I think I would class myself as a beginner

Having got over, if not completely then certainly a large amount, my loss in the local elections, it seems reasonable to make those 34 miles of walking count towards something, therefore would like to know firstly people's thoughts on what I look like at the moment and (on the proviso that you will not burst out laughing) what I would like to look like at some point in the future, followed by what I can and cannot do at this present moment in time to achieve that. Now, when it comes to posting pictures of me, I have no qualms in the slightest (after all how many people can claim to have a picture of them being covered in custard pie mix as part of community theatre pantomime production) however when it comes to picture regarding physiques I am far more conservative (so hope that you will excuse the lack of a face in this picture taken today) Most Muscular May 2017 Now, as to what I would like to look like in the future is where the humour may start, you see I may have ideas that are just a little above my station (if only because I have been influenced by both literature and movies). I know that if money, access to a gym and a dedicated mind-set was no object then I would not say no to looking something like this He-Man Similarly, I know that if I just wanted to become someone who had so much strength at their disposal they could hire themselves out as a bob a jobbing strongman, I would look like this Porthos But the one thing I would never want to become is someone who looks lean but with hardly any practical strength at all Male Model Now while that all sounds very reasonable, here are the problems I have. 1) I only earn as a registered carer for my grandparents £63 a week (around $82 a week) which has to be split in the following proportions. 33% for food, 25% for telecoms providers, 25% for television providers and 17% for pension provision. Now I know the first thing you are going to say is "Do you really need to pay for your television?" to which the answer comes as part of reason 2) As well as looking after my grandparents, my aunt lives with us as well (having been kicked out of her own home by her former boyfriend) and so as a result needs the movie package to be able to watch in the evenings. She does contribute to that, but only 16% of the monthly cost because she is not currently employed despite sending off loads of applications, thus the following reason comes into play namely 3) I have no room in this house to train on my own and as you might have guessed from my money I do not have any resources to buy a membership gym (which then raises the issue of getting to it as I cannot afford a car). By now there is a good chance that Brian, who I have been generous to in the past with regard to his fitness goals is panicking to which I would say "Don't worry, I shall continue to support your goals for the simple reason you're a friend and I always help my friends where and when possible" So that's my current situation. You have all been so very supportive during my election campaign so I am hoping that that support will show itself again with this question.
  • walter
    6 Years ago
    DOMS is a sign of a great workout. Means you really dug deep into the fibers and generated some really good hypertrophy. You are correct, age is just a number. You can certainly look like that heading into 50. The real key is to ensure that your getting the right macros. Make sure that you nutrition, and keeping your caloric intake matched with your caloric output. Try to not get into deficits, or surplus's. You should come up with go fund me type of campaign. I realize that funds are tight and your doing the best you can with what you have, so if a little help goes a long way, I say you should do it.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    It's been a week since I set my new benchmarks (and I am pleased to report that from Monday until Wednesday I had the most magnificent DOMS in my upper pecs). During that time I have been pondering (which is usually a sign for everyone to rush towards the exits) and have come up with the following. If I can go from, in effect, no bench press max to 89lbs in the space of four months (and even if the gains thereafter are inversely parabolic) then that would suggest that by the time the free bus scheme ends in April I should be able to bench 134lbs, if that is indeed the case (which would be a 62% bodyweight bench assuming that I stay where I am weight wise) then I believe the next question to ask is "Why stop there?" and this has been prompted by this video posted on YouTube by Richard Baldwin (now a retired professor of humanities at a university in Florida, but back in the day looked like this) Richard Baldwin Magazine Cover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icn_ay-Jtw0 Now, if Richard who was a champion bodybuilder in the seventies and is still keeping muscular in his seventies can manage that, then I cannot see any reason why by the time I am 50 in 2024 I shouldn't be able to step onto a stage (even if it's with you lot in attendance) and do a posing routine. Now, this is clearly a very long term plan (in fact potentially one of the longest term plans I have ever done) but as with all things there are problem along the way, the first of which is protein, however there is a way around this. There is a company in the UK called MuscleFood (which as its name suggests) deals entirely with food for athletes and as you might guess it is very heavy on the meat (which for me is a problem) so you can imagine my surprise when having a little browse I came across protein enriched cheese, protein enriched pancakes and (something I am still having a slight problem trying to process) protein enriched bread (Yes, you heard me right, protein enriched bread). However this brings up another problem. Three loaves of protein enriched bread costs £10.50 (around $14.18) where as three loaves of normal bread costs around £3 ($4) and for someone who is only getting welfare payments of £62 a week ($84) you can see where the problem arises, but never let it be said that I cannot think of solutions, and one solution that I have been made aware of is Patreon. This is a relatively new scheme were people pay people a regular contribution a month for a service (ranging from art works to musical compositions) and in return the person gives those people access to works before everyone else. I am pondering the idea of starting one of these where in return for a regular contribution per month (to help me buy all these protein enriched foods) I use what skills I have on the following context: For a $1 regular contribution (based on your age, height, weight and class) I come up with a suggestion of genre For a $5 regular contribution (based on your age, height, weight and class) I come up with a suggestion of the name of a band For a $10 regular contribution (based on your age, height, weight and class) I come up with a suggestion of a song / piece of music For a $25 regular contribution (based on your age, height, weight and class) I come up with a suggestion of a posing routine and for a $50 regular contribution (based on your age, height, weight and class) I come up with a complete posing routine (music. poses and transitions) for your next contest. Therefore I am putting that idea out there for a discussion and ask "Would you be willing to help me, if I was able to help you?"
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    I have just got back from the gym have the following to report: Warm Up (Rowing Machine): 843 m in five minutes (6.3 miles per hour) compared to 346m in two and half minutes (5.2 miles per hour) = 21% improvement Then under the supervision of Sion I did my bench press attempts Set One: Ten reps of the bar on it's own (45lbs) Set Two: Five reps of bar + 5kg (56lbs) Set Three: Five reps of bar + 10kg (67lbs) Set Four: Three reps of bar + 15kg (78lbs) Video Recording made Set Five: One rep of bar + 20kg (89lbs) Set Six: Failed at bar + 25kg (100lbs) Video Recording made
  • dominic
    6 Years ago
    Your BF will change give or take based upon a ton of factors. If you carb loaded the day before or day of a test, it will throw the test way off. Too much saturated fat for a day will also send the mechanics way off too. Dont worry too much about the stat as the mirror is the best way to determine your progress. I would suggest doing supersets with cables as well as drop setting with weights. If your trying to grow your strength, supersets and drop sets are a great way to generate muscle hypertrophy. Its all about getting as much time under tension and muscle tissue stimulation. Each time you work heavy or superset your making micro rips to the fibers that will grow back stronger. Just keep eating clean, stick with the training, switching things up, upping the weight, keeping it fresh, and your stats and goals will be all yours brother.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Today is December 17th 2017 and is the day of my dip, pull up and bench attempts. It is also the say when @doug finds out whether I have done what he hoped I would do. On July 30th he said that I could get to 175lbs by the end of the year he would donate $50, I said that this was a little unlikely and would aim for the top end of the range (205lbs) and therefore adjust by ratios. I have just weighed myself naked (thanks to the weather warming up) and I can inform you that my weight is 214.6lbs (this is one pound heavier than I was at the start of this process, therefore in regard to the wager, I owe Doug $1.31, which if he gives me an e-mail address via a private message I will be only to happy to give to him on Monday). With regard to the other measurements here are the figures on July 29th and the comparable figures today BMI: was 26.9 is now 27.4 (+0.5) Muscle Mass: was 37.3 is now 37.2 (-0.1) Bodyfat: was 14.6% is now 15.4% (+0.8%) Water: was 62.5% is now 61.7% (-0.8%) Bone Mass: was 9.0lbs is now 9.0lbs (unchanged) So as I asked at the beginning a critical assessment of these numbers would be exceptionally welcome. With regard to today's bench attempts, the aim is to get as close to 50% bodyweight (107.3lbs) as is physically possible. Now, having learnt that the bar weighs 45lbs to begin with (and knowing that I can bench that eight times already) that means I know I can do 21% bodyweight bench right out of the gate, therefore the first attempt will be 25% bodyweight (53.7lbs) or as close to that figure as can be managed in kg. That attempt will then be followed by an extra 10.73lbs (5%) until I cannot do eight reps (thus setting a max bench for reps) however I will then carry on by attempting a max bench for a single rep (and this is the reason I have had to in effect hire the gym owner to be my spotter). Therefore the sequence of lifts will be along these lines: Attempt One: Bar on its own (45lbs = 20kg) Attempt Two: Bar + 11lbs (56lbs = 25kg) Attempt Three: Bar + 22lbs (67lbs = 30kg) I will consult with the gym owner about whether I should superset with cable crossovers whilst he is adding the extra weight and will ask for his assistance with the pullups and the dips and will be recording the whole thing with a view to creating a YouTube video as demonstration of my attempts.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    The weather forecast actually came true, as about twenty minutes after I made that post it did start to snow (and continued to do so for a good fourteen hours afterwards) and although it only produced about an inch and a half of snow on the pavements it certainly justified my decision not to go anywhere yesterday, as this picture from one of the nearby villages shows Digging away the snow Clearly, @walter great minds think alike, as I was pondering telling Sion that I would like start with no weights on the bar and then after doing eight reps add either 2½kg or 5kg (dependent on his professional opinion) onto the bar until I cannot manage 8 reps (thus determining my max for reps) and then following your suggestion of just going for it to find my 1RM (and will warn him in advance that when I have set new maxes on the cables I have been known to roar and flex) with a view to seeing how much I can do (which given that I have no idea how much I can do will be a complete and welcome surprise (and yes, I promise to post all the information I gather include in the morning my weigh in to see if I owe someone any money or the other way around)
  • walter
    6 Years ago
    The weather forecasts change like the winds. Honestly, I live here in NJ and its in the snow belt. If I had a dime for every time that the weather called for snow and there wasnt any I could retire. Same holds true the other way. They call for 12 inches of snow and that a blizzard is on the way, and it turns out to be in the 40s and clear skies. Its a gamble. Good luck next weekend and publish your results. At this junction, and having a trainer/spotter, I would say go for broke. I would do a max and see what kind of progress you have made over the last few weeks. I would venture to say that you can more than double what you started out with. Your 1RM would surprise you. Just make sure you warm up, stretch out, and do a few lighter sets with about 5 minutes of rest time before your attempt. Once the muscles are warm and all of the fibers are loose, ready, peaked, and at their full readiness, you will be able to conquer grounds that you didnt even know you could. Now I know your long term goal isnt to be a posing bodybuilder, nor do you aspire to walk about like some meat head, but strength needs to be tested. Once you really get the full mechanics down like you have, going for a rep max to gage success and such is a smart play.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Weigh in: December 10th 2017 Weight recorded: 220.2lbs (therefore I can be no lower than 214.2lbs and no higher than 216.2lbs) -2lbs on last week The forecast of snow for this weekend has been reinforced so many times over the last few days that any attempt to go to the gym this weekend was abandoned on Wednesday, however I am beginning to wonder whether I should believe snow forecasts ever again? The reason, this map (published in the Daily Express on Thursday) shows the forecast lying snow on Monday at 10.00am GMT Forecast Snow Lying on Monday morning According to that forecast it is estimated that we would get between half an inch and two inches of snow (therefore making travel very difficult) and this morning there is an amber warning (the same as a warning in the United States) of snow for vast parts of country (in a line stretching from the west coast of Wales to almost the East Midlands) indeed the breaking news at this hour is that Birmingham International has closed to enable the snowploughs to clear the runway and in a live report from the M6 in the West Midlands the snow is indeed falling. However, all we have had over the last three days so far is three hail showers that only lasted a combined four minutes between them. Next Sunday is my personal training session with the gym owner where I will be attempting a dip, pull up and as close to a 50% bench as I can and therefore will inform you of how I got on when I get that afternoon.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Weigh In (December 3rd 2017) and Training Report: December 2nd 2017 With a forecast of snow for next weekend, I think that the days of naked weigh ins and over for 2017 therefore the figure for today was no less than 216.2lbs and no higher than 218.2lbs (which poses the question "How come when I have weighed myself I am always something .2lbs?) Yesterday the town of Aberaeron (where the gym is located) held it's community Christmas event where their Christmas tree would be lit at five in the afternoon and so went a little later than I normally do and found the gym empty (well, aside from someone who was doing sprints outside which struck me as a little odd). Now, every month the gym owner sets a challenge and the challenge for December is "Cycle 10k in the shortest time possible", now as I have mentioned before normal bicycles I am not that keen on (due to not being able to balance on them) but exercise bikes not a problem and finding that both had the saddle at the right height had a go, only to discover that both of them weren't working as despite how fast I pedalled neither of them switched on so this month's challenge is a non starter and reasoned that as I had walked 912m in a little over 14 minutes (1.07m/s = 2.4mph) I was relatively warmed up anyway and so decided to have an arms day. Or at least would have done if I had not come across the following sign at the cable machine: Please do not let the weight stacks slam down when using the cables. Please do not leave handles attached to the cables when you have finished using them. The above two reasons are why the cables have snapped after less than eight months use. If we have to keep replacing the cables, the membership price will have to increase, it's that simple. Thank you And when I looked I could indeed see that the cable had indeed snapped and that as a result it wasn't able to be used. Now, as you may come to realise I do quite a bit of pondering when faced with a problem and spent the next ten minutes wondering what I could do and after those ten minutes came up with the following: Incline Dumbell Fly: Set One: 8 x 5kg, Set Two: 8 x 7.5kg, Set Three: 5 x 10kg (personal best) Flat Dumbell Bench: Set One: 8 x 5kg, Set Two: 8 x 7.5kg (however on that second set my left arm felt as it is was being extended just a little too much and so did not attempt a third set) Dumbell Curl: Set One: 8 x 5kg, Set Two: 8 x 7.5kg, Set Three: 8 x 10kg, Set Four: 4 x 12.5kg (personal best, although I should state I am sure I cheated on every single rep). Today I am on a Christmas shopping errand in Carmarthen (but will be taking my tablet with me and recording my wanders through the town on foot to show that just because I am not in a gym, doesn't mean I can't exercise)
  • walter
    6 Years ago
    Your not failing in the slightest. Its highly commendable that your doing all that you do for your grandparents. Anyone who walks over a mile to go grocery shopping for their grandparents has all the heart and character needed to be a winner. Yea, do share out the pics. This time of year always seems to come and go so quickly, so any lasting pics makes it better.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    As members will have seen in the news reports in recent days from the United Kingdom, winter has arrived in this country and although I am pleased to report that it has not been snowing here, the temperature has been knocked down a bit (for instance the temperature in my room when I woke up this morning was on the verge of 50°F, which is the level when a warm fleece wrapped around myself is not enough on its own and will need to be added to by a heater). As a result of this, I regret to say that weigh ins from now on will be estimates (as it is too cold to stand around with nothing on) and as a result body analysis readings cannot be taken. This morning I weighed 220.2lbs fully clothed, therefore believe that I weigh no less than 214.2lbs and no more than 216.2lbs (which at the mid point of 215.2lbs means that I have not changed in weight since last week). The other thing that I have to report which may be of some disappointment is that, as I mentioned when I started, my caring duties have increased again. This is because my grandparents do not believe they are able to do conventional shopping and whilst they are able to do a lot of online shopping with my help, some stores do not offer this, therefore today's gym session (chest and back) has had to be abandoned as they want me to go to the nearest large town and buy a number of gifts. Now before you say "Oh, you're failing on us" I should point out that yesterday I walked over a mile in a little over thirty minutes (on top of multiple trips to the local shop over the past week which clocks up to 931 m in total) and today's shopping trip will add at least another mile to that tally, plus when I am able to I am continuing my behind the head raises and rows with a view to my personal training session on the 17th December. As things stand at the moment I will next be able to go to the gym next Saturday (when the town where it is held will be lighting its Christmas tree) and if members would like I would be only to happy to post a picture of said tree.
