly above average". For this part of the world the averages for June are 18°C (64°F) and 8°C (48°F) but the recent average has been closer to 25°C (77°F) and 17°C (63°F) and the forecast is for a similar vein (which temperatures not dropping back to average until at least July 16th (as forecast by Accuweather). This presents a problem for me as although the gym in Aberaeron is open 24/7 (with the last bus coming back home at 11.40pm on a Saturday and 9.40pm on a Sunday) the gym near me is open from 10.00am to 8.00pm. Therefore, could I ask for advice about what to do in very hot weather (with the options being abandon until it does cool down or just try my best in the current conditions?)
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Following my gym session with Barry last night and after having a discussion, we have both come to the following conclusions: * Yes, I can indeed be a contest bodybuilder by 2024 * Yes, Barry will join everyone here as a consultant * Yes, when circumstances allow, I will visit Barry for a weekend to get a taste of what a bodybuilder's life is like He also noted that on free weights (like bench) my form was not as good as it could be, therefore made a suggestion that when using free weights only tackle the bar to ensure that form is correct, when using machine weights, go for strength, therefore that is what I will do and therefore formally ask for the group's opinion on the following training split over a two week period: Week One Monday: Neck, Traps and Shoulders Wednesday: Chest, Biceps and Forearms Friday: Abs, Quads and Calves Sunday: Form Training Week Two Monday: Lats and Triceps Wednesday: Back Friday: Glutes and Hams Sunday: Calves and Form Training
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Three pieces of news to report today. Firstly, I have conducted the interview with my friend from Suffolk and will be typing it up over the next few days and posting it by question in a suitable place on the forum. Secondly, he and I have agreed to have another training session before he leaves on Saturday and therefore given the warm conditions, Porthmadog in the north of Wales reached 31°C (88°F) by 10.30am this morning, we shall be training on Thursday evening between 11.00pm and 1.00am (dependent on how long we actually train for) and I am hoping to be able to set a new bench and biceps 1RM, seeing who well I can do on leg extensions and following my friend's suggestion will consult on an alternative way to do barbell calf raises that doesn't involve my shoulders. And thirdly, I am now officially a member of the country club where the gym is and therefore would like to start on July 2nd if possible, therefore would like some advice on a) how many times a week should I train (remembering that I like to keep Thursdays and Saturdays free for errands and community events), b) what do I train on each day, and c) how I train with the equipment available?
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Training Session : Sunday June 24th The Roman Emperor Caligula was, well to put it mildly, a little on the power mad side. In one speech he gave to the Roman Senate, it was reported he opened with "I, Caligula, am a god. I only have to nod and all your throats will be cut". Now, whilst I would never be in a position to make a similar statement, yesterday afternoon I absolutely roared my head off. And the reason for this? Well, this bench press progression might give you an idea. 40kg (88lbs), 45kg (99lbs), 47½kg (104½lbs) Yes, that's right. Yesterday afternoon I became an official member of the triple digits club on bench press and how did I manage this? Because yesterday my friend from Suffolk, who is spending a week's holiday here, which I have paid half of, came training with me. As I think I have mentioned before, his name is Barry and up until 2013 he was a competition bodybuilder (only having to stand down from the sport because the federation he was a member of didn't have an over 65's age class) but he has lost none of his strength and power as after I did that, he rattled through his benches (40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70) and even then managed four good reps (which gives him an estimated 1RM of 76kg (167lbs) at a bodyweight of 62kg (138lbs). I am also pleased to report I have made progress on bicep curls as well. Set One was 5 x 33kg, Set Two was 4 x 39kg and Set Three was 3 x 45kg (1RM estimate of 47½kg (104½lbs) and on triceps Set One was 6 x 27kg, Set Two was 5 x 33kg, Set Three was 2 x 39kg and I failed on 45kg (which as the 1RM estimate is 40kg (88lbs) makes perfect sense). I will next be meeting Barry on Tuesday to conduct an interview about his bodybuilder career (so if anyone has any questions they would like me to ask him please go ahead) and will be training with him again on Thursday where I shall endeavour to see if I can manage a 50kg (110lb) bench and do some of the other exercises that the arrival of the cross fitters prevented (a group of people that Barry doesn't like almost as much as me)
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Have you ever had one of those days when everything is going right and then it all turns horribly wrong? If so, then I seek permission to join the club. My grandmother noted that I had a dirty mark on my trousers and so I went to get a sponge in order to dab it off. Thanks to our move we didn't have any so I went to the shop nearby to get some. On the way back, I misplaced a step and, if the internet is to be believed, sprained my ankle. About an hour later I gently walked to a local school who were holding a fete (in order to introduce myself to the village) which I managed but very gingerly, and yet as you know on Sunday afternoon my friend from Suffolk is having a gym session with me. Therefore a) should I tell him that I have sprained my ankle and take his advice about what to do or b) walk gingerly as I did today from the nearest bus stop to the gym and exercise around it (i.e no barbell calf raises)?
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    I may have been a little bit pessimistic about my internet connection at my new home (as I have discovered an ethernet cable that on the face of it seems to be able to connect to a satisfactory degree) but I am not taking any chances and therefore will be formally applying to the Welsh Government for a grant to allow the fibre internet to reach this property (which it does not at the moment). In the meantime, I went to the country club where the new gym is located and formally started the membership process and was pleasantly surprised to find out that the owner is the Liberal Democrat county councillor for this ward (who if I had won election I would probably now know on first name terms) who was also the chairman of the party before I left it in 2016 in favour of my current party due to my grandmother's health care experience. I am sure however if he asks why I left the party and I explain why he will not hold that against me. The gym contains the following pieces of equipment: A pulldown machine (maximum weight 31½kg / 69lbs), a collection of dumbbells and kettlebells, a running machine, a strider, a rowing machine, a cycling machine, a sit-up board, a disc that you can twist on, a bench press / shoulder press machine (maximum weight 90kg / 198lbs), a pec deck (maximum weight 56kg / 123lbs) and a leg extension / rowing machine (maximum weight 74kg / 163lbs). Under this scheme these will be used in conjunction with training at the current gym on a Sunday, therefore I now open it for everyone to offer their suggestions with a reminder that this will hopefully start on July 1st
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Today was a bit hit and miss. The hit came when I was asked to tune the television at the new house and so decided to check the speed of the internet and found that the download speed was around 7MBps however the upload speed was only 350kbps. This means that whilst I will still be able to post on my progress, I won't be able to post photos or videos as I have done in the past, however this is a way around this and that is using the humble postal system therefore as I have sent everyone who has been mentioned my new postal address this means that if I achieve something major (as I hope to next week when my friend from Suffolk comes) I would be only to willing to record that onto a DVD and post it to whoever would like to see it (and then ask them to place it on the forum). The miss came when I got to the gym (and found it empty) only to find even before I had really started to change that this was not going to be the case as a rowdy roar of "WE ARE GOING TO PUMP!" announced the arrival of the cross fitters who made their presence even more noticeable by blasting what I assumed at the time was the only rock tribute to the TARDIS from Doctor Who with the refrain "It's Bigger on the Inside" so all I could do was a five minute row (813m) and four sets of dumbbell exercises (flyes, presses, concentration curls and strict curls) before they suddenly erupted with "LIGHTWEIGHT BABY" are benching 125kg for reps which was more than I could stand and so quietly got changed and left.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Thank you very much @stacy. I agree with you in the regard that I have never been entirely convinced by these online adverts saying "I can make you HUGE" in a ridiculously short time period (thanks mainly to the fact that I have never been convinced that you can do anything quickly). In fact this move that is happening tomorrow I have been taking with the same sort of attitude, to such a degree that it has been arranged that because we are essentially swapping homes with my uncle, I can leave all manner of things here and then pick them up as and when I need them. As I have explained, when I do move tomorrow, I have no idea what the internet speed will be like, therefore cannot say with any determination how often I will be able to post therefore would like to say to anyone who wishes to do so, please do send me a postcard or a letter to my new address (which I shall send as a PM to the people who have said they will help me) until as such time I get a signal strong enough to post things again (hopefully before July 1st when I start this new plan) but in the meantime, keep posting on here and I will read it all when I get back.
  • stacy
    5 Years ago
    You have been on this journey with such determination and stayed totally true to your word that you would become the athlete that you wanted to be. It would also be my pleasure to aid you on the rest of your journey and help compile a workout plan, strategy, and program that will get you on stage by your deadline of 2024. That is such a realistic goal too. I find that when people say that they want to look like Ronnie Coleman in 8 weeks, they usually end up quitting after about 3. LOL. you have stayed loyal, walked even to the gym. You have gone door to door for cardio while doing a campaign run. There is so much heart and character in you. You and Subhakar, Brian AKA Tiger, all have the heart and will of a true lion.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Despite moving on Monday, tomorrow I will be going to the gym again and as part of my aim to set a new series of 1RM's the weekend after (when I will be spotted by my friend from Suffolk), I will be doing 86% of my 1RM's. This means 36kg on bench, 43kg on biceps and triceps and 64kg on barbell calf raise and (if time and no cross fitters permit) will be try 21kg and 27kg on cable flyes with 30kg and 40kg on leg extensions. With regard to next weekend (when I will have moved) the aim is as follows: Bench: 40kg, 45kg, 50kg Biceps and Triceps: 39kg, 45kg, 51kg Barbell Calf Raise: 70kg, 80kg, 90kg (and again if time and cross fitters permit) Cable Flyes: 6kg below 1RM, 1RM, 6kg above 1RM Leg Extensions: 5kg below 1RM, 1RM, 5kg above 1RM
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Oh, that is so kind of all of you. May I ask therefore if you all (@doug @dominic @thomas @brad @walter and @stacy) could send me a postal address so that I can send you all a thank you card and a Christmas card as well?
