My Bodybuilding Journey

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Harry Hayfield Harry Hayfield 1 day, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Forums Training, Circuits, Exercises, Best Practices Over Age 40 My Bodybuilding Journey

• Author
    Profile photo of Harry Hayfield
    Harry Hayfield
    Participant

As I mentioned in my last post I have decided that by this time in 2024 I want to be able to say that I have stepped onto the competition stage (reaffirming what I have said about very long term goals) therefore starting tomorrow I will do the following things

Every week
    Record my bodyweight and using the scales I have the body data that it gives
    Every weekend (until at least April 28th / 29th)
    Train at the gym with a view to build strength on the Saturday and endurance on the Sunday
    Every month
    Measure my biceps, pecs, quads and calves both relaxed and flexed and have a personal training session with the gym owner to test my strength
    Every quarter
    Take posed (and in the same vein as @bigtoger naked) photos and distribute (where appropriate) to people for assessment and recommendations for future
    Every year
    Record a posing video (in posing shorts) for formal critique of posing style and muscular development

Harry Hayfield
    Participant

Schedule for Sunday January 7th Personal Training Session
    The aim today is to train calves, quads, hams, biceps, triceps and chest by means of calf raises, leg extensions, hamstring curls, cable tricep pulldowns, cable bicep curls and bench presses. I will also be discussing with Sion this long term plan and see what recommendations / suggestions he has to offer. I shall be making a record of it on my tablet and camera and will therefore post the tallies later on today (including bodyweight)

Harry Hayfield
    Participant

Personal Training Session : January 7th 2018
    Warm Up: 1,222 m on a rowing machine in 7½ minutes (Average speed: 1.629 m/s = 3.64mph)
    Dumbbell Curls: Set One: 20 reps of 5kg, Set Two 7 reps of 7.5kg
    Flat Barbell Bench Press: Set One: 15 reps of 20kg, Set 2: 10 reps of 25kg, Set Three: 7 reps of 30kg, Set Four: 5 reps of 35kg, Set Five: 2 reps of 40kg. Failure at 42.5kg (43.8% of bodyweight)
    Cable Curls: Set One: 5 reps of 39kg, Set Two: 3 reps of 45kg
    Barbell Calf Raise: Set One: 6 reps of 20kg, Set Two: 10 reps of 50kg, Set Three 1 rep of 70kg (not because my calves could raise the weight, it was my shoulders that couldn’t support the weight)
    Rope Push Down: Set One: 8 reps of 33kg, 5 reps of 39kg

New Records were established in Bench Press, Cable Curl, Calf Raise and Rope Push Down

Due to the equipment it was not possible to do leg extensions or hamstring curls but alternatives (walking lunges and kettlebell good mornings) were discussed and demonstrated.

Profile photo of Stacy Ford
    Stacy Ford
    Participant

Great work here Harry. New personal bests, and you seem to really be sticking with this full throttle. I really think your war path is perfect, especially with your weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual progress measurements. How are you feeling? Are you starting to notice gains and progress in the mirror and in your mind? Congrats by the way!!!

Harry Hayfield
    Participant

Thank you very much indeed @stacy for that vote of confidence. If you are expecting me to reply with the following:

He-Man

Then I am sorry to say that you will be a tad disappointed. I am feeling exactly the same as when I started and believe this is down to the fact that I am so level headed. As to progress well, I am of the opinion that as I haven’t really tested myself so far (save the bench press which is unchanged since before Christmas) the best time to ask me would be at the end of March when I am hoping to be able to bench no less than 56% and up to 72% of my bodyweight and at the same time see what I can manage on those exercises I did yesterday. As to noticing them in the mirror, I shall be honest and say no, but then realise that I could be falling into the “familairty breeds contempt” trap (i.e I see myself every day and therefore wouldn’t notice any even if I had) but also believe I may have a problem with regard to protein consumption as I alluded to in the last post of my introductory phase.

Profile photo of Thomas Stewart
    Thomas Stewart
    Participant

that is totally natural bro. Most of us get so use to our reflection in the mirror that we dont notice the small changes any longer. I am sure that many people all around you are telling you that they see a massive difference. The changes come rapid during the first 12 months, and then they start to come gradually. That is when you really have to muscle through it. The first 6 months muscle hypertrophy is generated at a rate that is faster than it will ever be again. Its after that period that you start to reach a state of muscle maturity and you fine tune the overall development of what you want your physique to look like.