  • brad
    6 Years ago
    That is fine. Since your doing this for health and cosmetic aesthetics, your on the right path. The right combo for bodybuilding and putting on crazy mass isn't what I would recommend for you. Doing the full body routines, getting your heart rate up, sticking with clean eating, and maintaining linear progressive training will get you to your target and help maintain it. Its important to set that goal like you did. there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with training and working out with zero desire to be the next Arnold. I really think that if more people had that mindset going into it, they wouldn't get discouraged and quit.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    At the moment I am able to do the following: Saturday / Sunday: Gym and Shopping Errands (for instance next weekend Saturday I am attending a production of "Around the World in Eighty Days" to review for a website about Jules Verne that I am a member of and therefore on Sunday I will be doing chest and back, the following weekend (as things stand at the moment) I will be able to do something on both days in the gym which will then culminate on December 17th with the aim to be able to do at least a dip, pullup and bench up to 50% of bodyweight. As well as that I am still doing what I know understand are called "behind the neck extensions" and rows on Tuesdays and Thursdays. After the 17th, I will start again on January 7th where the aim will be to increase strength by adopting training patterns that strength athletes use (as I get the impression that is what I should have been doing first, increasing strength before even thinking about physique training). I should point out, as I said at the beginning, I am not really looking to be the next Mr. Olympia but just looking to ensure that I am fitter than I was (and given the fact that I can now do tricep pulldowns that are as close to 100lbs as makes no difference, I consider to be a personal triumph)
  • walter
    6 Years ago
    Its good to switch up cardio. Just like weight training, your body, muscles, and system get use to repeating activities. Anything that is done with repetition will cause the body to acclimate to the mechanics. As you continue to do the same thing, the supporting muscles, VO2 levels and such all know exactly what is expected as well as what is to come. You want to shock the system and muscles, so switching it up that will do you a great deal of good. As for your previous question, no. I would NOT do weight training only once a week. That is too much of a lay off between workouts and your giving yourself too much repair time. You ideally want to hit the weights 3 times a week if possible. Doing it twice a week is still going to generate a great amount of results. Your probably seeing reduction in BF and weight due to the amount of cardio your doing. The strength increase is coming because your muscles are reaching a new level of maturity. As we pointed out when you got under way it would take about 6 weeks for you to go through 3 rounds of DOMS, and really get all of the primary and secondary muscles peaking. Now your at the next phase where you can really start making some serious gains. This is the sweet spot. This is where you push to the 6 month mark. The gains will be massive, and people ( including the reflection you see in the mirror) will start to take notice. this is when you will start to see formations, gyrations, and toning of the muscles. Your going to want to really kick this off and finish through the year with a bang brother.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Physical Data and Weigh in : November 19th 2011 Bodyweight: 215.2lbs (+0.4lbs, unchanged) BMI: 27.5 (+0.2, +0.6) Bodyfat: 15.7% (+0.5%, +1.1%) Water Content: 61.5% (-0.2%, -1.0%) Muscle Mass: 36.7% (-0.7%, -0.7%) Bone Content: 9.2lbs (+0.2, +0.2) Training Session : November 19th 2011 Today I started off using the bicycles for a change, but I am not sure if one I used was in working order. There are two bicycles there (both of which have adjustable saddles) but I couldn't work out how to adjust them, thankfully though one of them was the right height for me to sit on however it soon became clear that that bicycle's display wasn't working so I have no idea how far I pedalled or for how long. If there is a problem with Sunday's it is the time constraint as I only have about 82 minutes in the town, today this was restricted to just 52 minutes gym time thanks to having to do some errands, but in that time I did manage to do the following: Pulldowns: 8 x 15, 8 x 21, 8 x 27, 8 x 33, 8 x 39, 8 x 45 Cable Curls: 8 x 15, 8 x 21, 8 x 27, 8 x 33, 8 x 39 and I couldn't even curl 45
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Physical Data and Weigh in : November 12th 2011 Bodyweight: 214.8lbs (-2.0lbs, -0.4lbs) BMI: 27.3 (-0.2, +0.4) Bodyfat: 15.2% (-0.5%, +0.6%) Water Content: 61.7% (+0.2%, -0.8%) Muscle Mass: 37.3% (+0.7%, unchanged) Bone Content: 9.0lbs (-0.2, unchanged) If I was confused last week by such an increase, this week I think I have it sorted. Why has my weight dropped, bodyfat dropped and muscle mass increased so much compared to the long term trend? Because I have not been training with weights and doing a great deal of walking? Therefore does this mean that instead of going to the gym twice a week should I only go once a week and really pound myself into submission and then for the rest of the week go on very long walks?
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Thank you very much indeed @Stacy, although I should point out we do get recognition. This evening, at the Royal Albert Hall in London, the Royal British Legion (who organise the appeal) have a Festival of Remembrance (which has been hosted in the past by people such as Richard Baker) and has been going on since at least 1954 (perhaps even earlier). Since about 1995 (if my memory is correct) during the march past of the armed services, there is also a march past of poppy collectors as well (and therefore if not my personally, then people like me to get recognised) Meet the Poppy Collectors
  • stacy
    6 Years ago
    You really are a remarkable man. I just love how motivated you are for self improvement as well as community awareness. It is so refreshing to see someone who cares so much in a world that only sensationalizes the gloom and doom of society. Literally every time I turn on the news its only about killings, possible wars, and corruption. Here you are, a guy who is trying to make a difference, and doing in all on foot, but yet where are the news cameras???? They are listening to the police scanners trying to find the next big killing or next big event that causes the world to duck and cover. Its a shame. I am so proud of you and what you have done. Not only that, but what you are doing. Your doing it for you, by you, and looking for nothing in return. Its absolutely commendable!!!!
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    That is very kind of you to say @Doug. As I mentioned I shall be attending the service on Sunday, so no gym this weekend, but I will try my best and record some of the service (or link to other footage where I can)
  • doug
    6 Years ago
    Brother you are all heart. Got multi purpose in just about everything you do. Good going brother. You are an oak in my book
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    At the end of October and until the middle of November, I have been collecting for the Poppy Appeal. This year marks the 15th year of collecting (2002 - 2010 Fossyffin, 2011 - present Llanon) and because of the length of time I have been collecting, I have been asked to attend the annual service of remembrance in Aberystwyth this weekend as a Poppy Collector. The Appeal, which started in 1921, was created by Earl Haig, a member of the British Armed Forces during World War I, and works on the same scheme as the numerous wounded warrior projects that exist across the United States at the moment. Last year I was able to collect £149 ($190) which made up half of the total from the village. I have just completed this year's collection which has seen me walk 11½ miles over the course of the last three weeks (a total of 12 walks in total) and would like this to be borne in mind when I post my weight on Sunday. Because of the connection to the appeal I never go anywhere during the weekend, therefore will not be going to the gym this weekend.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Training Report : November 4th 2017 Five minute Row: 809m (I am pretty sure it would have been a lot more if my feet hadn't slipped out of my trainers on more than one occasion) Shrugs: Set 1: 20 x 3kg, Set 2: 20 x 5kg, Set 3: 20 x 7.5kg, Set 4: 20 x 10kg Seated Cable Row: Set 1: 16 x 3kg, Set 2: 16 x 6kg, Set 3: 16 x 9kg, Set 4: 16 x 15kg, Set 5: 16 x 21kg, Set 6: 16 x 27kg, Set 7: 16 x 33kg, Set 8: 16 x 39kg Now, a lot of you will be cheering from the rooftops and saying things like "That's the stuff, you'll be hitting your 1RM of 66½kg in no time and building a back to be proud of", however I would say "That's very kind of you, but at no point did I feel that I was doing it right". For starters, there isn't a chair, you literally sit on the floor and row as you would a boat (as shown in the phot attached), secondly, the weights are labelled 1 - 18 and although I am confident my maths is right, 3,6,9,15,21,27,33,39 and so until 99kg, I cannot believe that I genuinely rowed 39kg for 8 reps in an underhand grip and 8 reps in an overhand grip. And the reason I believe this is the case is because I don't have a training partner for the reasons I have mentioned before (there's virtually no one else in the gym at the time I am and when there is, they are bigger and stronger than me and I don't really want to have myself hinder them at all).
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Well thank you very much for the encouragement @dominic but you are aware I am going up in terms of bodyfat not down? Despite that I believe the training is coming along very nicely indeed. I cannot truly say if I feel stronger (but the fact that I can now do at least six reps of a bench press barbell, at least three reps of 39kg on both bicep curls and tricep pushdowns on a cable machine and row over half a mile in five minutes suggests I must be getting stronger (even if I don't feel it). When I have my personal training session on December 17th where I will attempt a dip, pullup and see how much I can bench then I believe I will be able to give a better reply.
  • dominic
    6 Years ago
    Vast improvement. You getting down to the mark that you want to maintain and build on. Once you get to the 10 to 12 percent, you want to keep that as your maintain weight unless your doing a cut for a show. When you go on stage you want to come in somewhere under 10 percent, shed off all water weight, and come in dry and hard. So your doing very well bro. How is the training coming along? Are you feeling like your getting stronger and starting to see gyrations forming?