  • doug
    5 Years ago
    we are all behind you brother. 2024 is totally realistic. You can easily get there. You have an iron will, and have it in you. I will be sending you over a training regiment along with a meal plan. @dominic @thomas @brad @walter @stacy and several others will also contribute so that you have diversity.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Over the last few weeks I have been actively seeking quotes from personal trainers and coaches I know online asking them to quote me a monthly cost for advising me about how to train in order to build strength and muscle with a view to stepping onto the contest stage by 2024. I have had several replies, including a number stating that I was being too pessimistic with a 2024 end date, but as that is the date I have set myself that is the date I am going to stick with. I have now reviewed those quotes and would like to inform that the coach / personal trainer I have chosen is: The Members of the My Bodybuilding Network There are two reasons for this. Firstly, you have all been so very supportive of my efforts up to this point, it would seem very silly to ditch that for someone who may only treat me as a form of income and secondly, it was @dominic posting stating that everyone would help out that sealed the deal, therefore in order to make it nice and official, may I draw up something so that I can post on this board stating that this is going to happen?
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Training Session : June 10th 2018 (All 62.5% of my 1RM) Bench Press: 9 x 30kg, Bicep Curl: 9 x 33kg, Barbell Calf Raise: 14 x 55kg, Tricep Pushdown: 14 x 27kg During these last sessions before I increase to a five day training week, I have been looking around the gym to see if I can find things that the new gym will have and today I found a mobile leg extension machine so had a go on that with 20kg and found myself doing 31 reps with absolute ease, therefore I will add that exercise to my assessment in a fortnight's time and if I do as well as some 1RM calculators are suggesting, you will be the first to hear about it. My session next week will be with at least 85% of 1RM
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    It's that advice @doug that really makes me lean towards asking you lot to be my personal trainers when I start properly in July. I will admit I don't entirely understand what you are getting it, but I think I get the general jist. The reason I am doing this slowly is so that a) I can build myself slowly for another set of 1RM's when my friend comes to visit and b) as we are in the process of moving home I feel I am getting plenty of exercise by carrying very heavy boxes everywhere.
  • doug
    5 Years ago
    really it is a good split to use that rotation. taking a day or two off is always smart to fully let the body recover. It really depends on what splits too that your going to be doing. I would suggest doing groupings that use both compound movements, compression, and isolations. So group chest with triceps as chest is your primary, but you also get secondary work on the aggonistic triceps. They are supporters and you get a natural pump on the triceps when working chest. Shoulders, lats/ Back and delts/ legs, abs/ and mix in traps with the back. Biceps you can rotate in in just about any of these or use biceps as a stand alone if your looking to really crush it. As for your 1RM. I would not go so light off of your max. Its always recommended to work out with at least 80 percent of your max. That is what will give the most muscle stimulation, activation, and generate hypertrophy.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Tomorrow I will be doing 62.5% of my 1RM's (29kg bench, 33kg bicep curl, 33kg tricep pushdown and 51¼kg barbell calf raise) with a view to (on June 24th) attempting another set of 1RM maxes this time being spotted by my friend from Suffolk. I am hoping to try and convince him to join as well, and would therefore like to know if anyone here has won a bodybuilding contest in the last decade (since 2008) that someone who follows the sport in the UK is likely to have heard of. Whilst you are pondering that, I have been giving some thought to what sort of routine I will do from July 1st onwards (following our move) and have come up with the following schedule: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday (training), Thursday and Saturday (off) with the following reasoning. Thursday is the day that my uncle takes me shopping (and that takes so much of the morning that by the time I have had my lunch it's almost teatime) and Saturday (as a lot of things happen on a Saturday and with the free bus scheme I would like to attend as many of them as I can while I have the chance). Does that make sense (or could the idea of going from two days a week to four days a week be a bit too much of a jump?). When the schedule has been sorted, I will then start on the idea of what to actually do on those days.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Training Session : June 3rd 2018 All the lifts were with 50% of my 1RM Flat Bench Press: 14 reps @ 22½kg, Bicep Curls 14 reps @ 27kg, Barbell Calf Raise 32 reps @ 40kg, Tricep Pulldowns 19 reps @ 27kg As you may know, the gym has what we in the UK call a prowler (which is often used by people training for rugby) and as there was no-one in the gym to criticise me for not using much weight I decided to give it a go and actually found it very interesting. I have no idea how much an empty prowler ways but pushing it from one end of the gym to the other (first with no weight and then with an extra 2½kg on it) certainly made my heart pound, then to finish off (as I had some errands) I decided to see what I could manage on cable flyes. The first set was 15 @ 3kg, the second set was 10 @ 6kg and deciding to be a little adventurous, the final set was 4 @ 15kg which slightly proves a theory that I have come up over the last year or so (and I think is why Brian does so well on occasions). When there is no one in the gym bar me, and therefore there is no one to judge me, I really go for it, but as soon as there is more than one other person I become rather introspective and perhaps my training suffers as a result.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    I last visited the gym in January 2016 (when a meeting was held in the same building) and when I had a look at the gym it had a bench press / shoulder press machine, a pec deck, a machine that could be used for curls, pulldowns and rows, a leg extension / hamstring curls machine as well as a treadmill, a stepper, two rowing machines and the strangest looking cycling machine I have ever seen (resembling the front part of a bicycle and a child's seat at the back). At the same time here was a collection of dumbells, free weights and kettlebells. This is why I believe a combination of the two is the best option. The new gym I can get to everyday simply by walking and the existing gym I can get to by bus. As I said with @dominic, "Thank you very much indeed @walter" however please remember when it comes to the nutrition element I only get about $90 a week in carer's allowance (which is part of the reason for this move so that the cost of things such as state taxes and the like fall) but it does not mean I am suddenly flushed with money and can buy things like three pound tubs of protein powder all of a sudden (besides which I don't like them and would rather have two slices of protein enhanced bread with some protein enhanced soft cheese on them instead)
  • walter
    5 Years ago
    Does this new gym have much more to offer than the other one? I know you were very limited with equipment and such. Also, like Dom, I would be glad to put together a training and nutrition plan for you. Let me know about the new gym and how equipd it is.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    As you know in sixteen days time I shall be moving from the village where I have been living since 2011, to the village of Llanrhystud (about a mile further north) where there is a country club with an old school gym which, thanks to the free bus scheme ending last weekend, I will join in order to be able to train (on the advice of Sion, the owner of the gym I have been a member of) six times a week using suggestions from everyone here. That was until about two hours ago I rang up the bus operator to ask if I could be included in any consultations on the free bus scheme, which the operator said I could and as she took my details casually mentioned that the scheme had been extended. I instantly picked up on this and asked her to confirm it, which she did, and prompted me to ask "If there any official communication of this extension?". She replied that none had been made but that it was indeed the case and had been extended until July 2019. Therefore, instead of cancelling my membership with the gym I have been going to, at the first moment I can I will be changing the renewal date to the first working day after the first of the month AND joining the country club gym so that I will be able to still train on a six day week programme but vary from an old school gym during the week to the gym that I am used to at the weekends and still be able to have personal training sessions with Sion every four months
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Thank you very much indeed @dominic, I just felt that I should at least offer to pay something (mainly because that is the sort of person I am)
  • dominic
    5 Years ago
    You dont need to get a quote. All of us will help out bro. Designing a plan is what we all do all the time. No problem at all. Good going too on the increase. 8 percent is strong gains from where you were.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    I have posted this directly to @brad and @walter but am posting this again in case anyone else would like to contribute: I am writing to enquire what personal training services you offer that I would be able to use as part of a long term plan to step onto a bodybuilding contest stage by August 31st 2024 (my 50th birthday). Since July 2017, as part of a free bus scheme introduced by the Welsh Government, I have been training at a local gym in my hometown of Aberaeron in Cardiganshire and over that time period have seen all my lifts improve infinitely (for instance back in July 2017 I couldn’t even lift a barbell and at my last gym session I recorded a 1RM for bench of 46kg (92lbs)). This scheme ended on May 27th, but on June 18th I shall be moving to a new home (along with my grandparents who I am the registered carer for) that is less than a mile’s walk from a country club that has a distinctively old school vibe to it’s gym. I am therefore asking for a formal quote for personal training services based on me sending you my 1RM’s in bench, bicep curl, tricep pushdown, leg extensions, hamstring curls and barbell calf raises at the start of each month, for you to reply with a training programme which I shall then report back on at the end of each month. In the interests of fairness I should state that I am sending this quote e-mail to a large number of personal trainers / bodybuilders I know of online, therefore would suggest that in the result of a tie, anything extra that you can bring to the table will be taken into account. Yours sincerely Harry Hayfield