Harry Hayfield
    Participant

If I am being honest @thomas, that hasn’t happened. That said when Sion suggested that I try doing a standing calf raise with 50kg (110lbs) he did have to explain that he wasn’t trying to make me hate leg day, but that thanks to all the walking I had done my calves were a lot stronger than I thought they were (which was proven). That in turn brought up a conversation about how, thanks to being bullied between 1985 and 1991 (for cultural reasons) it wasn’t until 2002 that I even thought about exercising and if it had not been for the free bus scheme that was introduced I would probably still have never set foot in a gym, let alone become a member of one.

Harry Hayfield
    Participant

Physical Data : January 14th 2018
    Bodyweight: 218.4lbs
    Bone Mass: 9.2lbs
    Bodyfat: 15.9%
    BMI: 27.8
    Water Content: 61.4%
    Muscle Mass: 37.3%

Training Report : January 13th 2018
    Rowing Machine: 1,172m in 7½ minutes = 156mpm = 5.81mph (Target by April 2018 = 7mph)
    Standing Cable Bicep Curl: Set One 20 x 3kg, Set Two 20 x 6kg, Set Three 14 x 9kg, Set Four 6 x 15kg
    Standing Calf Raise: Set One 30 x 20kg, Set Two 24 x 25kg, Set Three 30 x 30kg
    Sadly due to a combination of the bus running late and having to do errands at the same time, that is all I could manage, and today I have a political meeting

Profile photo of Walter Therman
    Walter Therman
    Participant

your making a tremendous amount of progress. Your weight is going down too. Have you done any one rep max’s lately? I am sure that your strength is increasing rapidly.

Rowing is one of the best forms of HIIT cardio. it works just about every major muscle group.

Harry Hayfield
    Participant

I will be honest @walter and say that whilst I understand how to calculate one rep maxes (thanks in part to a calculator being on my tablet) I have not actually done any that I can recall (unless you count failures as a one rep max), therefore I am not sure what you mean, could you be so kind as to explain what you mean?

Profile photo of Doug Hampton
    Doug Hampton
    Participant

A 1 RM is a one rep max weight that you can lift. If your going to try and do any max lift, you want to take the time to really stretch out. I would warm up for a good 10 minutes or so. that way all of your muscles are loose, warm, prepared, elongated, stimulated, and activated. Then I would do a few light rep sets. Lets say that you normally workout on bench with 135. I would do a set of 6 with 90, then do a set of 4 at 120, then a set of 3 at 135. After that take about 5 minutes to walk and swing your arms. Really loosen up fully, and then go for your maximum 1 rep max. Have a spotter when you do it, and if you hit lets say 150 and did it quite easily, then add 10 more pounds, and you and your spotter go for that. Keep going until you literally fail out.

Harry Hayfield
    Participant

Thank you for the explanation @doug, in that case I do know my 1RM on bench (88lbs) as I failed on 99lbs in December and 94lbs in January, other lifts however would be trickier to assess until my next personal training session which will not be until February (when money and Sion allow) as I have mentioned before finding a training partner or indeed a spotter is not that easy. I will certainly try and see what other 1 RM’s I can manage between now and then and report back when I do.

Harry Hayfield
    Participant

Members will remember when I first introduced myself that I am a registered carer for my grandparents. This means that the UK government pay me $87 a week in lieu of them spending $522 a week in social care costs (16%) however it does mean that on occasions I cannot do anything. Today and tomorrow are examples of this as my grandparents were not feeling 100% and therefore I spent the whole day ferrying hot water bottles to them to make sure that they were keeping warm. I have no objections to this in the slightest, what it does mean however is that I will not be able to go to the gym this weekend (when the buses are free) and the gym is where I feel I get the best workout. You can see now why I believe the UK government could double (32%) or even triple (48%) the carer’s allowance that I get paid so that I could go to the gym any day I wanted knowing that my grandparents are able to look after themselves for a couple of hours when I cannot go due to the reasons mentioned above.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.