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Estimated Bodyfat Reading (based on educated guess): 16.1% (+0.6%, +1.5%)
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Physical Data and Weigh in : October 29th 2017 Bodyweight: 219.0lbs (+3.2lbs on last week, +3.8lbs since July 30th 2017) BMI: 27.8 (+0.4, +0.6) Bodyfat: Unable to record due to scales and camera focus Water Content: 61.7% (-0.1%, -0.5%) Muscle Mass: 36.8% (+0.1%, -0.4%) Bone Content: 9.2lbs (Unchanged, +0.2lbs) Training Session : October 28th 2017 As I always do, I start off with five minutes on the rowing machine and managed to row 866m in that time (an average of 2.89m per second). Using the table in the gym where the all time records are listed, the record a 2,000m for my weight class is 7' 20" (an average of 4.55m per second) meaning that I am rowing at 63.5% of the record. When I mentioned this to the gym owner (who was taking a class) he said "Keep on going". As well as that I did the following: Dumbbell Curls: 8 x 3kg, 8 x 5kg, 8 x 7.5kg, 4 x 10kg which them seemed to change into Dumbbell Hammer Curls: 4 x 10kg, 8 x 12.5kg, 5 x 12kg which I put down to the fact that curls were getting too difficult but that hammer curls were easier to do. Due to the class that was going on, where they were doing pretty much anything and everything (including dumbbell raises, Roman chairs, tricep pushdowns and the November gym challenge of pushing the prowler the length of the gym as often as they could mange in two minutes) I decided to stay in the dumbbell area and did a variation on a theme of pull downs (8 x 5.0kg, 8 x 7.5kg) and having seen how to do front dumbbell raises did 8 x 3.0kg and 6 x 5.0kg) by which time it was getting time to catch the bus. As I was leaving I asked the gym owner if the date for my next personal training session (December 17th) was still okay and he said that he couldn't see any problems, but it would be a good idea to e-mail him nearer the time. That will be the day I shall attempt a dip, a pull-up and a maximum of 50% bodyweight bench press, but I ventured that, like @bigtiger, I was pondering the idea of transitioning from muscle towards strength and noted something that looked like two briefcase handles explaining that I had seen the gym owner post a social media video of him carrying them from one end of the car park to the other and that as I was often carrying things for my grandparents during their exhibitions I felt moderately confident that I might make a little big more progress there and in muscle building, to which he seemed only too happy and so provisionally arranged another one on January 6th (after the buses get back to normal following the Christmas holidays)
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Physical Data and Weigh in : October 22nd 2017 Bodyweight: 215.8lbs (unchanged on last week, +0.6lbs since July 30th 2017) BMI: 27.4 (unchanged, +0.2) Bodyfat: 15.5% (+0.2%, +0.9%) Water Content: 61.7% (-0.1%, -0.5%) Muscle Mass: 36.7% (-0.7%, -0.5%) Bone Content: 9.2lbs (Unchanged, +0.2lbs) I am beginning to wonder whether or not (given that I appear to have lost a pound of muscle in the last week) whether or not walking is just a good idea after all! Every year (from the end of October to the middle of November) I collect funds for the Poppy Appeal. This is by far the oldest wounded warrior charity in the world (launched in 1921 by Field Marshall Haig, to assist former servicemen) and since 2002 I have been collecting in the villages where I live. The appeal is normally collected by elder members of the community, but as I am sure you are aware they are not able to do as much as they used to and so in 2015, I was asked to collect for the whole village, this meant that (as demonstrated in 2016) I walked some 11½ miles (raising £298 at the time). I started my collection this year on Friday and on that day walked just over 2 miles in 73 minutes (slower than normal but that is because I have to wait to see if there is anyone at the door). I am hoping to be able to do a collection every day and still be able to fit in my gym sessions as well, but am worried that it might undo the good work I have done so far.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    You will remember some time ago when I had my personal training session with the gym owner he told me that the gym was unheated and that as a result could be deemed "hardcore" well, there's hardcore and then there is being safe. Overnight tonight in the UK, storm "Brian" will arrive bringing gale force winds and heavy rain across the UK (with coastal areas already under flood warnings). Now, as you will remember the last time I attended the gym when it rained my coat got soaked so therefore this weekend I am giving the gym a miss but will carry on with my behind the neck presses and rows as I would do on a Tuesday and Thursday and will continue to do so if the weather is bad again. Storm Brian Rainfall Forecast
  • thomas
    6 Years ago
    Progression is slow. The strength buildup goes quickly after you get over the hump of the first few rip/repairs, the muscles get acclimated to all of the mechanics. You will find that you will get stronger and stronger week over week. Now as far as the viable results, they are there. They are under the layers and will start to really come out after the 6th week. From there its all gravy. You will see that you will have peaks and valleys. One week you will have incredible pumps due to DOMS repair cycle, and the following week look a little flat due to tear down. The whole point is to never give up, and to stick with it at all cost. Consistency is what wins this. Its about doing it consistently and changing things up in your training. Constantly shocking your muscles, and making sure that you eat clean.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Physical Data and Weigh in : October 15th 2017 Bodyweight: 215.8lbs (-0.6lb on last week, +0.6lbs since July 30th 2017) BMI: 27.4 (-0.1, +0.2) Bodyfat: 15.3% (-0.2%, +0.7%) Water Content: 61.8% (+0.1%, -0.4%) Muscle Mass: 37.4% (+0.2%, unchanged) Bone Content: 9.2lbs (Unchanged, +0.2lbs) I am beginning to form the opinion, although given my newness it could be an opinion that is wholly incorrect, that whilst I am clearly getting stronger, there doesn't seem to be much to show for it. Now, don't take that to read that I am unhappy with my progress (in fact the complete opposite is true). As an example, if you had told me when I started that I would be able to bench the barbell for a bench press six times (!RM estimate: 23kg / 51lbs) or that I would be able to do 5 reps bicep curls of 39kg (1RM estimate: 43.5kg / 96lbs) and 2 reps of tricep pulldowns of the same weight (1RM estimate: 40kg / 88lbs) I would have laughed my head off. No, my concern is that I don't seem to be gaining any actual extra muscle mass and that everything else seems to be remarkably static leading me to the conclusion that two days a week in the gym (and two days at home) simply is cutting the mustard (if you will excuse the British term) and that in an ideal world I really need to be going every single day (which is of course impossible) not only because of the fact that the bus scheme is only available on the weekend (but I am hoping to meet with the local elected officials to the state house to lobby for a reduction in the cost of bus travel for carers) but also because I am rather wary of squats and the leg extension / hamstring curls machine isn't that effective I am just a little bit on the stumped side.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Oh dear @dominic, is now a good time to mention that I don't like chicken or fish either! I shall be honest and say that I used to like salmon and shrimp spread as well as sardine and tomato, but then just suddenly stopped liking them for some reason. I always try and buy wholewheat / granary where possible (for example granary loaves and wholewheat pasta and noodles) but as I have mentioned before as I am only on a welfare payment each week sometimes I am unable to do so through cost. And there is no need to worry about white sauces I say, when I make my own version of mac and cheese I cheat 100%. I remove the butter and replace it with Lupark Lighter and Unsalted, I remove the whole milk and replace it with skimmed, and the real cheat, I remove the ordinary cheese and replace it with a combination of low fat soft cheese and / or high protein low fat hard cheese (with some grated Rich Tea biscuits on top to provide a crunchy topping) On the subject of protein shakes, I am a little wary about those (as I have never had one). I will admit I have been tempted by them but don't want to buy a whole tub in case I instantly pull a face at the very first sip, therefore would like to know if there is a way around that?
  • dominic
    6 Years ago
    Totally understand. Vegans usually have this trouble as well. Same with Vegetarians. What I recommend that you do is if its a matter of taste, mix your protein in with your noodles. For example, that first dish, that would be perfect to throw in some chicken cubes. Get a chicken breast, cut it into cubes, and mix it in. Also, substitute any of the flour noodles and pasta for whole grain or wheat. You dont want simple carbs, and pasta is a simple carb. Also, stay away from the white sauces as they are loaded with fats. One other think I would recommend is to supplement with protein powders. Stick with 100 percent whey protein. You can do isolates right after lifting, and concentrates during the day and evenings. Stay away from anything that says proprietary blend. That is mostly soy protein and other bullshit
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    I am not sure if I have mentioned this before (if I have and it has got lost in the discussion, or if I have not mentioned it before, then I apologise) but I have a problem with protein. It's not a massive problem, it's rather a problem of mass and it comes down to this. Give me a plate of these foods and I would happily eat them without any complaint whatsoever Spaghetti Carbonara Ham and Cheese Slice Quiche Lorraine However if you were to dump this onto my plate Renn  Faire Turkey Leg I would probably throw up Now, as you will have come to realise by now, when I come across a problem I always try my best to get around that problem and this is no exception. For instance I have now started to buy noodles (up to 12g protein per 100g), Weetabix (up to 19g protein per 100g) and even been very surprised to find that popcorn contains up to 11g protein per 100g but even with those efforts I am still nowhere near the 215g protein I need a day according to most experts, therefore I have come to the conclusion I need to investigate these protein based foodstuffs being sold online and here I come to a problem that it is simply impossible to overcome, money. As an example, when I go shopping I can usually a packet of cereal for around £2, but if I want a cereal with as much protein as possible I would have to pay nearly four times that amount for less than quarter of the weight and when you only get £62 a week that has to be divided between state taxes (that have to be paid on pain of imprisonment), utility bills (which as a carer I need to survive) and putting some aside for a rainy day, leaves very little left over for nutritional needs.
  • thomas
    6 Years ago
    Walter always does a good job with explaining things. Only thing I would add is that when your working with progressive overload periodization training, its good to build up that burstable energy. you can also eat to sustain and call upon it with the right diet. Restrict your simple carbs, simple sugars, and beef up on clean proteins. Flank steak is really cheap, loaded to the core with protein, and extremely high dense. it spikes the hell out of your metabolic rate due to the break down process. Try to get a lot of B12 in you from lean proteins. As for a training partner, yea, any partner that drives motivation and helps out is a good thing. You might be training in two completely capacities, but you can still spot one another. Just be mindful when its time to superset, drop set, and keep the fluid motions going with limited breaks. One thing that does tend to suck when training with a partner is that you end up taking much longer breaks in between sets. You dont want your HR to get high only to fall back down due to talking and waiting. However, as you keep generating more and more hypertrophy your going to want a spot from time to time to go big and really hit the muscle fibers hard.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    As always @Walter you have answered my question in a very detailed manner. As I said at the beginning of this I am a beginner and therefore am probably going to jump to hundreds of wrong conculsions along the path. Do you agree with my assessment though that the two people I met yesterday are good training partner candidates (or should I try and cast my net a little wider)?
  • walter
    6 Years ago
    Remember that muscle always weighs more than fat does. In addition, working with weights isnt HIIT cardio, and its not designed to be. You can still elevate your heart rate and get into the kill zone of 120 BPS, but that is general HIS cardio so its designed to be more of a shaper. Using weights uses power and burstable energy, verses cardiovascular training which uses sustained energy. There is a big difference between the two. When you train with weights and are doing heavy lifting, you use and harness burstable energy which is extremely powerful, but used for eccentric, compound, and push pull resistance training. You wouldnt be able to sustain that level of intensity for lets say a 6 mile run. That is when you use stored and sustained energy supplies in the body. The more you train, the longer you train, and more advanced your training becomes, the higher the level of output you will see. Right now keeping track of everything is good, but dont get too caught up in the percentages for your first 6 months. Use the mirror and the amount of weight increases your doing to really gage the success. Once you have a solid core, been through several rounds of DOMS, got a solid base, then is when you can really start to use target zones and use percentages to tailor your workouts to the needs of your body goals.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Physical Data and Weigh in : October 8th 2017 Bodyweight: 216.4lbs (+1.2lb on last week, +1.2lbs since July 30th 2017, 6.2lbs to 21.2lbs over estimate) BMI: 27.5 (+0.2, +0.3) Bodyfat: 15.5% (+0.3%, +0.9%) Water Content: 61.7% (-0.2%, -0.5%) Muscle Mass: 37.2% (-0.2%, -0.2%) Bone Content: 9.2lbs (Unchanged, +0.2lbs) All of which has left me thoroughly confused, therefore could someone explain whether my theories are correct or not. I was under the impression that as I trained with weights, I would be using more energy (increased calorie usage) and therefore as I was eating more or less the same (just adding more protein where I can) my weight would reduce as my muscles increased in size and that as a result, my bodyfat levels would decrease whilst my muscle mass would increase.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    I had an absolutely wonderful time today, as not only did I meet two people (both local but one originally from Hertfordshire) who I believe could become training partners, I (as I believe the term is) "smashed it" today. I started off with a biathlon setting on the rowing machine and rowed 500m in a total of 2 mins and 48 seconds (with an allowance for the time spent on the shooting range which rowing machines cannot manage) this leads me to believe that I rowed a kilometre in 5 minutes 36 seconds (which would tie in with last week's 809m in 5 minutes precisely) As I was the only one in the gym to start off with, I set the cable machine to do rope bicep curls and v bar pushdowns in what I believe is called a superset and working on the plan confirmed with Sion a fortnight ago, did eight reps on each weight until I couldn't do eight reps, which produced the following: 3kg Check, 6kg Check, 9kg Check, 15kg Check, 21kg Check (by which time I was starting to feel what a friend of mine from Palm Springs calls "the awakening of man" and so fuelled by this I recorded the next two which was 27kg and then finally 4 reps of 33kg on bicep curls (1RM 36kg 79lbs) and 5 reps on pulldowns (1RM 37kg 81lbs) and if the first person hadn't come in then I was in half a mind to see if I could curl the bench press bar. The person who came in first was doing shoulders and didn't mind the fact I hadn't got a shirt off, explaining that he often was in the same position and we got chatting (which often happens if the music isn't too loud) and he told me that it would be possible to do dips by means of standing on a band in order to help with the pushing up part (so any comments on that would be welcome) so as that part of the gym was now being used I decided to do some dumbbell presses (flat and incline) using the same scheme and there I managed to reach 10kg on the incline (1RM 12kg 26lbs) but could only manage 4 reps on the flat (and came to the conclusion that I had reached my limit). As I did the next person came in and before I got changed weighed himself explaining that he was training for fitness as he was now 41. I replied that I was two years older and going the opposite way in training for strength and he said that when he was younger as a PT instructor in university he was regularly benching 120kg (264lbs) to which I joked "Well, don't tell Dean that as he might not like someone stealing his crown!" (Dean is a gym member who is ranked as the third strongest man in Wales). He then explained that he was local (originally from Hertfordshire) and like the first person was very friendly indeed. Therefore I would like to know do those two people (especially the one from Hertfordshire) sound like promoising candidates for a training partner?