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    I have just got back from the gym and here are the numbers: Bench Press Set One: 6 x 35kg, Set Two: 2 x 40kg, Set Three: 3 x 42½kg, Set Four: Failure at 45kg (1RM = 46kg = 9.52%) Bicep Curl Set One: 9 x 33kg, Set Two: 5 x 39kg, Set Three: 3 x 45kg, Set Four: Failure at 51kg (1RM = 49kg = 0%) Barbell Calf Raise Set One: 18 x 50kg, Set Two: 5 x 70kg, Set Three: 3 x 75kg, Set Four: Failure at 80kg (1RM = 82kg = 17.14%) Tricep Push Down Set One: 9 x 33kg, Set Two: 6 x 39kg, Set Three: Failure at 45kg (1RM = 47kg = 4.44%) Average Increase: 7.775%
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Physical Measurements between January 14th 2018 and May 26th 2018 Bodyweight: Was 218.4lbs Now 220.6lbs (+2.2lbs) Body Fat: Was 15.9% Now 16.4% (+0.5%) Lean Muscle Mass: Was 183.67lbs Now 184.42lbs (+0.75lbs) BMI: Was 27.8 Now 28.0 (+0.2) Bone Mass: Was 9.2lbs Now 9.2lbs (unchanged) Water Content: Was 61.4% Now 61.0% (-0.4%) Muscle Mass (as calculated by scales): Was 37.3% Now 36.7% (-0.6%) Today is the last day of the free bus scheme and in about two hours or so, I will be starting my last personal training session as a member of the gym and it is this that will determine my wager with Brian. Back in January my 1RM's for the exercises were: Bench 42kg, Biceps 49kg, Triceps 45kg and Barbell Calf Raise 70kg. These are the benchmarks that I will try and beat today and beat them so that the average increase is greater than Brian's (but as things stand at the moment I do not know what Brian's increases are) therefore I am working in the dark, but will endeavour to push myself as hard as I can. In the meantime (assuming that I have done those calculations correctly) I believe (given what a problem getting protein into me and the fact that I have only been able to train once or twice a week and then for only 90 minutes at a time) the fact that I have gained just under a pound of lean muscle since January means I must be doing something right and that when I join that gym near to where I live and am able to train every day (caring duties permitting of course) the world could be my oyster.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Today was my last training session before the free bus scheme finishes and ahead of my personal training session with Sion next Saturday I wanted to see how much I could manage on my own and the answer (as with most things I do) raised a lot of questions. First, I had a go on the bicycles and asked the question "How long does it take me to ride 1km?" to which the answer was 125 seconds. This then prompted another question: "Why do I travel at an average speed of 6mph on a rowing machine, but travel at an average speed of 18mph on a bicycle?". Wondering whether the answer had something to do with the material (water vs air) I had a go at one of the continuous gym challenges "How fast can you ski 100m?" and came back with the answer of 27 seconds (8.3mph) therefore leading me to believe that bicycle riding is easier than skiing, which in turn is easier than rowing and would like to know if members agree with this observation. I then did my lifting: Barbell Bench Press: 3 x 40kg (new personal best) As I will be testing myself on bench on Saturday I only did the one set Bicep Curl: Set One: 12 x 33kg, Set Two: 4 x 39kg, Set Three: 0 x 45kg Rope Push Down: Set One: 6 x 33kg, Set Two: 4 x 39kg, Set Three: 0 x 45kg Barbell Calf Rise: Set One: 24 x 40kg, Set Two: 10 x 50kg However, just as I was about to start on Set Three, the crossfitters arrived and made anything else impossible so I finished off with a walk of just under 1½ miles in 49 minutes and 18 seconds (1.78 mph) which used up 220 calories (and so I rewarded myself with an ice cream rated at 110 calories). The aim on Saturday is to start at 8.30am and carry on until at least 10.30am and, if possible, I will ask Sion if I could use his internet to create Instagram stories of my lifts.
  • walter
    5 Years ago
    The whole thing with CrossFit is that it uses many different types of strengths. There a major and minors, so Agile Strength. ... Strength Endurance. ... Explosive Strength. ... Maximum Strength. ... Relative Strength. ... Speed Strength. ... Starting Strength All of these are used, and to really generate greatness when training crossfit you have to use all of them. Form is thrown out the window.
  • dominic
    5 Years ago
    Yea, I hear you. Cross fit is multi functional training. They are built on speed, durability, strength, and vast cardio. There are some good concepts in there, and some good functional training that goes along with it, but for the most part they arent concerned with form. Form is thrown out the window, and since their time under tension is much higher, they solely work off of getting the reps done in any capacity. Now it does take an extremely fit person to make it to the top and elate status of the Reebok games, but they are far and few that make it.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    People of a certain age will remember the novel by George Orwell "1984" which has the following extract:
    You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world.
    The BBC took that concept and made it into first a radio show and then a television show where celebrities made nominations of things that they would like to see consigned to Room 101 and convince the host (first Nick Hancock, then Paul Merton and currently Frank Skinner) that their choice was justified. If they did convince them, the object was consigned to Room 101, if not they had to take it back with them. Today I encountered something that I would like consigned to Room 101, therefore wish permission I would like to make my nomination https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z6GdC8Oz1SY (Room 101 Titles) Joining me on the show today is Harry from Western Wales and here comes your first nomination https://www.youtube.com/embed/XBtVoTvYyKM (Examples of Cross fit) Yes, that's right, I would like to nominate the concept of cross fit! And why would I like to nominate this? Well, the main reason is that they seem to believe that what they are doing constitutes training when most of the time it looks as if they are trying to look muscular and strong without really trying, but my real gripe is this. In a gym the size of the one I train in, anything more than three people in there and it starts to get crowded so when you have four people all doing various cross fit activities, people like me with set plans have to throw them out of the window and make things up on the fly. As an example, this is what I wanted to to do today: Barbell Bench Press (starting at 30kg), Barbell Bicep Curl (starting at 30kg), Tricep Pulldown (starting at 30kg) and Barbell Calf Raise (starting at 30kg) and what did I manage to do? Dumbell Hammer Curl (because the barbell for biceps was being used by someone for snatches) Set One: 8 x 10kg, Set Two: 4 x 12.5kg, Set Three: 2 x 15kg, Set Four: 0 x 17.5kg Dumbell Overhead Triceps Extensions (because the cable machine was being used by someone dancing) Set One: 15 x 5kg, Set Two: 5 x 7.5kg, Set Three: 0 x 10kg Barbell Calf Raise (which I only managed to fit in because the cross fitters reduced from four to two) Set One: 34 x 30kg, Set Two: 21 x 40kg, Set Three: 12 x 50kg, Set Four 10 x 52.5kg (as part of forfeit) And then just to make it even more stupid, one of them started doing muscle ups but being unable to get his head chin above the bar at which point I just sighed to myself and left them to it. Now, in the TV show, having explained why I want to place cross fit into Room 101, the presenter then tries to find reasons why it should not, therefore I open the floor for reasons why cross fit should not be placed in Room 101.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    I am so pleased to hear that @dominic. As I have said before actually getting protein into me is the biggest problem because a) I am not a meat eater and am not terribly keen on these various protein powders and b) the cost (for instance I recently bought two loaves of protein enhanced bread and six packets of protein enhanced soft cheese which cost the same as two weeks of normal shopping, hence I reason I started that patreon campaign to try and get a regular amount of money coming in so I could buy these things. Thank you very much indeed @stacy for that vote of confidence, I will admit that trying to juggle training with my caring duties (and an exceptionally bad winter) has been a challenge but I am pleased that on a majority of weekends (if not all of them) I have managed to attend the gym at least once of those days. When we move in the middle of June, I will switch my membership to the gym within walking distance of our new house (and yet still retain the pass card for the old gym which the owner has said I can do and use it to arrive before he does for my personal training sessions which will be in August and December)
  • stacy
    5 Years ago
    I was just reviewing all of your entries and all of the work that you have been doing. I have to give you a big congratulations. You really have done tremendous work and should be extremely proud of yourself. You haven't quit, given up, and have kept going even when its been very hard. Great work!!!!!
  • dominic
    5 Years ago
    You can still generate muscle hypertrophy at any age. The important thing to look out for with age is to manage your protein and carb intake. Carbs will fuel you and give you the energy, but protein is the building block. Protein synthesis becomes harder as you age, so you have to ensure that your getting good quality protein to enhance the work you do in the gym. That is what bodybuilding is all about. its all about training and nutrition. Those are the two guiding principles that make or break the success of a program. @bigtiger has been hearing us preach to him about it for years. it really is true though. Protein breaks down into aminos, and bcaa metabolize directly in the muscles. They dont break down in the liver, so its important to really put back into your body what you take out of it through training. what you eat, when you eat, how much you eat, and supplementation are all vital roles that will define your blueprint. Make no mistake about. Any type of training, regardless if your doing pyramid, split setting, power lifting, endurance, periodization, power resistance, ect all rely on the proper diet. Age does play a factor, but it can be done.
  • thomas
    5 Years ago
    Just goes to show that age is just a number. The human body can still produce muscle so long as you keep it fueled with the right macros. Your protein to carb ratio should be more watchful the older you get. What you can get away with with your metabolic rate racing in your teens, 20's, and early 30s cant be done quite the same later. LOL. Trust me, I know all too well as I approach 40 myself.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Thanks to the fact that we don't have a image uploader here, I was not able to post pictures of Barry straightaway but here are two pictures of him from 2007 (60) and 2011 (64) Barry Thomas (aged 60 in 2007) Barry Thomas (aged 64 in 2011) In 2007, Barry stood 5ft 2 tall (1.57m), weighed 142lbs (64kg) and had the following stats: Chest 42½ inches, Waist: 32 inches, Biceps: 14½ inches, Quads: 22½ inches, Calves: 15 inches. BMI calculation: 25.96 (Healthy). Estimated Body Fat Calculation: 7%
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    A report today published by a think tank suggested that as I was born in 1974 I am classed as part of "Generation X" (the so called generally apathetic generation who really couldn't care less what happens to them). I am hoping that having stood for election five times in the last twenty one years would prove that that wasn't the case but another way that I am different is that I respect older people than me and this was demonstrated when I first came online properly in 1998 as the first person I ever spoke to was a then 64 year old bodybuilder from Washington State and almost every day we would chat about muscle, fitness, health and politics until his death in 2015 at the age of 80. Paul Stone (taken in the millennium) Over the years I have spoken to a large number of bodybuilders but of them all I have only ever met one in person that is Barry from Suffolk in England. I first met him in 2007 when he was one week out from a contest and between then and 2011 we arranged to meet up for a weekend, but when I suffered a slipped disc from August 2012 - September 2013 I couldn't host him and then from 2014 onwards his mother became ill with dementia. In 2017, both his mother and brother died within a few months of each other and feeling sorry for him I asked if he would object to me paying half the cost of a holiday cottage here in Ceredigion so that we could meet again and so that he could have a rest from his troubles. He agreed and after arranging a date I am pleased to say that he will be staying during the last week of June this year.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Training Report for May 6th 2018 Barbell Bench Press: Set One: 10 x 20kg, Set Two: 8 x 30kg, Set Three: 2 x 40kg Barbell Curl: Set One: 10 x 20kg, Set Two: 0 x 30kg (couldn't get the barbell off the rest) Barbell Calf Raise: Set One: 40 x 20kg, Set Two: 35 x 30kg, Set Three: 30 x 40kg, Set Four: 15 x 50kg, Set Five: 14 x 52½kg (as part of my 100 reps of 52½kg forfeit for Team Ontario's performance at the Commonwealth Games) Rope Push Down: Set One: 11 x 33kg, Set Two: 5 x 39kg, Set Three: 0 x 45kg Now, you might be wondering "Why note that you couldn't do any reps of a certain weight?" and the reasoning is that at the end of this month I will be having a personal training session with Sion where I will attempt to beat what I managed in January as a 1RM. Now back in January my 1RM for barbell bench was 41kg, Barbell Curl 48kg, Barbell Calf Raise 67kg and Rope Push Down 44kg, therefore every gym session between now and then I will start a little higher so next week I will start with a 30kg bench, a 30kg barbell curl, a 30kg barbell calf raise and a 39kg rope push down. The other thing I discovered today is how to make the exercise bicycles work. As you know when I tried them last I couldn't get them to work but today was idly trying them when it suddenly started to work and so wanted to know when it stopped working. The answer is that the bicycles only start once you pedal at more than 65rpm and stop working at 25rpm, therefore next week I will see how long I can manage a steady 45rpm and if it's a reasonable length of time switch from the rowing machine to those instead.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    I had a bit of a disappointment yesterday, as Sion, the gym owner, was suddenly lumbered with a babysitting request and therefore couldn't do my personal training session (but I didn't find this out until about half an hour after it was supposed to have started, and I only found out when I sent him a text message). As someone whose plans have always been changed at the last second through being a carer, I really couldn't hold it against him and by means of an apology he has said that when we do have the session (which has been rescheduled for May 26th at 8.30am) he will only charge £10 an hour (instead of the usual £20). So therefore I am keeping that extra loaf of protein enhanced bread for the week leading up to that session and will try and buy some more protein enhanced things in the week leading up to it. But this is the thing about Sion, he is just so understanding, therefore I would like some help with the following. In about six weeks time (as I may have mentioned before) I will be moving as my grandparents downsize. This, in conjunction with the free bus scheme ending, means that I will be resigning my membership of the gym but Sion has very kindly said that I can keep my access card for when I have personal training sessions with him and as a result I would like to nominate him for an award about good gym owners (as I think he does so much for all the members, he should get something). Therefore are there any awards that recognise gym owners who go out of their way to ensure that people in their communities become fitter and healthier?
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    With my personal training session coming up on Sunday, I took this opportunity to see how I am progressing. As you know this personal training session will compare how I am now with how I was back in January, so here's how I have changed (in terms of lean muscle mass) since then. January 13th 2018: Bodyweight 218.4lbs, Body Fat 15.9%, Lean Muscle Mass: 183.67lbs April 26th 2018: Bodyweight 221.0lbs, Body Fat: 16.8%, Lean Muscle Mass: 183.87lbs Now, I realise that for most people a 0.20lb gain in lean muscle mass isn't going to set the world on fire, but for me it is a personal triumph, therefore I have reason to believe that whilst I won't be that much stronger than I was in January, it does mean that I am slowly gaining actual muscle (and therefore when I actually start on my protein enhanced foods today which includes bread that has 15g of protein per slice, soft cheese at 17g per 100g and even a cereal that has 20g per 100g) it will give me a chance to see whether I could eat at least one protein enhanced food a day and then gradually increase.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    This is partly the reason why I have explored protein enhanced foods (such as the order coming today of protein enhanced bread and protein enhanced low fat soft cheese) just to see what options I have in having foods I know I like that are protein enhanced. Sadly @dominic that graph didn't come through, so if you PM me the website address then I'll be able to save it on my computer. The aim for Sunday (which will be a full two hour personal training session) is not only to set new benchmarks on bench, biceps, triceps and calves, but also have a full body workout (shoulders, upper back, lower back, chest, biceps, triceps, abs, quads, hamstrings and calves) so that when the free bus scheme ends at the end of May I know roughly what the exercise is for when I change gyms in July.
  • dominic
    5 Years ago
    The important thing is that your continuing to go, continuing to improve, and building significant hypertrophy with your training. On the protein, I would aim for much higher than just 31 grams. I would aim to get about 150. You can use lean protein sources such as beans, peas, brown rice, potatoes, tofu, edamame, broccoli, asparagus, chickpeas, ect. You can get many good and clean protein sources that are extremely high in fiber too. Use the graph below that I got for you. @fitat50 I know your mostly vegan too, so you can use this as well. Since you all aren't really eating a great deal of meat or poultry, I would also suggest taking a b-12 supplement. Use this
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    Today was another of those "Too many people for the gym to cope" days as a couple of people were there attempting (and I meant that quite literally) to deadlift 130kg and as such both bars were in use which meant that I had to wait to use them. So in the meantime I did the first of my forfeits 1,875m (which as it was so close to the gym challenge mark of 2,000m, I turned into 2,000m) and that I managed in a total of 11' 49.5" which equates to 2.81m/s = 6.34mph. By that time one of the bars had become available, but when I placed it on its holders I found that it was too short. Luckily I found out that you could extend the size by spinning the ends but even spinning it to it's maximum length wasn't enough, so when one of the people had finished doing his 40kg benches I asked if I could use the bar. He said that I could and so loaded it with my second forfeit of 10 reps of 57½kg on barbell calf raises however couldn't make 57½kg thanks to the lack of 1.25kg discs so had to make it up to 60kg and managed that, although I have to admit my shoulders are still too weak to go anything above 70kg or so. This means that I have one more forfeit to do and that will entail doing 100 reps of 52kg over the course of May (which will convert into 5,200kg which equals 157½kg for 33 reps (the same number of medals that Team Ontario won at the Commonwealth Games times by the weight values of those medals). After managing that, I went for a trundle around the town and found a bargain (which I bought) that I would like members thoughts on. Frozen yoghurt (which I like which is strange as I cannot abide ordinary yoghurt). It is made by the MooYoo company and according to the information on the back is 146 calories per 100g, 1.3g of fat, 21.1g of sugar and 2.6g of protein and therefore would like to know if I can have it during this current hot spell which has seen temperatures nearly 50% higher than they should be (75°F as opposed to 50°F) On the subject of protein, every day from tomorrow I shall try and have a minimum of 31g of protein a day (by having two protein pancakes) until at least next Monday with a view to ensuring that when I have my personal training session next Sunday I can tell Sion that I am trying my darnest to increase my protein intake, but it's rather a hard slog. I will be doing this by buying some protein enhanced bread and soft cheese from the LeanCheese company and will let you know (when they arrive on Tuesday) their nutritional information and what they taste like.