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Physical Data and Weigh in : October 1st 2017 Bodyweight: 215.2lbs (+1.4lb on last week, unchanged since July 30th 2017) BMI: 27.3 (+0.1, +0.1) Bodyfat: 15.2% (+0.1%, +0.6%) Water Content: 61.9% (-0.1%, -0.3%) Muscle Mass: 37.4% (+0.2%, unchanged) Bone Content: 9.2lbs (+0.2lbs, +0.2lbs) I have two slight hiccups this weekend, the first of which was a router that just went kaput for some reason on Thursday (but that has now been replaced) and the second problem I had was the weather. Here's the rainfall radar image for the UK on Saturday at 2.00pm local time (when I was walking to the gym having arrived in the town) UK Rainfall Radar (September 30th 2017) That continual rain caused my coat to become so saturated that it didn't have a chance to dry out and as the forecast for Sunday was just as bad, I didn't go on Sunday (but as it turned out the weather on Sunday was miles better, despite the forecast on Friday indicating the reverse)
  • dominic
    6 Years ago
    its good that your starting to get nailed down all of your 1RM's. Now you will start to see PR's being busted each week. Like the others have pointed out, I would start upping your sets to 4 sets, and add some more weight. You might find that when you go up with weight, you might not be able to hit 10 reps in a set, but that is okay. your muscles will start to conform to the weight, and the fibers through the flexion, concentric and eccentric mechanics will grow. Also at the very end of your routing, I would take one last rep to failure. Meaning, if your doing chest day, go to the cable cross and put on a manageable weight, and just go until you literally cant move the cross bars to the center. Go until you completely fail. that is a great closer to any workout. Same with tricps, biceps, shoulders, back, legs, ect.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    It's taken me a while, but I have come to the following conclusion with regard to this puzzle: Cable Stack The total weight of the stack is not 100kg (220lbs) but 99kg (218lbs) And here's why. I have been trying to figure out a way that the total stack weighs 100kg where the first three are roughly half the size of the other fifteen and where the weights are all the same number and try as I could I was getting nowhere fast. It was only when I entered the puzzle into a spreadsheet I realised that the answer I had been given of 100kg was wrong. and once I had worked that out the answer came in a flash. Weights 1, 2 and 3 are 3kg each (7lbs) whilst weights 4 - 18 are 6kg each (13lbs) Therefore my record for September 17th can now be published in full
    Rowing: 491m in 150 seconds (Gym Competition Estimate: 10 minutes 11 seconds) Cable Curls / Tricep Pulldowns: Set 1: 10 reps of 3kg, Set 2: 10 reps of 6kg, Set 3: 10 reps of 9kg, Set 4: 10 reps of 15kg, Set 5: 5 reps of 21kg Cable Crossovers: Set 1: 10 reps of 3kg, Set 2: 10 reps of 6kg
    Which allows me to make the following calculations. My bicep curl 1RM is 11kg (24lbs) new calculation to be generated on October 1st, my tricep pulldown 1RM is 24kg (53lbs). My dumbbell press 1RM is 11kg (24lbs), my barbell bench press 1RM is 23kg (51lbs). My cable crossover 1RM is 8kg (18lbs) and my leg extension 1RM is 32kg (70lbs) meaning that the only 1RM's I have yet to formally calculate are hamstrings (hamstring curls) and calves (calf raises)
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    That is precisely what Sion, the gym owner said, therefore the following has been arranged: Saturday: Training (8 reps per weight) triceps, pecs, biceps (and quads if time allows) Sunday: Training (12 reps per weight) triceps, pecs, biceps Monday: No training Tuesday: Training (as many as possible) triceps Wednesday: No training Thursday: Training (as many as possible) triceps Friday: No training And then repeat, however this now brings up the very serious matter of the lack of protein I have (through as I mentioned at the beginning my lack of interest in meat) therefore could I ask if Quorn is a viable alternative or should I investigate these protein filled foods such as Weetabix, Mars, Snickers and now Milky Way?
  • doug
    6 Years ago
    I totally agree with Stacy. Now that you got your first few weeks under you, I would step it up to doing 4 sets, and do 8 to 12 reps on each set of each exercise that you perform. You can get through your next round of fiber rips, and in two weeks from now, I would increase the weight on every single rotation you go through. your body will be able to handle it, and it will be fully repaired be ready for each increase that you do every two weeks. Keep at it brother.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Thank you very much indeed for those encouraging words @stacy and I shall continue to keep track as I start on a new four day regime (Saturday 8 reps for weight, Sunday 12 reps for strength, Tuesday dumbells and Thursday dumbells) with the latter two at home. I also discovered, quite by accident, that the gym is unheated (the average temperature during this time of year ranges from 58°F to 47°F isn't too bad) but does pose the question "Should I invest in some warm training clothes, in the unlikely event that it gets cold?" and therefore believe that I should put that into the following context 2010: Snow across the majority of the United Kingdom from November 27th 2009 to December 28th 2009 and then again from January 4th 2010 to January 15th 2010 Pontrhydygroes (2010) 1987: Record low temperatures recorded across the UK. RAF Aberporth (about ten miles down the coast) records a daytime high of -5.2°C (23°F) the lowest daytime high ever recorded in Ceredigion 1982: Massive snowfalls across the UK stretch local services to breaking point Snow in Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire 1963: The worst winter in living memory as Britain froze from Boxing Day 1962 until at least April 1963 1947: Prior to 1963, the worst winter in living memory Bus in rural Welsh lane
  • stacy
    6 Years ago
    That is great! Your well on your way, and only 75 percent to go, but you will be amazed how fast that will go. I know it seems like its a LONG way to go, but really it isnt. Muscle hypertrophy sets in rapidly after you get past the first month of superficial rips and tears repair. The DOMS that usually is contracted in the first couple of weeks repairs twice as strong. The first 6 months of a new workout regiment the gains are just crazy fast. I would say by December you will be at 50 percent at the very least. Keep it up and keep going and you will see.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Yesterday I had my personal training session with the gym owner and a more knowledgeable person about gyms I do not think it is possible to have spoken to. Not only did he know what exercises to do, but when I explained that it was possible that I did not know how to do them, he showed how to do them and then asked me to copy those movements. Based on my aims of a dip, pullup and benchpress he told me that I needed to work on my triceps and pecs primarily, with my biceps also getting some attention and recommended three main things. 1) Tricep pull downs (with a rope and fixed handle), 2) Lat Pulldowns (with various handles) and 3) Behind the head dumbbell raises. He then answered the question about the weights in the cable machine by saying "The whole stack weighs 100kg" which didn't really answer the question but then I realised that it could be answered in the form of one of those puzzles you read online therefore: Weight Stack "The entire stack weighs 100kg (220lbs) with each weight weighing the same, however weights 1, 2 and 3 are smaller than weights 4 - 18 and yet also weigh the same. How much does each weight weigh?" and as I am not an expert on these sorts of puzzles I shall let someone else work it out. As one of my aims was a bench press he asked me if I had benched before to which I said that I had not, explaining what happened the previous week but that I believed I was able to do a 1RM dumbbell press of 30lbs. He then showed me how to do a barbell bench press and confirmed that the bar weighs 20kg (44lbs) demonstrated how to do it by lifting, inhaling whilst going down, exhaling whilst going up and repeating and I am pleased to announce I managed to do it five times (meaning that I can now say I have a bench 1RM of 23kg (51lbs) or to put it another way 24% of my bodyweight meaning that it should not be too long before I am able to bench 25% of my bodyweight (which was the minimum by December 17th) and therefore believe that I should be able to reach at least 33% (71lbs) by the middle of these next 12 weeks.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Physical Data and Weigh in : September 24th 2017 Bodyweight: 213.8lbs (-1.0lb on last week, -1.4lbs since July 30th 2017) BMI: 27.2 (-0.1, unchanged) Bodyfat: 15.1% (-0.1%, +0.5%) Water Content: 62.0% (+0.1%, -0.2%) Muscle Mass: 37.2% (-0.1%, -0.2%) Bone Content: 9lbs (Unchanged, Unchanged) Today is my personal training session with the gym owner so therefore I have no idea what I will be doing but will ask if it is possible for him to help me in my desired aim to do a pull up, dip and bench at least 50% of my bodyweight by December 17th 2017.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    So if I am reading that description correctly, as I was able to do 5 reps with the weight labelled 5, that is 5, 10, 15, 25, 35lbs? If so then, wooho, as that means I now have a 1RM bicep curl of 40lbs (which if you remember I started with a 1RM of just 11 is wonderful news). Does this mean I should post a front double bicep picture soon @thomas?
  • thomas
    6 Years ago
    if the plates are marked like that, they are usually done in increments of pounds, and go up by 10. however, the leap in size between 3 to 4 makes me think that it could be much more. Also, if this is a free standing, its a true 10, but if there is a cross cable and another cable stack on the other side, then it 5 pounds, but when combined with both cables such as a cable cross movement, or double arm standing horizontal curls, then it factors that ten pounds would be the total weight since your using both sides. Your sticking to the game plan well, and mixing in good variations, lots of complex and HIIT cardio, so the results are going to start showing quickly.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Additional Information: Map My Walk has just e-mailed me saying "Congratulations on your fifth category five climb" which it noted is what that hill is. According to a cycling website a category five climb is one that "the stage below a category four climb, the easiest in a road race, with a minimum incline of 3% and a minimum distance of 500m (1,640 feet)
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Today I attended a discussion group meeting on "I can't be an Assembly member because..." which has been set up by the Assembly to determine what it can do to become more diverse (and hope that my suggestion of an American style signature based ballot access scheme of 1% of the district's electorate or 0.5% of a region's electorate, as well as adopting multi member elections, will be taken on board) and meant walking from the bottom of a hill to the top of a hill in the town where the meeting was held. Therefore, as I do with all my walks, set my walking app to track what I did. The answer was a 9,286 feet walk that took just over 50 minutes and that saw me climb 224 feet over a course of 4,357 feet (an average incline of 1 in 19) that when I reached the top (wearing a coat, jumper and bodywarmer because it was cool when I left) so hot that my vest was soaked. Therefore would like to know can that walk be officially classed as cardio (as I am sure that it was coat and jersey that made me sweat so, as at no point did I get out of breath)? http://www.mapmywalk.com/workout/2473866572
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Whilst I can tell you what I did today: Rowing: 491m in 150 seconds (Gym Competition Estimate: 10 minutes 11 seconds) Cable Curls / Tricep Pulldowns: Set 1: 10 reps, Set 2: 10 reps, Set 3: 10 reps, Set 4: 10 reps, Set 5: 5 reps Cable Crossovers: Set 1: 10 reps, Set 2: 10 reps I cannot tell you what I did today. The reason for this is the cable crossover machine has the weights listed as 1,2,3,4,5 and so long (with the only clue being that weights 1,2,3 are half the length of weights 4 - 15). I have asked the gym owner by e-mail if he can explain what the weight numbers mean (see enclosed photo) but I have not yet got an answer. Cable Crossover Machine
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Weigh in for September 17th 2017: 214.8lbs (Unchanged on September 10th 2017, -0.4lbs since July 30th 2017, +3.1lbs on schedule) Body Data (and change on September 3rd 2017 and start) BMI: 27.3 (+0.2, +0.1) Bodyfat: 15.2% (+0.4%, +0.6%) Water Content: 61.9% (-0.3%, -0.3%) Muscle Mass: 37.3% (-0.3%, -0.1%) Bone Content: 9lbs (Unchanged, Unchanged) Naturally I am concerned that my bodyfat levels are increasing and yet am at a complete loss as to why I am losing muscle, therefore could anyone offer an explanation as to what may be happening and why?