  • WelshMuscleman
    5 Years ago
    That is what I will be doing at the personal training session next Sunday. Because I don't have a training partner (more's the pity) I have to be careful, but with Sion there I shall be able to do as heavy as I can, plus it will generate the numbers needed for the first challenge between me and Brian. We agreed that we would compare how much we have both improved (compared with the start of the year) on bench, bicep curl, tricep pulldown and barbell calf raise, then after averaging out that difference over the four exercises, whichever of us had increased the most the loser has to pay the winner that percentage of their starting bodyweight in money (so for instance if Brian averages more than me, then I have to pay him the average percentage of 235lbs, and I average more than Brian then he has to pay me the average percentage of 215lbs). It might sound complicated but when I tell Brian my averages and he tells me his, I will post the results here so that everyone can understand how it works. Training at home is something that I have been doing a lot of recently @walter. As I think I have mentioned before we have three floors in this house with a 34 step staircase going from the ground floor to the attic. In the attic is my aunt's cat that we are looking after while she sorts out a new house and on the ground floor are where my grandparents live. Therefore on several occasions I have done the following (usually within the space of ten minutes). Go upstairs to speak to moggy (only to get snarled at) +16 steps, is called downstairs (+34 steps) to bring something from upstairs (+18 steps) downstairs (+18 steps). Then is asked to bring something from attic (+34 steps +34 steps) and then take thing back again (+34 steps +34 steps) before being told that everything is alright (+18 steps) Total number of steps = 240 (and this can happen several times a day)
  • walter
    5 Years ago
    I had no idea. Seems like that they would have put something like this together. Glad that they did and thanks for making us all aware of it as I didnt know a thing about it. As for your workouts, your 10 minutes of rowing is solid cardio. It works all of the primary and secondary muscle groups and is awesome cardio. It burns calories faster than traditional cardio, and it helps define the muscles. I use it at least twice a week for my main cardio. How are you doing on your PR's? Have you also been keeping track of your resting and target heart rates? Another good thing to do with your power resistance hypertrophy training is to mix in some functional training when your at home. There are so many creative ways that you can get a good toning and stabilizing workout done at home.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    The Gay Games @dominic started back in 1982 in San Francisco where they were dubbed the "Gay Olympics" who wanted to (in the same vein as the Paralympics) encourage gay and lesbians (especially given that AIDS has been confirmed the previous year) to ensure that the LGBT community kept as healthy as possible. The Games (like the Olympics) are held every fourth year in the middle of the Summer Olympic calendar (1982, 1986, 1990, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018) and currently have 36 sports in their programme with representation in Aquatics, Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Beach Volleyball, Ten Pin Bowling, Boxing, Cycling (Road and Mountain), Dancing, Fencing, Field Hockey, Ice Skating, Soccer, Golf, Handball, Ice Hockey, Judo, the Martial Arts, Petanque, Roller Skating and Derby, Rowing, Rugby Sevens, Sailing, Softball, Squash, Table Tennis, Tennis, Triathlon, Urban Dance, Volleyball and Wrestling). Most of this information comes from the Paris 2018 website (https://www.paris2018.com/) but I happen know a bit already about it because it was hoped that a friend of mine from California was going to take part in the Physique competitions (Male Bodybuilding, Female Bodybuilding, Male Physique, Female Physique and Pairs) with a friend from Florida in 2014, but the Floridan tore his pec about six months before the contest and so that idea had to be abandoned (but not before me doing a lot of research into them). It looks however as though Physique has been dumped from the 2018 programme, as has Powerlifting.
  • dominic
    6 Years ago
    I would sponsor you. What is the Gay Games? Gay as in happy games, or homosexual gay games? Either way is cool, I just have never heard of that before.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Training Session : April 15th 2018 Rowing Machine: 1,785m in 10 minutes = 6.69mph Dumbell Hammer Curls: Set One 7 x 10kg, Set Two 5 x 12½kg, Set Three 3 x 15kg Shrugs: Set One 15 x 5kg, Set Two 15 x 10kg, Set Three 10 x 15kg, Set Four: 10 x 17½kg Barbell Calf Raise: Set One 27 x 40kg*, Set Two: 7 x 50kg *This was my forfeit for the success of Team Suffolk at the Commonwealth Games. Team Suffolk won four bronze medals which would have produced four reps of 10kg (2½kg per bronze medal times the number of medals won) but as the person who I wagered is a former competition bodybuilder I thought that was rather little so I said that I would do as many reps as possible of 40kg (10kg per bronze) and in the end I did 27 (which I filmed) and will be placing on YouTube to send to him (and would be happy to post here) as proof. I also wagered a person from South Australia, the Western Cape and Ontario and am currently working out the forfeits there. For the person from South Australia (a keen machine rower) the forfeit is 100m per gold, 50m per silver and 25m per bronze and the total is 1,875m. As the gym challenge is to row 2,000m, I have decided to go the whole hog and post a time knowing that it will not appear on the leader board but satisfied that I can do it. I am currently tallying the forfeits for the Western Cape and Ontario person but have a feeling that it will be multiple reps of a single weight (as the Western Cape is already up to 2 golds, 6 silvers and 4 bronzes). With regard to the suggestion about a wager with @dominic on the subject of the Gay Games, the information about the 2014 Gay Games held in Akron, OH, has been wiped from the website that hosted it (http://www.gg9cle.com) so therefore I cannot assess how well Team GB and US did with reference to New Jersey and Wales, but if he knows of a way of accessing that information then I would be only to happy to compile it and see how both teams did in 2014
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    The next major international multi sporting event (that I am aware of) are the X Games being held in Minnesota in July followed by the Gay Games in Paris in August. If you would be willing to have a wager between Team New Jersey and Team Wales in either of those (the Gay Games would be the better option as there is a larger range of sports where Team GB would have a fighting chance) then I am not adverse to that I say. If that was the case, then it would simply be whichever team ranks higher on the medals table at the end of the Games, the loser has to do a forfeit of as many reps as medals won by that team at a fixed rate of weight so for instance each gold medal would be worth 10lbs, a silver 5lbs and a bronze 2½lbs or if you mean money sponsorship instead of moral sponsorship, then the forfeit would be $5 for a gold medal, $3 for a silver and $1 for a bronze. If that sounds like an idea @Dominic then let me find out how Team Wales and Team New Jersey did the in the last editions of those Games and I will come up with an estimated calculation of both weight and money.
  • dominic
    6 Years ago
    Is there another cone coming up? What do you need in the way of sponsorship? Sorry I missed that bro.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Following our decision to move, now confirmed for June 18th, every time I have tried to add what I did on Sunday something has got in the way (ranging from crushing boxes to ordering washing machines) with the Commonwealth Games not helping matters either. Thankfully I now have a spare moment or two and can tell you what I got up to. Warm Up: Rowing Machine 1,867m in 10 minutes (made up of two sessions of five minutes, split between 2½ minutes of normal and then 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off of really going for it) = 3.11 m/s = 7mph. Estimated Gym Challenge Completion: 10 minutes 43 seconds Bicep Curls: Set One 8 x 27kg, Set Two 5 x 33kg, Set Three 2 x 39kg Tricep Pull Down: Set One 10 x 27kg, Set Two 10 x 33kg, Set Three 10 x 39kg Barbell Bench Press: Set One 10 x 20kg, Set Two 6 x 30kg, Set Four 2 x 40kg As you will remember I was hoping that someone would take up a wager with me regarding the Commonwealth Games comparing how Team Ceredigion did, relative to their local team. Well, I have to report that although no one did, they would have won as with all Ceredigion's medal chances having now been declared the answer is a big fat ZERO. Ceredigion last won an international multi sport medal in 1920 (when John Ainsworth-Davis won gold as part of the Men's 4 x 400m relay in Antwerp) and since then Ceredigion has never seen to come up trumps. Therefore on Sunday (as tomorrow I am going furniture spotting for my grandmother) I will be doing the first of my forfeits for Barry from Suffolk (two confirmed bronzes and the potential for another two based on one rep per medal of 10kg gold, 5kg silver, 2½kg bronze) and then calculate the other forfeits to do the following weekend.
  • walter
    6 Years ago
    I totally understood what you meant. its a great goal and part of your progressive power resistance training will get you there. You will be hitting triple digits very soon. You are consistent, have great diversity in your training rotations, and are working a good meal plan. The biggest factors of bodybuilding are training, recovery, diet and nutrition, and supplementation. When you nail them all, your officially an iron warrior.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    No, you misunderstand me. Brian may be able to bench 225lbs for reps but I most certainly can't (although that said I am hoping that at my next personal training session I can at least get into triple digits). That link was a link to Sion, the gym owner, taking part in the monthly challenge (and do a very creditable five reps) from his Instagram posting and I posted it so you could hear just how loud the music in the gym can be (however I don't think I am doing something right when it comes to posting things like Instavideos and YouTube videos).
  • dominic
    6 Years ago
    You doing the bench press with 225? Getting your game way up there bro.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Here's the gym owner having a go at the NFL bench press challenge today (and it gives you an idea of how loud the gym can be on occasions) Sion's NFL Bench Press Challenge Attempt By the way, my next Personal Training session which was going on to on Sunday has now been pushed back to the 29th due to personal commitments on Sion's part
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    I was told yesterday that we intend to move house in the early part of June (between June 2nd and June 15th) and therefore will be joining the gym near to our new home towards the end of June / beginning of July and if the events at the gym I am currently a member of yesterday is any guide I cannot leave quick enough. I arrived as I always do a little after 2.30pm and found (as it has been for the majority of the last few weeks) completely empty and so started on my warm up. However in the 7½ minutes that it took me, four cars arrived and emptied seven people (who if I was to guess weighed between 190lbs and 240lbs) who took over that gym by using every single piece of equipment at the same time (be it taking part in the new gym challenge of benching 225lbs for reps, using both the bicep curl and tricep pulldown machine at the same time, using all the benches and weights and all the dumbbells as well) and if that wasn't bad enough did all this to a soundtrack that I instantly recognised as the walk down music for the start of the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest Grand Final at full volume (otherwise known as "Antidote" by the Swedish House Mafia vs Knife Party) Swedish House Mafia vs Knife Party Well, I don't know about you but I couldn't deal with all that and so after my rowing just left quietly and did the errands that I had to do around the town (http://www.mapmywalk.com/workout/2794089626) which I think made up for the disappointment of the day. As did this little piece of information, in those 7½ minutes I rowed 1,339m (178½m per minute = 6.70mph) which I believe is my fastest to date and means that I would be able to complete the 2,000m rowing gym challenge in 11 minutes 12 seconds.
  • dominic
    6 Years ago
    Your body macros and metabolic rates have changed due to the lifting and healthier lifestyle that you have taken on. That doesnt change even when you take a little time off. You still keep the gains and go into a cruiser mode. Muscle remembrance will set back in quite rapidly when you do get back at it. Keep driving and carving it up brother.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    I am pleased to say that the beast from the east has now completely finished and for the first time in I don't know how long I was able to weigh myself properly. The figure reported was 218.6lbs (which means that during the whole time I haven't been able to train thanks to prior commitments or weather problems, I haven't changed all that much at all which I am at a slight loss to explain how). The full details are: Muscle Mass: 36.8%, Bone Mass: 9.2lbs, Body Fat: 16.1%, Water Content: 61.2%, BMI: 27.8 I have booked my next personal training session with the gym owner for April 22nd and will explain to him that we are moving house towards the end of May and that as a result I intend to join the gym in Llanrhystud thanks to the free bus scheme ending, but will also say that if he has no objections to the idea I would like to book another personal training session towards the end of August and then another one before Christmas so that I can see how I am progressing as well as have a gym session with him so he can show me just how strong he is, despite not being a member anymore.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    The things I listed aren't protein powders @brad they are normal everyday foods with larger amounts of protein in that normal (for instance today I had two pancakes made from the pancake mixture, and just like the brownie they were much more stodgy than normal pancakes making me believe that that is a common feature). I shall certainly take on board that advice about when to have them, but I think it will take a little time to work out how to do it. The dumbells I have are four 1.25kg (11lbs in total) and four 2.5kg (22lbs in total) that adds up to 15kg (33lbs) in total.
  • brad
    6 Years ago
    your diet and new meal plan was really good. Highly impressed with your diversity and menu. With your protein powders, you want to get a good isolate in you right after you workout. Isolate strip out all of the dairy and lactose products, as well as sugars and deliver pure protein. its fast acting, super fast absorbing, and works great when the muscles need it the most. At night use a concentrate or casien. they are slow digestive and work while you sleep. As for your workout with the 15s. do you have two, or just a single 33 pound dumbbell? You can do quite a lot with them. You can do rotating chest fly, back fly, standing shoulder, dumbell press, rows, Let me know about how many you have and I will send you over a full routine.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    The idea, as it has been every weekend since August last year, was to go to Aberaeron to the gym this afternoon (Saturday) and tomorrow morning (Sunday) so that I don't watch the closing ceremony of the Paralympics and start blubbing like a baby. However this has been put paid to by "essential highway maintenance" on the main coast road that serves the town that started today and will last until at least Easter which is causing thirty minute queues at the road works and as such mucking up the bus timetable to such a degree no one really knows when the buses leave or arrive. Therefore this week's gym visits, the visit to Lampeter next week for a living history event and the gym session on Easter Saturday are all now essentially abandoned. Therefore could I ask for some advice about what I can do with 15kg in dumbbells only that will take as long as an Winter Paralympic closing ceremony so that I can at least get something in?
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Last week I ordered some protein enhanced foods from a website called MyProtein and having worked my way through them thought that I should give my considered opinion on them (as well as noting the amount of protein per serving) Dr. Zak's High Protein Pasta (24g per 60g = 40% protein): Very nice, but it does lose it's curls when it's cooked and reminds me rather like tagailiatete Protein Brownie (23g per 75g = 31% protein): A little stodgy overall, as if it had been overcooked Own brand low cal penne (0.1g per 100g = 0.1% protein): Call that penne? It reminded me of an octopus Own brand low cal spaghetti (0.1g per 100g = 0.1% protein): Same as the penne Breadstick Bites (4.2g per 100g = 4.2% protein): Now, these were proper breadsticks made into rounded dumplings and tasted very nice indeed Skinny Cookie (25g per 50g = 50% protein): Like the brownie very stodgy Dr. Zak's High Protein Bagels (26g per 100g = 26% protein): Unlike regular bagels went very stale very fast and had to be warmed in the microwave to make it possible to cut into High Protein Chocolate Bar (19g per 70g = 27% protein): Yes please!!! Protein Bites (14g per 30g = 47% protein): Unlike most crisps, these remained crunchy the whole time (and the residue left from transit made a very nice breadcrumb topping for the pasta) The only thing I have not had yet is the protein pancake mix (as I haven't had a chance to make any) but if it is like the brownie and cookie I am expecting great things from it. The total cost of the order was £39 and brings me back to the statement about having to have a regular donation in order to afford buying a box each week.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Nothing has been set in stone yet @thomas but the suggestion is certainly by the end of June at the latest. As to how much the dumbbells are, I really couldn't say but when I am able to I will visit again (as those pictures were taken in early 2016) and ask if it would be possible to take some pictures (explaining that I would like to join as a member) and then make a careful note about what they have available.
  • thomas
    6 Years ago
    Old school. I can dig it. You can do a lot with that stuff. The flat weighted bench you can also seated shoulder press. Stand on each side of the bench and do shrugs. You can even move the bench and do reverse leg press's. On the cable pull down you can do triceps extensions on both rope pull down, and reverse, curls, lat raises, pec fly, shrugs, shoulders, ect. You can get a really good workout with that equipment. How much weight do the dumbbells go up to? I see that there are some in there, so you can get a good mixture of concentration work, power resistance work, and generate a great deal of compound movement work. When do you fully take the move?
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    My grandparents have just launched a surprise on me, which, reminiscent of what happened in July, actually helps me. You may remember that the reason I was able to join the gym in Aberaeron was due to the fact that the bus fare (£4.60) was being scrapped at the weekend making joining a gym cost effective. Well, last week it was confirmed that the scheme will end during the Whitsun Holiday Weekend and that following that ending, consultations will occur as to what happens next. Now, these consultations are never very speedy, indeed there is a consultation on new districts in the UK which started five years ago and has still not reported, so I was beginning to wonder what I could do after that free bus scheme ended. That has been answered by the surprise dropped on me by my grandparents of the fact that we have agreed a house swap arrangement with a relative of ours so that we move into their house and they move into ours. They live in the village of Llanrhystud (about two miles down the road from us) and about half a mile outside the village is a country club / golf club which has the following in it: Bench Press Curls Leg Extension / Hamstring Curls Pec Deck They also have a treadmill, a stepper, a rowing machine, and the most linguine cycling machine I have ever seen. The membership is about five pounds more than the gym at the moment but as it is within walking distance of my new house (plus I will be dumping my cable provider in favour of non satellite television) the money means that I am actually up on the deal. I will therefore arrange with my gym owner at the next personal training session (scheduled for April) that when the free bus scheme finishes I will move my membership there, but to still show support for the gym will ask if I can still have a personal training session in August and December (to track my progress) and at the same time have a training session with him during the rugby off season as he did say he would show me just how strong he was.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Training Sessions: March 10th and 11th 2018 Gym Challenge: Row 500m as fast as possible. Time posted: 2' 26.2" (slowest of the times so far posted) Incline Barbell Bench Press: Set One: 10 x 20kg, Set Two: 5 x 25kg, Set Three: 2 x 30kg, Failed at 35kg Cable Crossover: Set One: 10 x 3kg, Set Two: 10 x 6kg, Set Three: 10 x 9kg, Set Four: 4 x 15kg, Failed at 21kg Cable Curls: Set One: 13 x 21kg, Set Two: 10 x 27kg, Failed at 33kg Rope Push Downs: Set One: 20 x 21kg, Set Two: 20 x 27kg, Set Three: 8 x 33kg, Failed at 39kg Today I went to an audition for the George Bernard Shaw play "Pygmalion" on which "My Fair Lady" is based. The auction was held at the local Arts Centre in Aberystwyth and so I decided to walk there from the bus stop. You may ask "What has this to do with training?" to which I would reply "The Arts Centre is at the top of a hill that sees an increase in height of 77m over 1,010m (an average gradient of 8%)" and you get an idea of what I did. The walk from the bottom of the hill to the top took me 35 minutes at an average pace of 29' 48" per mile and I am pleased to report that I did not feel winded or indeed anything like as hot the last time I did it a few months ago so I would deem that an improvement overall.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    I am pleased to report that for the first time in a week, we didn't freeze overnight. Last night's minimum was 33.4°F (+0.8°C) compared to a low of 21.7°F (-5.7°C) on February 28th is a godsend, however it was still a little on the chilly side to weigh myself naked so with clothes on I am 224lbs and therefore allowing for the weight of clothes 218 - 220lbs (mid point 219lbs). I will measure myself later on today and post those measurements this evening.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Whilst "The Beast from the East" may now have finished (after completely avoiding Ceredigion completely) the impact on the local bus services is unlikely to sort itself out until at least Monday so this weekend will be purely a "How am I doing two months down the line?" weekend and will comprise of a) measuring and b) taking photos. Therefore I would like to know a) would members prefer the measurements in inches or centimetres (and if there is a split of opinion I can do both) and b) should the photographs be posed (as in a contest), just standard or a combination of the two?
  • doug
    6 Years ago
    @bigtiger @bigtiger @bigtiger What, did I make a mistake??? Sorry, had to do it man. Its good that he tagged you. I wouldnt have known that. See, you have support from across the ponds too.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    My apologies Brian, I didn't realise that was the case. In this instance I only tagged you so that you were aware that the forfeit had been completed and that a video will be made soon as proof.
  • BigTiger
    6 Years ago
    Can I make a request that we Not "tag" me in the Forums? It then posts it on my Wall, and unlike Facebook, I have no way here to sort it, hide it, etc.