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    That sounds like an idea, if it wasn't for the fact that I don't even have a training partner let alone a spotter. It is true that on September 24th the gym's owner will be giving me a personal training session but I am not sure if he would agree to be a spotter / training partner but I will see what happens when we get there. On the subject of a training partner, the ideal one would be someone who is either the same age as me or older (45 - 55) or with the same temperament as a 45 - 55 year old, about the same height and weight (194lbs - 215lbs) but substantially stronger and more muscled (as a means of motivation). Now in the United States that's an absolute doddle I think to find (for instance on the website Big Muscle.com, the only site that I know where you can search for that sort of thing) it comes up with 110 results, however as soon as you change the search to the United Kingdom it collapses to just seven (five of which are in London) so you see my problem on that front and whilst it is true that the gym has a regular clientele the fact that I am only able to use the gym for a couple of hours of a weekend afternoon doesn't exactly fit in with the other people (for instance Dean, the person I have mentioned in the past) only trains there late at night when I am getting my sleep so any help on that point would be greatly appreciated.
  • brad
    6 Years ago
    Taylor is dead on. The total weight benched includes the bar, which is 45 pounds. Some use the Olympic bars that weigh 55 pounds, but that is rare to see. I would say that next time your in the gym, do a flat bench press on the flat bench with a spotter. Go as heavy as you can so you have a starting point. You might be quite surprised with how much you can do right now. After that, just keep changing things up, keep using progressive overload periodization training, and the muscle hypertrophy will continue to set in. On your next attempt at a max bench, I would wait a good solid 4 weeks before another attempt, and I am willing to bet that you will be anywhere from 10 to 20 pounds heavier on that press. Right now your entire metabolic rate is changing, and your primary, secondary, aggonistic and antagonistic muscles are getting acclimated. the muscle fibers and tissues surrounding your primary and major muscles will start to increase expodentially.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Well, I must admit that I do have a yearning for the gym now (which I never had in my school days) so that is certainly the case (and on a slightly more candid note, I believe it is having an effect on me in a manner that we Brits are rather reticent to talk about but I would like to discuss it with someone just to make sure that it is supposed to happen and isn't a sign of anything wrong). Now, it's a little tricky to ask what my 1RM is on bench, because technically speaking I haven't done one yet. The fact that I couldn't lift the bar might give you a clue on that one, but based on what I know about my dumbbell press record it comes to around 22lbs but that said, I am not entirely sure what practical use that information is (so any suggestion of how to use that would be very helpful indeed). I thought that might be the case, as I have seen many pictures of people benching (usually with all red weights) and was constantly coming up short on the weight in the picture and the weight that they were claiming but now I know to add 45lbs to the weight that helps a great deal. As for keeping records of things, I'm a person who studies elections in his spare time, keeping records is what I do!
  • taylor
    6 Years ago
    First let me congratulate you on doing an outstanding job and keeping with this program. I just went through all of your posts, and you really have stayed with it. Good for you! I am sure that you will see a great deal of progress and are already starting to feel more energetic. Getting to 50 percent of your bodyweight is a great goald to shoot for by year end, and there is plenty of time left to fulfill that bucket list. If you dont mind, what is your 1 rep max right now on bench? Also, the total weight does include the bar. so when you see someone with 45's on each side, that is considered 135. Most bars are 45 pounds, so you add that to your total, and that is your weight benching. When someone says they do it for reps, that means that they are able to do it multiple times without assistance. Keep going Harry, and Super Proud of YOU!!!!
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Gym Session Report : September 10th 2017 Rowing Machine: 425m in 150 seconds (Estimate of gym competition: 11 minutes 46 seconds) Seated Dumbbell Press: Set One 10 reps of 3kg, Set Two 10 reps of 5kg Dumbbell Curl: Set One 10 reps of 10kg, Set Two 3 reps of 12.5kg, Set Three 10 reps of 7.5kg There is also a cable machine there and I managed to ten reps of the weight labelled 1, 2 and 3, but could only manage 3 reps of the weight labelled 4 however I have no idea what the numbers refer to Abdominal Crunches: 8 reps Leg Extension: 16 reps of 20kg (failure) I also found out something rather interesting. As I was the only person there I decided to have a good look around at all the equipment and as I am aiming to bench between 25% and 50% of my bodyweight by the end of the year I thought I ought to see if my bench form was correct and got a rather strange surprise. The bench bar was too heavy for me. Therefore I would like to know when people say "Oh, I can bench 250lbs for reps" do they mean "I can bench 250lbs plus the weight of the bar" or "I can bench 250lbs when the weight of the bar is taken into account"?
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Weigh in (September 10th 2017): 214.8lbs (+1.2lbs since last week) Now, normally I would be very worried (as it sounds I am undoing all the good work so far) however as you know my scales produce a whole ream of information besides weight and the two bits that slightly surprised me was that my bodyfat rating is now at 14.5% and my water composition is now at 61%. Does this mean that I am heading in the right direction (even if the weight isn't?)
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Back in 1998 I appeared in my first community theatre production of "Robin Hood" as Gilbert, the upper class twit of a Merry Man (a la Monty Python) for the New Dyfi Players in my then hometown of Machynlleth in Powys. Today, I attended the starting point for their 2018 production "The Three Musketeers" to say that as it was the anniversary of my starting, I would very much like to help them in some way. Thanks to both the free bus scheme in operation (as well as my aunt who has a job there) they believed that I would make a very good major domo (the chief steward of a large household) who will be in charge of the main ball where the Queen will be expected to attend wearing the diamond studs that the King gave her for a present. After the meeting I decided to have a walk around my former hometown and was rather amazed when (after thinking I had only walked three quarters of a mile at best) I had actually walked over two and a quarter miles which took me just over 90 minutes at an average pace of 44 minutes per mile (slowed down due to the meeting at the start) but if you ignore that element it was a 2 mile walk done in around 65 minutes (an average pace of 32.5 minutes per mile) http://www.mapmywalk.com/workout/2452643543
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Thank you very much indeed @Doug that is very encouraging to hear. Could I ask (and I hope that you do not mind me asking) as it is your birthday in a few weeks time (October 20th) may I be permitted to send you a birthday (and Christmas card) as a thank you for all the advice that you have been giving me. Actually I'd like to make that same offer to @dominic @stacy @walter @thomas and @brad (so if you could send me your postal address to my e-mail address (which is on my profile) then I would be very pleased indeed.
  • doug
    6 Years ago
    good ratios. I wouldnt worry too much about the negative percentages in anything. It will happen at the first few stages as the DOMS sets in. The hypertrophy takes time to generate new muscle fibers, and once they repair stronger, you will see nothing but positive gains in everything.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Strength Test : September 2017 Dumbbell Curls: 10 reps of 3kg, 10 reps of 5kg, 10 reps of 7.5kg, 3 reps of 10kg. Failure reached at 10kg. Estimated 1RM: 11kg (24lbs) August 2017 calculation: 14lbs Change on August 2017: +10lbs (+71%) Flat Dumbbell Bench Press: 10 reps of 3kg, 10 reps of 5kg, 10 reps of 7.5kg, 4 reps of 10kg. Failure reached at 10kg. Estimated 1RM: 11kg (24lbs) August 2017 calculation: 23lbs Change on August 2017: +1lb (+4%) Leg Extensions: 10 reps of 5kg, 10 reps of 10kg, 10 reps of 15kg, 10 reps of 20kg, 10 reps of 25kg, 3 reps of 30kg. Failure reached at 30kg. Estimated 1RM: 32kg (70lbs) No August 2017 calculation recorded as I didn't know they had the equipment Rowing: 363m in 150 seconds (projection for gym contest of 2,000: 13 minutes 46 seconds Last Tested August 20th 2017: Projection: 14 minutes 27 seconds Change: -41 seconds (-4.72%) Walking to and from the gym: 0.72 miles in 14 minutes 56 seconds (Estimated Mile Walk: 20 minutes 40 seconds)
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Latest Weigh in (September 3rd 2017) 213.6lbs (-1.6lbs since July 30th 2017, +1.0lb since August 27th) The reason for that increase on last week was my birthday (for which I have been led to understand is excusable) Body Measurements (as measured by scales, change on start and on August 20th 2017) BMI: 27.1 (+0.2, -0.1), Muscle Mass: 37.6% (+0.3%, +0.2%), Bone Mass: 9% (unchanged, unchanged), Bodyfat: 14.8% (+0.2%, -0.2%), Water Content: 62.2% (+0.3%, unchanged), BMI: 27.1 (+0.2, -0.1) I am also signed up for Scott Herman's website which allows you to track these measurements as well as weight lifted, therefore I will add this data as well as my workouts to see what that website suggests about my progress so far
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Tomorrow (Sunday) will be my first strength test since I started attending the gym on a regular basis. When I did the first strength test before I even started the results were an estimated 1RM bicep curl of 8kg (19lbs) and an estimated 1RM dumbbell press of 7kg (15lbs) however I was not able to test my quad strength as I couldn't find a leg extension machine. So you can imagine my absolute joy when Dean (the strongman I follow on Instagram who trains at the gym) posted this last night https://www.instagram.com/p/BYhBIjUFmfJ Meaning that yes, I can now test (and train) my quads and hams (which I believe will make thing even more interesting than they have been up to this moment in time)
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Don't you worry about not posting things @dominic on that part I am dedicated to the cause (just search for #Election97 next Monday from 4.00am EDT onwards and you will see what I mean). As I mentioned I believe that my strength is starting to spike right now and no doubt when I test my strength on Sunday (which will be "How much weight can I do 10 reps with?" on biceps and pecs) that will become apparent. When I have my personal training session on September 24th (which will allow me to address the question of how to train legs given the lack of a leg extension and leg press machine and my wariness of squats) the gym owner (who is now a friend on Facebook as well) will be able to make plenty of suggestions which reminds me, would you like to see what he looks like?
  • dominic
    6 Years ago
    You are working the plan and utilizing all of the major muscle groups to do it. Keep the rotations and variations high, and keep posting your results. you are going to find that muscle hypertrophy sets in quickly when you just getting started. Once you get over the first few rounds of DOMS, the muscle fibers start to snap back quickly and your strength spikes quite rapidly. Use that to your advantage. Keep mixing in as many variations as you can, and after this week, step up the sets to 4 sets. If not, keep it at 3, but build in another rotation. I would add some more cycles into the fold so instead of doing a 3 station rotation of 3 sets, step up to 4 or 5. When you first do this, dont change the amount of weight your using. Use the same weight, but use less time to rest inbetween sets. I would even have you do some drop sets or pyramid out a few reps in your sets. you want to create as much hypertrophy as you can, and this will do it brother. Keep up the kick ass work, and congrats on the weight loss man
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Gym Session Number Four Close Grip Dumbbell Bench Press Set One: 10 reps of 3kg, Set Two: 10 reps of 5kg, Set Three: 7 reps of 7.5kg Alternating Dumbbell Curl Set One: 20 reps of 3kg, Set Two: 30 reps of 5kg, Set Three: 25 reps of 7.5kg Skiing Machine 198m in sixty seconds (as part of gym challenge) I also managed to do forty calf raises but did have a problem. When I arrived I was the only person there and I thought that I would be able to really let rip, however within minutes four other people arrived (I am assuming they had a connection to the rugby tournament being held over this bank holiday weekend in the UK) and aside from blasting the same piece of music ad nauseam on the gym's music centre (to which I said to myself "Yes, you've established that you are the best thing since sliced bread but do you have to carry on about it?") they also used the 10kg dumbbells that I wanted to use to see if I could do ten reps of those. But despite this I did find out three things of interest Number One: I worked my way along the dumbbell rack to see which weights I could actually pick up and am pleased to report that I was able to pick up the 17.5kg (38½lbs) weight which is the heaviest thing I have ever picked up Number Two: I met the gym owner who was walking his dog (or actually the other way around) and he said that my personal training session on September 24th can be paid for "in any way you like, I'm easy" therefore will pay him on the day Number Three: I am of the opinion (but I am open to consultation on the matter) that I am now ready to start posing
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Latest weigh in this morning: 212.6lbs (that's down 2.6lbs since my first weigh in on July 30th) and suggests that I am following the ½lb weight loss a week line (which would suggest a 205.2lbs on December 17th (the last Sunday of the year where the buses run as normal) therefore if @doug is agreeable to it, if I do get to 205lbs by December 17th (a quarter of the proposed weight loss of 40lbs) would that mean instead of $50, $12.50?