  • walter
    6 Years ago
    Solid work mate. As for the cable, I wouldnt worry too much about the amount your pushing on that. Just be sure to use strict form, do full range of motion and really activate the isolated muscles. You can get really good concentration contractions on cables, especially on fly and push downs. On your push downs, to them front facing, but also turn around and do them forward over the head. they really dig deep into the higher and middle heads nicely.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Training Session : February 25th 2018 Walk to the Gym: 0.86miles in 33 minutes Rowing Machine: 1,322m in 7½ minutes = 2.94m/s = 6.57mph Cable Curl: Set One: 6 x 21kg, Set Two: 6 x 27kg, Set Three: 5 x 33kg Rope Pull Down: Set One: 20 x 21kg, Set Two: 15 x 27kg, Set Three: 5 x 33kg Barbell Calf Raise: Set One: 30 x 20kg, Set Two: 20 x 30kg, Set Three: 9 x 40kg, Set Four: 12 x 45kg, Set Five: 8 x 50kg As part of a wager I made with @bigtiger I stated that whichever team with both a Welsh and Oregon element (the woman's two man bob and the USA3 four man bob) has the fastest start time combined in the Winter Olympics, the loser would have to do the same number of reps as whole seconds of the weight expressed in hundredths. Team USA trounced Team GB into a cocked hat by recording a combined start time of 19.86 seconds (compared to Team GB's 22 seconds) however as I can not lift 86lbs in a way that is challenging, I opted for 38 reps of 43lbs on the bench press (which I did over four sets with 13, 7, 8 and 10 reps respectively). I will be putting a video of this wager online (once I have sourced the bobsleigh start times) and would like to know when I upload it if I may post it here with a view to generating some Commonwealth Games themed wagers in April.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Physical Measurements : February 25th 2018 (with change from start of year) Bodyweight: 219.8lbs (+1.4lbs) Bodyfat: 16.4% (+0.5%) Estimated Lean Muscle Mass: 183.75lbs (unchanged) Water Content: 61.0% (-0.4%) BMI 27.9 (+0.1) Muscle Mass: 36.5% (-0.8%) Bone Mass: 9.2lbs (unchanged) I have to admit that I am quite frankly not in the least bit surprised, with all my errands over the last two weekends I have only really had non training sessions in the gym, however thanks to the closing ceremony of the Winter Olympics today that won't happen. The ceremony starts at 11.00am GMT today and is expected to last until around 2.00pm, therefore I shall catch the 11.27am service to arrive in Aberaeron at 11.38am and then catch the next service back after the opening ceremony has finished (3.40pm) giving me a minimum of two hours in the gym (1.00pm to 3.00pm) and plenty of time to do my errands either side.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    If I had to put a finger on it myself @dominic I would put it down to this (as demonstrated very nicely at the closing ceremony in Athens 2004). When the Olympics are on, countries that wouldn't think twice about pounding each other into the ground, stop and compete against each other on the field of sport instead of killing each other. When the Flame is extinguished, that reason goes as well and it is down to us to ensure that we carry the Olympic Flame with us all the time to ensure that peace reigns between Olympics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Hpv-Naa28
  • dominic
    6 Years ago
    Right there with you. I think its due to the fact that every nation puts out their very best athletes and they showcase their country, sport, devotion, and sacrifice. To represent your country and compete on the largest stage against the worlds best is the ultimate honor. Now couple that with it only coming around every 4 years and naturally it would choke up many. Every country and every athlete has a story, and when told, its just kick ass.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Last weekend (February 17th) I appeared in a community theatre production of "The Three Musketeers" as a royal herald thus completing a twenty year around trip from starting out in community theatre. The following morning however, the muscle directly below the back of my knee flexed (at 4.30am) and woke me up so as a precaution I decided not to go to the gym that Sunday. Tomorrow I am doing an errand for my grandmother in Carmarthen (buying lots of frames) and then will be going to the gym on Sunday. This will be regardless of the estimated 23°F windchill (air temperature of 43°F, wind of 20mph) for one very simple reason. Sunday morning (British time) will see the closing ceremony of the Winter Olympics and since the closing ceremony of Sydney in 2000, I have never been able to watch the Olympic Flame being extinguished without blubbing like a baby. I have no idea why this is but Sydney 2000, Athens 2004, Turin 2006, Beijing 2008 all saw me turn into a big baby so I went out of the room during London 2012 and Sochi 2014, so this time I will be recording the whole ceremony whilst making up for lost time.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Training and Physical Measurements : February 10th and 11th 2018 Training : February 10th 2018 Rowing Machine: 1,205m in 7½ minutes = 6.025mph (Not helped by my pumps slipping out of the footholds more than once) Dumbbell Hammer Curls: Set One: 10 x 7.5kg, Set Two: 10 x 10kg, Set Three: 4 x 12.5kg (couldn't even manage one of 15kg) Dumbbell Concentration Curls: Set One: 7 x 7.5kg, Set Two: 4 x 10kg, Set Three: 1 x 12.5kg Cable Curls: Set One: 8 x 21kg, Set Two: 8 x 27kg Rope Push Down: Set One: 10 x 21kg, Set Two: 13 x 27kg, Set Three: 10 x 33kg I would have done more than that but errands and a very busy gym meant it was darned impossible. But that may have been a blessing in disguise because no sooner had I got back home than it started to pour with rain. It rained all last night and today we've had everything snow showers, hail showers, sleet showers and one occasion all three within ten minutes, so no weight measurement at all today because of the cold and errands. Next weekend, I am attending my theatrical role as a herald in a community theatre production of "The Three Musketeers" so all my training will be on the Sunday only (that is assuming the SSW / polar vortex breakdown that happened last night doesn't decide to throw a spanner in the works
  • thomas
    6 Years ago
    LOL. Yea, legs are not many peoples favorite, but they are vital. You wont grow the upper body nearly as big and hard without working the lower body too. You need to work full body to really grow to full potential. Skipping legs is never advised. When you work legs, your also activating blood cells, VO levels, and all of that helps all of your training goals. Keep with it my man. your on a hell of a roll, and staying really true to your ambition.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    On a related point, I am sure that a lot of people have seen these postings on social media from bodybuilders indicating that leg day is the one day they try to avoid. Now prior to yesterday I could understand why they would think that but put it down to overdoing the problems on their part, however today I have a little bit of sympathy for them as the DOMS in my quads has made going up and down the stairs doing my caring duties and cat feeding duties (whilst not painful) certainly very uncomfortable.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Training and Physical Measurements: February 3rd and 4th 2018 Training Session : February 3rd 2018 Rowing: 1,251m in 7½ minutes = 2.78m/s = 6.25mph In a fortnight's time I shall be appearing as a herald to Their Majesties King Louis XIII of France and Queen Anne of Austria in a community theatre production of "The Three Musketeers" so as I only had a little time in the gym, due to having a large number of errands, I thought I might get some heraldic deference to "my liege" in, and so managed three sets of four bodyweight lunges exclaiming "My liege!", "I swear loyalty" and making a slight nod to Doctor Who "My life at your defence", that was then followed by three sets of four things that are like good mornings (but with a kettlebell) of 4kg, 8kg and then 12kg. Physical Measurements : Feburary 4th 2018 It's been another cold morning so no naked weigh in and data but the range is between 217lbs and 219lbs
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    I forgot to add it at the time, but here's my Patreon page which I hope that members will support me via Making Muscular Music
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    The first weight measurement I took was on July 26th 2017 which recorded me as 213.6lbs and a few days later came up with the following additional information: Body Fat: 14.6%, Water Content: 62.5%, BMI 26.9, Muscle Mass: 37.3%, Bone Mass: 9.0lbs. This means that compared with the most recent full data set, the changes are as follows: Bodyweight: 218.4lbs = +4.8lbs (+2.2%) Body Fat: 16.0% = +1.4% (+9.6%) Estimated Lean Muscle Mass: 183.46lbs = +1.05lbs (+0.57%) Water Content: 61.3% = -1.2% (-1.9%) Muscle Mass: 36.5% = -0.8% (-2.1%) Which I think means that yes, I have gained some muscle since the start of August but nothing really to write home about (thus proving what I said about being protein deficient). Don't you worry @dominic as I said right at the very start I never wanted to become like this sort of person For the simple reason I wouldn't want to in a million years, no, if I step on stage I want to look like this The other reason I think I am not doing quite as well as I should is I haven't a clue what half of these terms mean. Therefore could I ask what you mean by "volume concentration" and "gravity concentration on the con and eccentric mechanics". Oh, and on the subject of the weather, I know it's been bitterly cold there, so much so that I wonder if I ought to invite you to spend a week here in Wales where the coldest we have been down to is 35°F
  • dominic
    6 Years ago