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    That is very encouraging to hear @brad as all I did was say before hand "I want to do chest today" and then used my tablet which has a list of exercises sorted by bodypart and asked myself "Which of these do I know?", for instance, I thought I would have a go at flyes lying down but that didn't feel right and if something doesn't feel right I simply don't do it. I am going to e-mail the gym owner today and confirm a personal training session for (whichever is the more convenient) either September 10th or 17th (with myself more minded towards the 17th) so that the following weekend I can do this suggestion of splits as Brad mentioned, however this is tempered by the fact that at the moment my grandmother is suffering from constipation resulting from a stomach ulcer (which is being treated) but that leads to terrible pain in her back which last night kept her awake for four hours and was so intense that because she couldn't wake her husband (who is having treatment for wax build up in his ears) and couldn't move from her bed (therefore couldn't wake me or my aunt) spent the whole time crying (which is why I sympathised so much with that person from Crewe yesterday)
  • brad
    6 Years ago
    You the man bro! Good chest day, and solid mixture. Next go round, mix in some decline press, and also try to do some hammer strength seated isolation pressing. Get a good rotation going and keep mixing it up. Are you doing splits? When you train chest, its good to also train either triceps or biceps along with chest. I prefer triceps as they are a main supporter and secondary muscle group that also gets worked out with chest. By doing combo splits like that, you serve duel purpose and can work the hypertrophy much greater into the aggonistic muscles such as triceps.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Third Gym Session Warm Up: Stretching, Rowing: 346m in 2½ minutes (2,000m gym contest projection: 14' 27") Dumbbell Press Set One: 10 reps of 3kg, Set Two: 10 reps of 5kg, Set Three: 10 reps of 7.5kg Dumbbell Flyes Set One: 10 reps of 3kg, Set Two: 5 reps of 5kg Incline Dumbbell Press Set One: 10 reps of 3kg, Set Two: 10 reps of 5kg During my dumbbell presses, someone came and used the bench next to me to do some ab crunches and so being friendly I said hello and asked what he thought of the gym. He was very impressed with it and said that it enabled him to take a break from caring and concentrate on getting his six pack back. As you know I'm a carer as well, so when he finished his first set of crunches, I gestured to shake his hand and say "You are one of this country's unsung heroes, looking after someone like I look after my grandparents" at which point he explained that he was looking after a person with Down's Syndrome (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Downs-syndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx) and that he had my complete sympathy. As he tackled his next set of crunches he thanked me for that and said that coming to the gym allowed him to take some time off from caring (which alongside the free buses is my reason as well) and that if it helped him consider being a bodybuilder then so much the better. When I asked how big he was he said that he was 5ft 8 and 72kg (158lbs) to which mentioned a friend of mine who is 6ft 2 and close to 275lbs to which he replied "Well, I think I need to be 80kg (176lbs) before I think of stepping on stage and I need bigger legs to which I replied, "Well, your chest looks big enough!" When he did his final set of crunches (which I paid close attention to so that I can do them next time around) I mentioned this website and that if he did think about stepping on stage, he was more than welcome to join and we would encourage him as best we could. He thanked for me that when I met again waiting for his lift home he said he came from Crewe in Cheshire, so if anyone from Cheshire joins in the next week or so, it is most likely him.
  • dominic
    6 Years ago
    Solid reps and solid stats. If your looking to do some duel purpose training, what I would suggest is that when you train, try to train with little rest in-between sets once every other workout. If you go really hard, really fast, and do little rest stops in between sets and stations, you crank up your heart rate. Your VO2 Max rate will increase and you sustain fat burning and caloric deficit so that your getting cardio and weight training done at the same time.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    As I promised (and overall I think I am not doing too bad with my record keeping) here's how I stand ahead of my third gym session Weight: 213.8lbs (97.18kg), Bodyfat: 15%, Water Content: 62.2%, BMI: 27.2, Muscle: 37.4%, Bone Content: 9.0% and as a comparsion to when I started Weight: +0.2lbs (+0.09kg), Bodyfat: +0.4%, Water Content: +0.3%, BMI: +0.3, Muscle: +0.1%, Bone Content: Unchanged Now, I believe this to mean (but if I am wrong would love to be corrected) of the 0.2lbs that I have gained since I started the vast majority is fat, therefore what I shall do today (and have uploaded video onto my tablet to ensure I am doing it right) is have a go on the rowing machines and the ski machines to start off and then make some progress on dumbbell presses and flyes so that I can progress to full bench presses when I start going twice a week from mid September on. I have not been able to make an assessment of my leg strength however due to the lack of obvious leg exercises (remembering that I am wary of squats) therefore any advice on that aspect (which I can do next Sunday) would be very welcome.
  • thomas
    6 Years ago
    You can do a full body rotation in two hours for sure. If you stick to two sets you can do a breakdown such as: Squats on smith Calf Raises on standing platform with weights in each hand calf leg extensions Bench press Incline dumbbell press Standing shoulder press Seated reverse shoulder press Lat raises Seated rows cable row on incline double arm curls single arm isolated curls triceps rope Reverse triceps extension with bar Abs, pushups, burpies, lundges, cardio, ect can be done at home. Also, if you get some resistance bands, or a resistance band system, you can also train at home inbetween getting into the gym. Above is what I would start with, but each week change it up. Such as do incline bench press and decline bench press, ect, ect, ect.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    The gym owner is always looking for new suggestions so when I go next Sunday I will write "Resistance Bands" on the suggestions board and see what happens @Doug. Now that is what I call detailed @Walter however there is the slight problem that I am only able to go to this gym at the weekends and only for a maximum of two hours (whilst my grandmother is not feeling very well) and when she is three hours, therefore it is possible to accommodate all that over the course of a week working on the context that at home I have two 1.25kg (2.75lbs) and two 2.5kg (5.5lb) dumbbells?
  • walter
    6 Years ago
    Killer stuff man. Your now officially a gym rat! Your one of us now brother. Brothers in iron! Its a sacred bond that is stronger than oak. As for your routine, I would suggest trying a full body routine for the first month. I would do every other day and break it down like this: Monday-Chest, Biceps, Triceps, Back, Traps, Deltoids. Tuesday-Legs, Abs, Cardio Wednesday Off Thursday-start the cycle over with Mondays Routine Friday-Legs, Abs Cardio Saturday- Off Sunday-Cardio Only Once you do this for 3 to 4 weeks and develop the fibers on all of the major primary and secondary supporting muscle groups, you can then break it up into muscle group cycles. Stick with it brother. It will change all aspects of your life. Personally, professionally, emotionally, ect.
  • doug
    6 Years ago
    Good point and suggestion Stacy. You actually nailed it on the head as I know we have mentioned that in the past. Resistance bands are things like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Mountain-Products-Resistance-Band-Set/47346081?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227034924529&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=76883064632&wl4=pla-149616439952&wl5=9027581&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla_with_promotion&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=47346081&wl13=&veh=sem I just picked Walmart, but they are virtually sold everywhere, and just about every gym has them. They are extremely versatile and they perform great. The time under tension with bands is consistent through the positive and negative movements. In addition, they really put a great amount of power into the muscles from isolations. Congrats on making that first step towards a brand new you.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    This probably shows my complete inexperience @stacy but a) what are resistance bands (because I am not entirely sure if they have any at the gym), b) What on earth are (or is) DOMS? I am usually au fait with acroymns for example HIT, HIIT and the term that you have to be so careful about to make sure you have the right number of I's in it that starts with an S) but that's a new one on me. Incidentally, I believe (and it is only a guess as I didn't measure them before I started) that my biceps have grown by half an inch since I started, therefore would like to know whether this qualifies me to enter the contest that you run for improvements?
  • stacy
    6 Years ago
    That is a great start, and the fact that you just did this makes the journey officially under way. That is so great. So happy for you and proud of you. Congrats on that. As your easing into this, be sure to try and use some resistance bands too. They are great for expanding the muscle fibers as well as really digging in deep to the agonist and antagonistic muscles. They can really improve your core work. Once you get the muscle mechanics down and over your first DOMS, you will start to really increase your muscle range of motion. Strength at the beginning few months happens at a rapid pace. You will see. Such great news that your doing all of this!
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Second Gym Session This is what I did yesterday (slightly curtailed as my grandmother has not been feeling very well of late and therefore I didn't feel I could be away for too long but had to do some errands in the town to get things for her) Dumbbell Presses 1 set of 10 reps of 7lbs, 1 set of 10 reps of 11lbs (1RM calculation: 14lbs) Dumbbell Curls 1 set of 10 reps of 11lbs, 1 set of 10 reps of 17lbs (1 RM calculation: 22lbs) Goblet Squats 1 set of 10 reps of 9lbs Calf Raises 2 sets of 15 reps (bodyweight only) On the second set of dumbbell curls, I had to really grunt my way through the last three reps and on the goblet squats I wasn't entirely sure I was doing it right, therefore what I have decided to do is the following. I will train at the gym on Sundays from now on (as the traffic in the town today was horrendous and the buses were very packed) save tomorrow which is a major horse festival until the tourists go home, then on September 10th pay an extra £20 to have the gym owner take me through how to use the equipment to actually build strength (because most of the time I am completely lost at the range of equipment) which will then be 14 weeks until Christmas. On the days I do not go to the gym, I will do leg extensions by placing the dumbbells I do have (6lbs and 11lbs) onto my ankles and then raising them that way. My weight today is 213.6lbs (-1.6lbs from July 30th 2017 but +1.2lbs on last week) therefore would like to know is that normal or should I be concerned?
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    My First Gym Session The aim of this was to just gently ease myself into going to the gym so I'm not going to set the world on fire with this, but I did manage two sets of ten reps of dumbbell curls (5kg / 11lbs) and five reps of dumbbell curls (7.5kg / 16½lbs), as well as one set of ten reps of dumbbell presses (5kg / 11lbs). There was a slight hiccup in that the gym does not have a leg extension machine or a calf raise and despite me looking around and knowing what each piece of equipment did I was not able to come up with an alternative so a way around that problem would be greatly appreciated. I also had a go at the monthly challenge (a different exercise to keep things interesting) which for August is "How many calories can you burn skiing for 60 seconds?" to which I answered 8 (but believe this is because I have never skied before and don't know the best technique for skiing) but I will have another go at the end of August having done some research. I am also pleased to say that I believe I may have overcome my shyness about training with other people because there were at least four other people when I arrived, but I was able to train despite them being there (and when they left even trained without a shirt on!). I am hoping to attend every weekend (both days) but this will be dependent on my caring requirements therefore if I am not able to attend, I would very much like suggestions on how to improvise with only a maximum of 12lbs in weight.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    As I will be doing every Sunday morning for the duration of this free travel scheme, I weighed myself. The figure that came back was 212.4lbs (-1.3% on last week) despite not doing anything out of the ordinary. Is this normal or all the walking I did yesterday (to and from the site of our community carnival) have an impact?
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    That's very helpful to know @thomas thank you (and I am so glad that I am not the only one who has that problem). This however raises a question, namely "How do I lose weight and gain strength?" which is what I am trying to do overall. You see I was working on the opinion that (and I apologise if I get too scientific) that exercising burns calories and as I happen to know that one gram of fat is nine calories I had worked on the assumption that I currently have 14.175kg (14,175 grams) of fat on me which means that I need to burn 127,575 more calories than I take in (which over the next twenty weeks averages 911 more than I burn per day) but as I will only be training at weekends that figure increases to 3,189 calories per training session (which if I am being honest may be a little excessive) which is why I believe that I am more likely to lose 10lbs by Christmas rather than 40lbs (but will try my best anyway). Could I ask (as I have not the foggiest) what whey isolate is and more importantly what it looks like?