    what was your starting weight again? Brother, I totally feel you on the cold. Here in NJ its damn cold and to the point it just goes right to the bone. How you walk to and from the gym is beyond cool. As for a go fund me, I think its a smart plan and one that many will gravitate to. Your doing this for the right reasons and for the betterment of your whole being. Your not doing it to be Mr. Olympia and shooting yourself up with gear. Your not going to use the money to go and buy test, HGH, Tren, and pin yourself with shit. I am also digging your diversity and variety in the gym. This week try to mix in some volume concentration work. Do high rep, gravity concentration on the con and eccentric mechanics, and really pin those muscle fibers. Have the grow stronger and then go for some heavy lifts the following week.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Physical and Training Data for January 27th / 28th 2018 January 27th 2018 Rowing Machine: 1,333m in 450 seconds = 2.96 m/s = 6.7 mph (Estimated Gym Challenge (2,000m) = 11 mins 16 secs Flat Barbell Bench Press: Set One: 10 x 20kg, Set Two: 8 x 25kg, Set Three: 6 x 30kg, Set Four: 2 x 35kg (Estimated 1RM = 36kg) Barbell Calf Raise: Set One: 20 x 40kg, Set Two: 11 x 45kg, Set Three: 7 x 50kg (Estimated 1 RM = 60kg) Cable Curl: Set One: 10 x 21kg, Set Two: 7 x 27kg, Set Three: 7 x 33kg, Set Four: 3 x 39kg (Estimated 1RM = 41kg) Tricep Pushdown: Set One: 17 x 21kg, Set Two: 14 x 27kg, Set Three: 8 x 33kg, Set Four: 2 x 39kg (Estimated 1RM = 40kg) I am not convinced that the cable curl and tricep pushdown figures are correct, this is because the weights are not listed in kg or lbs and I am only guessing based on what the owner told me, which he himself does not know doe sure, that the total stack weighs 99kg. My doubts are raised by being able to do 3 reps of 39kg on the cable curl but not being able to curl more than 15kg with a dumbbell Physical Data January 28th 2018 Due to it being very cold this morning, I weighed myself in my clothes which produced a weight of 223lbs (therefore my true weight is 218lbs - 220lbs) Based on my doubts about how much I can actually curl and from the fact that I don't seem to be getting any stronger compared to December 2017 I had a good hard look at my protein intake levels today and have come to the conclusion that I have been protein deficient ever since I was able to feed myself, therefore have decided to combine the suggestion of a GoFundMe scheme as mentioned on the previous thread with the Patreon idea I suggested (so that I can get a regular income to help me buy the protein enhanced foods I need), therefore seek permission to post a link to the page when I have completed it later on today.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Physical Measurements and Training Session : January 21st 2018 Physical Measurements Bodyweight: 218.4lbs (unchanged on January 14th 2018) Body Fat: 16.0% (+0.1% on January 14th 2018) Water Content: 61.3% (-0.1% on January 14th 2018) Muscle Mass: 36.5% (-0.8% on January 14th 2018) Bone Mass: 9.2lbs (unchanged on January 14th 2018) BMI: 27.7 (-0.1 on January 14th 2018) Training Session Rowing Machine: 1,274m in 7½ minutes = 2.83 m/s = 6.37mph Barbell Calf Raise: Set One: 20 x 30kg, Set Two: 20 x 35kg, Set Three: 10 x 40kg, Set Four 12 x 45kg Dumbbell Curl: Set One: 4 x 10kg, Set Two: 2 x 12.5kg I was only able to get to the gym because my grandparents said they were feeling better than on Saturday after the first bus had left and between then and the afternoon bus, I had picked up some errands from them. On the plus side, I believe that I can now call myself hardcore because this was the weather conditions when I got to the gym UK Rainfall Radar at 1.00pm GMT, January 21st 2018
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Members will remember when I first introduced myself that I am a registered carer for my grandparents. This means that the UK government pay me $87 a week in lieu of them spending $522 a week in social care costs (16%) however it does mean that on occasions I cannot do anything. Today and tomorrow are examples of this as my grandparents were not feeling 100% and therefore I spent the whole day ferrying hot water bottles to them to make sure that they were keeping warm. I have no objections to this in the slightest, what it does mean however is that I will not be able to go to the gym this weekend (when the buses are free) and the gym is where I feel I get the best workout. You can see now why I believe the UK government could double (32%) or even triple (48%) the carer's allowance that I get paid so that I could go to the gym any day I wanted knowing that my grandparents are able to look after themselves for a couple of hours when I cannot go due to the reasons mentioned above.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Thank you for the explanation @doug, in that case I do know my 1RM on bench (88lbs) as I failed on 99lbs in December and 94lbs in January, other lifts however would be trickier to assess until my next personal training session which will not be until February (when money and Sion allow) as I have mentioned before finding a training partner or indeed a spotter is not that easy. I will certainly try and see what other 1 RM's I can manage between now and then and report back when I do.
  • doug
    6 Years ago
    A 1 RM is a one rep max weight that you can lift. If your going to try and do any max lift, you want to take the time to really stretch out. I would warm up for a good 10 minutes or so. that way all of your muscles are loose, warm, prepared, elongated, stimulated, and activated. Then I would do a few light rep sets. Lets say that you normally workout on bench with 135. I would do a set of 6 with 90, then do a set of 4 at 120, then a set of 3 at 135. After that take about 5 minutes to walk and swing your arms. Really loosen up fully, and then go for your maximum 1 rep max. Have a spotter when you do it, and if you hit lets say 150 and did it quite easily, then add 10 more pounds, and you and your spotter go for that. Keep going until you literally fail out.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    I will be honest @walter and say that whilst I understand how to calculate one rep maxes (thanks in part to a calculator being on my tablet) I have not actually done any that I can recall (unless you count failures as a one rep max), therefore I am not sure what you mean, could you be so kind as to explain what you mean?
  • walter
    6 Years ago
    your making a tremendous amount of progress. Your weight is going down too. Have you done any one rep max's lately? I am sure that your strength is increasing rapidly. Rowing is one of the best forms of HIIT cardio. it works just about every major muscle group.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Physical Data : January 14th 2018 Bodyweight: 218.4lbs Bone Mass: 9.2lbs Bodyfat: 15.9% BMI: 27.8 Water Content: 61.4% Muscle Mass: 37.3% Training Report : January 13th 2018 Rowing Machine: 1,172m in 7½ minutes = 156mpm = 5.81mph (Target by April 2018 = 7mph) Standing Cable Bicep Curl: Set One 20 x 3kg, Set Two 20 x 6kg, Set Three 14 x 9kg, Set Four 6 x 15kg Standing Calf Raise: Set One 30 x 20kg, Set Two 24 x 25kg, Set Three 30 x 30kg Sadly due to a combination of the bus running late and having to do errands at the same time, that is all I could manage, and today I have a political meeting
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    If I am being honest @thomas, that hasn't happened. That said when Sion suggested that I try doing a standing calf raise with 50kg (110lbs) he did have to explain that he wasn't trying to make me hate leg day, but that thanks to all the walking I had done my calves were a lot stronger than I thought they were (which was proven). That in turn brought up a conversation about how, thanks to being bullied between 1985 and 1991 (for cultural reasons) it wasn't until 2002 that I even thought about exercising and if it had not been for the free bus scheme that was introduced I would probably still have never set foot in a gym, let alone become a member of one.
  • thomas
    6 Years ago
    that is totally natural bro. Most of us get so use to our reflection in the mirror that we dont notice the small changes any longer. I am sure that many people all around you are telling you that they see a massive difference. The changes come rapid during the first 12 months, and then they start to come gradually. That is when you really have to muscle through it. The first 6 months muscle hypertrophy is generated at a rate that is faster than it will ever be again. Its after that period that you start to reach a state of muscle maturity and you fine tune the overall development of what you want your physique to look like.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Thank you very much indeed @stacy for that vote of confidence. If you are expecting me to reply with the following: He-Man Then I am sorry to say that you will be a tad disappointed. I am feeling exactly the same as when I started and believe this is down to the fact that I am so level headed. As to progress well, I am of the opinion that as I haven't really tested myself so far (save the bench press which is unchanged since before Christmas) the best time to ask me would be at the end of March when I am hoping to be able to bench no less than 56% and up to 72% of my bodyweight and at the same time see what I can manage on those exercises I did yesterday. As to noticing them in the mirror, I shall be honest and say no, but then realise that I could be falling into the "familairty breeds contempt" trap (i.e I see myself every day and therefore wouldn't notice any even if I had) but also believe I may have a problem with regard to protein consumption as I alluded to in the last post of my introductory phase.
  • stacy
    6 Years ago
    Great work here Harry. New personal bests, and you seem to really be sticking with this full throttle. I really think your war path is perfect, especially with your weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual progress measurements. How are you feeling? Are you starting to notice gains and progress in the mirror and in your mind? Congrats by the way!!!
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Personal Training Session : January 7th 2018 Warm Up: 1,222 m on a rowing machine in 7½ minutes (Average speed: 1.629 m/s = 3.64mph) Dumbbell Curls: Set One: 20 reps of 5kg, Set Two 7 reps of 7.5kg Flat Barbell Bench Press: Set One: 15 reps of 20kg, Set 2: 10 reps of 25kg, Set Three: 7 reps of 30kg, Set Four: 5 reps of 35kg, Set Five: 2 reps of 40kg. Failure at 42.5kg (43.8% of bodyweight) Cable Curls: Set One: 5 reps of 39kg, Set Two: 3 reps of 45kg Barbell Calf Raise: Set One: 6 reps of 20kg, Set Two: 10 reps of 50kg, Set Three 1 rep of 70kg (not because my calves could raise the weight, it was my shoulders that couldn't support the weight) Rope Push Down: Set One: 8 reps of 33kg, 5 reps of 39kg New Records were established in Bench Press, Cable Curl, Calf Raise and Rope Push Down Due to the equipment it was not possible to do leg extensions or hamstring curls but alternatives (walking lunges and kettlebell good mornings) were discussed and demonstrated.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Schedule for Sunday January 7th Personal Training Session The aim today is to train calves, quads, hams, biceps, triceps and chest by means of calf raises, leg extensions, hamstring curls, cable tricep pulldowns, cable bicep curls and bench presses. I will also be discussing with Sion this long term plan and see what recommendations / suggestions he has to offer. I shall be making a record of it on my tablet and camera and will therefore post the tallies later on today (including bodyweight)