  • thomas
    6 Years ago
    That is a guideline and a staple to use in bodybuilding. you should always aim to achieve 1 gram per body pound of quality protein a day. True, it is next to impossible on some days to consume that much food, so that is why its wise to invest in a good whey protein powder. I would use a whey isolate to consume right after training, and a whey concentrate in the evening so you absorb slower and over a wide span. Isolates are good as they are isolated down removing all of the lactose, sugars, carbs, ect and giving you fast acting and fast absorbing proteins that go directly the muscles which are depleted after training. I typically will eat about 125 to 150 grams stemming from food, and additional 100 or so from protein shakes. In order for me to sustain my meals, I do all of my meal preps for the entire week on Sundays. I have all of my meals ready to go, so all I have to do is just warm them up and eat. it becomes a habit and a routine.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    It was my intention to be able to write things that were happening to me that would make you all very happy indeed. However, today I feel that @doug may be very unhappy. Back on July 23rd he wrote:
    As for your food choices, those are good. You want to eat clean, and want to try and get at least 1 gram of protein per body pound you weigh per day.
    As I weigh 215lbs, that's 215g and yet despite all my efforts the highest I've been able to get to is 40g (in other words 19% of the recommended level) and the reason for this is, as I mentioned at the start, I am not that much of a meat eater. Yes, I have been pleasantly surprised by some very odd protein sources (for instance noodles are 10% protein, the low fat soft cheese I have is 14% protein and I was really rather stunned to find that even every day skimmed milk is 3% protein, but 215g a day is, I am sorry to state, simply impossible. Therefore I hope that Doug will not be too disappointed as a result of this, but would like to reassure him that I am trying my darnest to find other ways of getting up to that level.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Thank you @Walter that is such a relief to hear. The next time he posts something on Instagram I will ask to follow him and if he accepts say that I have just starting training at the same gym and although it is unlikely that we will train at the same time, if we do, I shall leave the ground floor (where the weights he uses are based) entirely to him so that he can concentrate on increasing his strength. As I have said to @doug as well, it only seems fair that I ask you as well whether or you I could have your e-mail address to keep in touch offline so that I can tell you how things are progressing once I start on Sunday?
  • walter
    6 Years ago
    I applaud the journey that your embarking on and have high hopes that you will be successful. I read through all of your posts and your concerns. Here is the deal....There are ALWAYS going to be dudes that are bigger, stronger, more ripped, shredded, ect than you in the gyms. Same holds true with all of us. You will get to be there one day and be the guy that others look up to, look upon and envy, and admire. it all starts with that first step and self belief. There is no need to ever fear or feel intimidated by anyone you encounter in the gym. Every single one of them started out weak, small, and feeling insecure. Same holds true with all of us. This is about self improvement, self belief, and self desire to become better. Let nobody stand in your way of progress. You will do just fine, and one day your bench will be just as strong buddy.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    As I mentioned a few weeks ago when I had a tour, there is a monthly challenge for members. For July the challenge was a bodyweight back squat challenge and last night the winner was declared, with that winner being a person called Dean (who stated as part of the rules that he weighed 104kg / 229lbs). The result was published on Instagram (as was the ID for the person who won) so being naturally interested in what sort of people used the gym I had a look and found myself looking at a veritable strongman Dean's Instagram Account Now, I am sure he's a very nice person, but as he is able to 120kg (264lbs) benches (which it looks like he does late at night only) in just his shorts, my question is "If he did that when I was there I would be back to where I was in high school, completely overwhelmed by someone bigger and stronger than me and ask "Why bother?" therefore if he did train when I was there what is the best way to get around this problem?
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Goodness @doug that is very kind of you indeed. As I said 175.2 is the bottom end of expectations (working on the NHS recommendation of 2lbs per week) with the top end being 205.2lbs) so I will certainly do my best (although I should point out that with the cable rate (pound versus the dollar) going all over the place since our referendum on the EU, you may want to see what it does next before committing anything Cable Rate since June 2016
  • doug
    6 Years ago
    You can do this. I will sponsor this too. You can count me in for 50.00 USD if you get your weight down to 175 by Dec 31st. If you train, eat right, and do this thing, you will get there. I say you set it in stone. its a good goal, perfect aim, and plenty of runway to get there. Anything that you do, you do all the way. I have seen your devotion from your campaign trail, as well as how much you put into the work you put in here. Your a lock brother.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    This time next week I shall officially start on my new gym membership, therefore this morning's weight of 215.2lbs is the official starting point. This means that by Christmas (December 17th 2017, the last day in 2017 the free bus scheme is in operation) I should weigh between 205.2lbs and 175.2lbs but would like to know should I set those figures in stone or try and aim towards them as I carry on?
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    I am pleased to report that the additional elements of the scales are now working and so it is only fair that I post the data it generated: Body Fat: 14.6%, Water Content: 62.5%, BMI 26.9, Muscle Mass: 37.3%, Bone Mass: 9.0%, Calories: 2,345 A translation of this data would be very welcome.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Through that tried and trusted method of mathematics. Here in the UK BMI is always quoted so I know it off by heart BMI = Weight in kg / Height in meters (squared). Therefore 213.6lbs = 97.09kg, height squared is 3.48531561 which gives a total of 27.85 (I discovered that I was actually 6ft 1½ inches tall not 6ft as I have always thought). As to the estimate of body fat that was also done by mathematics basing it on the fact that I take a 42 inch waist pair of pants. Once I have figured out how to get the scales to calculate all the data that it can, I shall post that data
  • stacy
    6 Years ago
    How were you testing your BMI? The thumb test or even the palm tester is not very accurate. What they do is measure your HR as it travels throughout your entire body. I took mine at Walgreens yesterday as was at 28. I am nowhere close to 28 percent body fat. I would venture to say that you arent either. That one picture you posted of yourself with your shirt off, I would say that your under 18 percent. The diet you choose and macro index you adhere to is going to be the most important aspect of this new journey. We all will help you.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    The scales that I ordered have just arrived and whilst I cannot figure out the more fancy parts of it (that suggest it can calculate bodyfat, bodywater, BMI, body muscle, body bone and calorie analysis) it has told me that I weigh 213.6lbs. Based on what I know about myself, this leads me to conclude that my BMI is 29.02 (overweight, but not obese) with an estimated bodyfat rating of 34.4% which sort of makes sense in this comparsion Bodyfat Scale And therefore leads me to make the following conclusions. The recommendation of weight loss in the United Kingdom is 2lbs per week. If I am able to achieve a weight loss of 25% of that level, by Christmas I will weigh 203.6lbs (BMI 27.6, overweight but not obese), 50% of that level will see me reach 193.6 lbs (26.3, overweight but not obese) and 100% of that level will see me reach 173.6lbs (23.59, healthy) however it is not possible to calculate the estimated bodyfat levels as I would have no idea what my waist would be but referring to a chart of Mr. America constestants from the 1930's to the 1980's, a 24 BMI rating would be lower than any of them and would indicate a rating of around 9% based on Dennis Tinerino who won the contest in 1967 Dennis Tinerino But as I have said before my main aim is to reduce that bodyfat rating (to a more reasonable level say 20% or lower) and get that BMI rating towards 25 which is the minimum that healthy starts at.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Thank you very much indeed for that suggestion @thomas however, if you will pardon my Englishness, "I believe you have me confused for somebody else, sir". The reason for this "Your very lean now". I have been many times in my time, I have been an English gentleman, a Stuart era priest, an Edwardian manservant, but I have never been lean. As I understand the term this is what a lean person looks like Male Model Someone who has very little body fat on them and thus their undeveloped muscles look as big as a bodybuilder. As I said in my introduction that is not what I am looking for as an end result, I am hoping to become healthier and stronger to look something more like this than I am at the moment Healthier and Stronger
  • thomas
    6 Years ago
    Your very lean now, so I would stick to clean eating, but just up your protein intake considerably. Its best to try to get in 4 solid meals a day, with 2 to 3 healthy snacks like yogurt, almonds, ect inbetween. you want to put on lean and clean mass. As for your workouts, I would recommend doing two day splits. Do full upper body one day, and full lower body the following day. 3rd day rest, and then back to full upper body. on your second day of full upper body, mix in different variations. meaning, if you do standing biceps curling, do preacher curls this rotation. Try to hit at least two exercises per muscle group so that you get a good foundation nailed down. So with chest, I would say do flat bench press, then dumbbell flys. If you have the energy and time, do 3 exercises per bodypart, but if that is too much to start with, save that for week 3. After week 4, you will move on to doing spit sessions by muscle groups. So you would group chest with triceps. Back with shoulders. Deltoids with lats, ect.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Thank you very much indeed @doug I was aware of the type of exercise (but that was a wonderful description of what it does), the question related to why he appeared to be wearing what looks like the sort of thing that nurses use to take blood pressure with whilst doing them (thus raising the question, do I need to buy something else?) Today I shall be setting up the standing order to pay for the gym membership as well as buying a set of scales to determine how much I weigh before I start to create the first chart showing estimated weight loss against actual weight loss. The estimated figure will be three figures namely 100%, 50% and 25% of recommended weight loss according to the NHS every week compared to actual weight loss. The NHS recommends that you lose no more than 2 lbs per week, therefore as Christmas will be 20 weeks after I start I will have a range of 10lbs less to 40lbs less than I am at the moment (with the expectation more likely to be towards the 10lb range than the 40lb range). That's a relief to hear about the food choices so far as those are the ones that I can afford. I had a little look at the foods I have in my cupboards and was actually quite surprised to find that rice cakes (replacements for crisp breads), granola (replacement for cereal) and granary bread (replacement for white bread) are all remarkable sources of protein. My only real concern (which will be backed up by the data) is how much salt there is in some of these foods. The UK recommended maximum is 6g a day, but I am wondering whether I should limit myself to just 3g a day.
  • doug
    6 Years ago
    The work he is doing is standing preacher curls. This is a compound isolation movement that is designed to really aid in rounding and stretching the high peaks of the biceps. It places hypertrophy on both the concentric and eccentric flexion motion, so its a great way to use another variation. With biceps along with just about any body part your training, you want to be sure to keep things mixed up. Do as many variations as you can so that you can always keep high tension on the muscles worked. Furthermore, you want to always keep the muscles guessing so that you are shocking them. Shocking the muscles is what causes deeper fiber rips, growth, strength and gains. As for your food choices, those are good. You want to eat clean, and want to try and get at least 1 gram of protein per body pound you weigh per day.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    I follow a large number of bodybuilders on social media for the simple reason the more things I read about, the more information I become aware of and the more knowledgeable I become, however every now and again I see something on social media that makes absolutely no sense at all, case in point this Bicep Curls Therefore could someone please explain what he is trying to acheive
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    You have no idea how reassuring that statement is @doug as I am trying to keep it as quiet as possible for two reasons First, as you know I am a registered carer for my grandparents (both of whom are in their 90's) and every single time a bodybuilder or even a muscular man appears on television their instant reaction is "Dear lord, that's ugly" and Secondly, for the reasons I have mentioned above I don't want to be shamed simply for trying to become healthy. Therefore, as it is clear that the practical side of this equation is being sorted (and can I just say to everyone, especially @stacy thank you so much for offering a programme as I wouldn't have a clue where to start) it is about time the theoretical side of the equation was addressed namely "How do I get healthier and stronger when not in the gym?" in other words, food. Now, I am pleased to say that this I believe I can do on my own (as when it comes to statistics I am a complete wizard at them) therefore it will take no time at all to produce a list of what I have each day and how many nutrients it has in total, the question thereafter becomes "How can I make changes to that total?" remembering that I live in a very unpopulated area. Well, when I did my shopping today, I made a conscious effort to (where possible) buy only high protein, low fat and low salt foods that I could and was pleasantly surprised to find that noodles counted but then came against a slight barrier, I am not a voracious meat eater (a slice or two a ham a day is quite all right but not a whole hog), I don't mind the occasional vegetable (proven by the purchase of these items from the Amy's Kitchen range) and I cannot stand fish Amy's Kitchen Vegetable Lasagne Amy Kitchen's Three Cheese and Kale Bake So therefore I would very much appreciate suggestions based on the context of not living in the middle of Los Angeles or London buyt living in the middle of North Dakota (in terms of access to items)
  • doug
    6 Years ago
    That is exactly what this entire place is for. Nobody will ever body shame or slam anyone. None of us would stand for it or allow it. BodySpace on bodybuilding.com is known and legendary for that bullshit. Anyone whose trying to improve themselves deserves to be respected and treated as such.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    When I started this thread the first thing I said was that I was rather circumspect when it came to posting pictures of my physique. Since then it had become very abundantly clear that you have my best interests at heart and therefore would not do anything naughty like take any pictures I posted and put them in an online group labelled "LOL at the wannabe bodybuilders", therefore I am going to start a new album labelled "Progress" which I will update about once a month (or to be precise as close to every 28 days as possible) which I would like members to pass comment on, not only highlighting any progress but also correcting me on the poses.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Thank you very much indeed @doug I haver uploaded the pictures onto my gallery and look forward to your suggestions. The aim is to improve health and become stronger during the time that this free bus scheme is in operation. The other thing I am pondering doing is whether I should use this oppotunity to attend a bodybuilding contest as a reporter / correspondent (for this forum if you would like) and getting to know what actually competing entails to see whether the mood takes me in that direction or not. If I did, is that something that the forum might find of interest?
  • doug
    6 Years ago
    You can post the photos in a gallery on your profile, or you can just post a link to the gym via an article. I would suggest doing both. that would be cool. As for the email, Tom is out of town this week, but know he will get back to you as he always does. The list of exercises I will write up a full regiment that I would suggest.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    I shall pass that information on to him today @doug (and if there are no huge objections e-mail Tom as well and thank him for offering him this chance). I have taken a series of photos of the gym and the equipment and wanted to know if there is somewhere on this site where I can put them so that members can have a look, pass comment on the equipment and also make suggestions for what exercises I should do when I start on August 12th?
  • doug
    6 Years ago
    That would be cool. Have them email management@mybodybuildingnetwork.com You can use that to email Tom as well. Glad to see that this will be working out for you. Its well worth it and know you will put it to very good use.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    I have just received a reply from the gym owner and he has no objections to being contacted with regard to having the gym featured, therefore could I ask @doug to inform Tom that this is the case so that I can pass on his e-mail address to him
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    I met with the gym owner yesterday (who also works at a shop his parents run) so I was only able to ask him a few questions but have e-mailed him a number of other questions (including about being featured) but what I did find out was so interesting that I agreed there and then to become a member. He will send me the payment details over the next few days so that on August 6th I will be able to use the gym as a full blown member and as such have started to get myself ready. Therefore onto my tablet I have downloaded an app for keeping a note of things but am wondering what else I might need so am open to suggestions.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    My word, I am not quite sure what the gym owner is going to think when I tell him this, so therefore is the following a summarised by accurate description of this site: "The "My Bodybuilding Network" website considers itself to be a "a one stop bodybuilding website for all fitness related topics, supplements, advice, and best practices" and unlike other websites on the topic does not have "flame wars" (at least none that I have seen in the time that I have been a member), does not engage in comments of a sexual or lewd nature and perhaps most important of all promotes bodybuilding by creating a "unique environment for aspiring amateur/novice bodybuilders to take their first steps in becoming noticed". When I posted that I was going to join your gym, they asked whether you would be interested in having a link to your gym on their front page and, if my understanding of the discussions are correct, they would not intend to charge you for that privilege using the American concept of "paying it forward". If you would like me to, would you like me to forward the website to your e-mail so that you can join yourself and have a look around to see if it something that you would like to be listed on?" I realise the likelihood of this is rather low, but if any of you ever came to holiday in Wales, then it would be my pleasure to meet you, say hello, and in the case of those who are actual competition bodybuilders (with your permission) take some photographs of your poses so that when I am training myself I can say "These are people who have done what I am doing, if only a little faster" as I look at those photos on my tablet in the gym.
  • doug
    6 Years ago
    Harry, I would say that this is a locked in deal. Talk with your gym, or any gym that you can get to and this site will sponsor it. I know Tom pretty well, and talked to him today and he told me the same thing. MBN will do that gladly. Knowing what you make and are still sponsoring @bigtiger for pushups just shows your all heart and class.
  • stacy
    6 Years ago
    Looks like your going to get your wish. I emailed him last night about this, but wanted to wait to hear back before I wrote a response. He is most willing to do that if they will extend a gym membership to you. I will get more details for you, but I do have it confirmed that this would be fine.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    As I said earlier @brad and @thomas if it were possible to I would give you a massive hug. I have just received a reply from the gym owner who says that I can speak with him anytime between 9 and 12 on Saturday and permission has been given to take photos of the equipment. I will therefore certainly ask him if he would be interested in having a feature on the home page of this group, so if Tom would be so kind as to explain what that would involve by Friday that would be wonderful.
  • thomas
    6 Years ago
    I too will put in a word for you with Tom. You earned it and its for not just a good cause, but one of the best causes.
  • brad
    6 Years ago
    solid plan and well thought out. If they are willing to let you join, I am sure that they could get free advertising on this site. I know the owner Tom is cool like that and wouldnt mind in the slightest. Hell, he would even let them feature their gym on the home page.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Just occasionally things fall into my lap that help me do things. For instance in 1999, the Seabank Hotel (a long standing hotel in the town) was destroyed in a fire, but the first I knew of it was when I was travelling into Aberystwyth to host a community radio programme and saw a column of smoke rising from the town. Having read the details from Ceefax (an early form of the internet in the UK) I was able to arrange a telephone interview with the chief fire officer live from the scene and then speak to the council cabinet member in charge of social housing (as the hotel was under his department). Something similar happened yesterday when the BBC reported on a scheme launched by the Welsh government stating that from 0001 on Saturday July 8th 2017 until 2359 on Sunday April 28th, the bus fare on selected routes across Wales would be abolished at the weekend (the press release being hosted here Free Travel at Weekends Press Release and as a result of this, I believe that I am able to join a proper gym (and here's the reason why) At the moment (as I have mentioned before) my sole income is my carer's allowance (£63 / $82) which equates to £252 / $328 a month. Joining a gym that is based in the nearest town of Aberaeron would cost £25 plus £6.40 x 12 bus fares (a grand total of £101.80 / $132.34 a month) or 40% of my monthly income (assuming three times a week). Under this scheme the bus fare cost is eliminated making it just £25 a month or 10% of my monthly income (and therefore a viable option). As a result I am going to contact the gym owner, ask if I could visit the gym on Saturday or Sunday (at his convenience) take photos of the equipment (with his permission) and explain that with the help of my social media partners (that's you lot by the way) I would like to join the gym with a view to training every Saturday and Sunday from August 6th 2017 until at least April 28th 2018 (unless the scheme is extended)
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    @thomas and @stacy if I was so inclined I would hug you both. The general aim is to (as I mentioned at the start of this thread) to go from that top picture to something that suggests I am getting physically stronger and yet keeping my natural Englishness (so no suggestions that I enter a contest in the next 18 months).
  • stacy
    6 Years ago
    I would be happy to assist too! @Thomas excellent explanation.
  • thomas
    6 Years ago
    THR is target heart rate. RHR is resting heart rate. The reason why people track this is because it goes hand and hand with your BMI. Body Mass Index. When I take on a client, the first thing I do is get what their BMI is, along with their BFI ( body fat index ). with that data, I then look at what their caloric intake is on a day to day basis. I look at their overall diet and see how much protein, carbs, and fats they are consuming. The vital key is to make sure that your caloric intake is inline with your caloric output. meaning, are you getting the proper macro index to compliment your overall goals. THR and RHR come into play as your body uses ALL calories as a fuel source, and how they are burned depends on each of those elements. If your cutting, bulking, or looking to put on lean mass, knowing this data will aid considerably in putting you on the proper training regiment as well as diet and nutritional plan. Remember, bodybuilding is about 80 percent diet/nutrition/supplementation. 20 percent is training. The more you know, the more you grow. @bigtiger this goes out to you too my brother. As for your training Harry, I would be happy to customize a plan for you on both training and diet if you give me more details on what your overall goal is.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    Thomas: Thank you for explaining those terms, and it shows that I really don't have a clue about the basics so could I clarify a few things so that they are clear? As I have not "lifted" in the conventional sense (aside from a pair of small dumbbells which I think doesn't really count in the scheme of things) does this mean that the old adage "No pain, no gain" is 100% accurate and if so, then how much pain do I need to experience (as between August 2012 and September 2013, I was completely seized up with a slipped disc and did not get back to complete unhindered movement until at least January 2014). I have an inkling of my RHR (when I have been to have my flu jabs, she enters it on her computer and I am sure I have seen a figure of 80 mentioned) and I have absolutely no idea what my THR is either. Dominic: Now that's is what I called detailed, however it is possible that you may have missed a rather important part of my introduction namely "3) I have no room in this house to train on my own and as you might have guessed from my money I do not have any resources to buy a membership gym (which then raises the issue of getting to it as I cannot afford a car)" therefore of the things you listed, using the resources I have, that impressive list becomes "Biceps- 3 sets double arm curls, Chest- 2 sets dumbbell flyes, Legs - 3 set calf raise, 3 sets lunge" which is so disappointing as to make it not worthwhile (unless that is me being exceptionally pessimistic about the whole thing?)
  • dominic
    6 Years ago
    We all were beginners at some point my man. The good news is that you found fitness, and are embarking upon a whole new journey. The basics begin with hypertrophy programs. This is a staple and usually begins with running the full cycle workouts as suggested above. I would start with doing the following: Bicepts- 3 sets double arm curls, 3 sets machine curls Chest- 2 sets bench, incline, decline. 2 sets dumbbell flys. 2 sets cables, and 1 set machine hammer strength Back traps and shoulders- 3 sets rows, 2 sets lat raises, 2 sets reverse fly, 2 sets, shoulder raises freeweight. 3 sets shoulder machine, 3 sets lat pull down, 3 set trap raises Legs- 3 sets smith squat, 3 set calf raise, 3 sets hamstring raise, 3 sets lunges, 3 sets leg sled
  • thomas
    6 Years ago
    I can help out here. DOMS is delayed onset muscle soreness and typically occurs with people whom are just starting out, or have had a significant time off from lifting. Each time you workout hard your making tiny micro fiber rips to the muscle fibers, and they repair through the BCAA's in your system. Mostly through Glutemine. Each time they repair, they grow back stronger and bigger. That is what causes muscle growth and strength. When you first start, the tear is deep so you become much more sore than a typical hard workout. RHR is your resting heart rate, and THR is your Target heart rate. This is good to know so you know what type of caloric intake you should be using from a dietary standpoint. if your in a caloric defciete, your loosing weight. Surplus is gaining weight. When you know both your THR and RHR you can then structure what type of macro index you need to sustain, build, or cut when bodybuilding.
  • WelshMuscleman
    6 Years ago
    I have been involved in community theatre for the last twenty years or so and whilst I have played a large number of roles they are all rather second fiddle roles (not that I am objecting to them) but what I would really like to do is to get stuck into the real meaty roles, roles such as the Duke of Dunstable in the Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera "Patience" because I believe that he and I could almost be cousins especially when he says "Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?" and argues that he's an ordinary man. The reason I mention this is because although I am as clever as the Duke when I come across terms that I do not understand, I don't immediately ask "What does that mean?" but try and figure out what they mean and in those two answers we have such terms. So here are my guesses, first from Doug: RHR (Residual Health Rate), hypotrophy (having a physique that wins awards) and from Brad: DOMS (Desiring Of Muscular Service) If I have those completely and utterly wrong then do tell me, but if I have managed to get the general idea then could you expand on what they mean?
  • brad
    6 Years ago
    Welcome to the club brother. The good news here is that its never too late, there is no such thing as a bad time, and never a physique that cant be improved. To piggy back off of Doug, that is pretty much the staple that I would roll with too. I would try to get you also consider working in some cardio at least 3 times a week, and do a split of 6 days on, 1 day off just for the first month. Now given that your going to be going full body, your going to have DOMS set in by the 3rd day, so you might need to go every other day for the first week and half. Stick with it brother, it will change your life without question man.
  • doug
    6 Years ago
    Welcome to your new and next quest. The first thing that you should dial into is your overall goal. Your starting BF rate, your starting RHR, and caloric intake. Macro index will really keep things into check, and the most important thing to remember about bodybuilding, fitness, and body transformation is to remember the number one rule. 80 percent is diet and nutrition. 20 percent is training. @bigtiger knows this and we have beat the living hell out of this point to him, deaf, dumb, and blind. Now having said that, I would start you off with a good periodization program that creates good muscle hypotrophy. In addition a well-rounded resistance training that would really work on 4 main disciplines. Concentric, eccentric, progressive overload, abduction, and adduction movements. I would say that you should start by doing full body workouts to establish a core, get the stabilizing, supporting, primary, and secondary muscles all acclimated to the movements. I would do starting with 2 to 3 sets of each routine, and do 2 to 3 working sets of each major muscle group. I would stay with that for the first 4 weeks so that you can get yourself ready to break off and form a higher periodization program. From a nutritional standpoint, I would get you on a 60/20/20 ratio of carbs to protein/fat. Try to spread 4 to 5 meals of smaller portions out so that we can get your metabolic rate up. Eat clean and high protein food sources, and limit sugars, simple carbs, ect.