I think I would class myself as a beginner

This topic contains 115 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brad Collins Brad Collins 4 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 116 total)

Forums Training, Circuits, Exercises, Best Practices Beginners Start Here I think I would class myself as a beginner

• Author
    Profile photo of Harry Hayfield
    Harry Hayfield
    Participant

Having got over, if not completely then certainly a large amount, my loss in the local elections, it seems reasonable to make those 34 miles of walking count towards something, therefore would like to know firstly people’s thoughts on what I look like at the moment and (on the proviso that you will not burst out laughing) what I would like to look like at some point in the future, followed by what I can and cannot do at this present moment in time to achieve that.

Now, when it comes to posting pictures of me, I have no qualms in the slightest (after all how many people can claim to have a picture of them being covered in custard pie mix as part of community theatre pantomime production) however when it comes to picture regarding physiques I am far more conservative (so hope that you will excuse the lack of a face in this picture taken today)

Most Muscular May 2017

Now, as to what I would like to look like in the future is where the humour may start, you see I may have ideas that are just a little above my station (if only because I have been influenced by both literature and movies). I know that if money, access to a gym and a dedicated mind-set was no object then I would not say no to looking something like this

He-Man

Similarly, I know that if I just wanted to become someone who had so much strength at their disposal they could hire themselves out as a bob a jobbing strongman, I would look like this

Porthos

But the one thing I would never want to become is someone who looks lean but with hardly any practical strength at all

Male Model

Now while that all sounds very reasonable, here are the problems I have. 1) I only earn as a registered carer for my grandparents £63 a week (around $82 a week) which has to be split in the following proportions. 33% for food, 25% for telecoms providers, 25% for television providers and 17% for pension provision. Now I know the first thing you are going to say is “Do you really need to pay for your television?” to which the answer comes as part of reason 2) As well as looking after my grandparents, my aunt lives with us as well (having been kicked out of her own home by her former boyfriend) and so as a result needs the movie package to be able to watch in the evenings. She does contribute to that, but only 16% of the monthly cost because she is not currently employed despite sending off loads of applications, thus the following reason comes into play namely 3) I have no room in this house to train on my own and as you might have guessed from my money I do not have any resources to buy a membership gym (which then raises the issue of getting to it as I cannot afford a car).

By now there is a good chance that Brian, who I have been generous to in the past with regard to his fitness goals is panicking to which I would say “Don’t worry, I shall continue to support your goals for the simple reason you’re a friend and I always help my friends where and when possible”

So that’s my current situation. You have all been so very supportive during my election campaign so I am hoping that that support will show itself again with this question.

Profile photo of Doug Hampton
    Doug Hampton
    Participant

Welcome to your new and next quest. The first thing that you should dial into is your overall goal. Your starting BF rate, your starting RHR, and caloric intake. Macro index will really keep things into check, and the most important thing to remember about bodybuilding, fitness, and body transformation is to remember the number one rule. 80 percent is diet and nutrition. 20 percent is training. @bigtiger knows this and we have beat the living hell out of this point to him, deaf, dumb, and blind. Now having said that, I would start you off with a good periodization program that creates good muscle hypotrophy. In addition a well-rounded resistance training that would really work on 4 main disciplines. Concentric, eccentric, progressive overload, abduction, and adduction movements. I would say that you should start by doing full body workouts to establish a core, get the stabilizing, supporting, primary, and secondary muscles all acclimated to the movements. I would do starting with 2 to 3 sets of each routine, and do 2 to 3 working sets of each major muscle group. I would stay with that for the first 4 weeks so that you can get yourself ready to break off and form a higher periodization program. From a nutritional standpoint, I would get you on a 60/20/20 ratio of carbs to protein/fat. Try to spread 4 to 5 meals of smaller portions out so that we can get your metabolic rate up. Eat clean and high protein food sources, and limit sugars, simple carbs, ect.

Profile photo of Brad Collins
    Brad Collins
    Participant

Welcome to the club brother. The good news here is that its never too late, there is no such thing as a bad time, and never a physique that cant be improved. To piggy back off of Doug, that is pretty much the staple that I would roll with too. I would try to get you also consider working in some cardio at least 3 times a week, and do a split of 6 days on, 1 day off just for the first month. Now given that your going to be going full body, your going to have DOMS set in by the 3rd day, so you might need to go every other day for the first week and half. Stick with it brother, it will change your life without question man.

Harry Hayfield
    Participant

I have been involved in community theatre for the last twenty years or so and whilst I have played a large number of roles they are all rather second fiddle roles (not that I am objecting to them) but what I would really like to do is to get stuck into the real meaty roles, roles such as the Duke of Dunstable in the Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera “Patience” because I believe that he and I could almost be cousins especially when he says “Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?” and argues that he’s an ordinary man.

The reason I mention this is because although I am as clever as the Duke when I come across terms that I do not understand, I don’t immediately ask “What does that mean?” but try and figure out what they mean and in those two answers we have such terms. So here are my guesses, first from Doug: RHR (Residual Health Rate), hypotrophy (having a physique that wins awards) and from Brad: DOMS (Desiring Of Muscular Service)

If I have those completely and utterly wrong then do tell me, but if I have managed to get the general idea then could you expand on what they mean?

Profile photo of Thomas Stewart
    Thomas Stewart
    Participant

I can help out here. DOMS is delayed onset muscle soreness and typically occurs with people whom are just starting out, or have had a significant time off from lifting. Each time you workout hard your making tiny micro fiber rips to the muscle fibers, and they repair through the BCAA’s in your system. Mostly through Glutemine. Each time they repair, they grow back stronger and bigger. That is what causes muscle growth and strength. When you first start, the tear is deep so you become much more sore than a typical hard workout.

RHR is your resting heart rate, and THR is your Target heart rate. This is good to know so you know what type of caloric intake you should be using from a dietary standpoint. if your in a caloric defciete, your loosing weight. Surplus is gaining weight. When you know both your THR and RHR you can then structure what type of macro index you need to sustain, build, or cut when bodybuilding.

Profile photo of Dominic
    Dominic
    Participant

We all were beginners at some point my man. The good news is that you found fitness, and are embarking upon a whole new journey. The basics begin with hypertrophy programs. This is a staple and usually begins with running the full cycle workouts as suggested above. I would start with doing the following:

Bicepts- 3 sets double arm curls, 3 sets machine curls
    Chest- 2 sets bench, incline, decline. 2 sets dumbbell flys. 2 sets cables, and 1 set machine hammer strength
    Back traps and shoulders- 3 sets rows, 2 sets lat raises, 2 sets reverse fly, 2 sets, shoulder raises freeweight. 3 sets shoulder machine, 3 sets lat pull down, 3 set trap raises
    Legs- 3 sets smith squat, 3 set calf raise, 3 sets hamstring raise, 3 sets lunges, 3 sets leg sled

Harry Hayfield
    Participant

Thomas: Thank you for explaining those terms, and it shows that I really don’t have a clue about the basics so could I clarify a few things so that they are clear? As I have not “lifted” in the conventional sense (aside from a pair of small dumbbells which I think doesn’t really count in the scheme of things) does this mean that the old adage “No pain, no gain” is 100% accurate and if so, then how much pain do I need to experience (as between August 2012 and September 2013, I was completely seized up with a slipped disc and did not get back to complete unhindered movement until at least January 2014). I have an inkling of my RHR (when I have been to have my flu jabs, she enters it on her computer and I am sure I have seen a figure of 80 mentioned) and I have absolutely no idea what my THR is either.

Dominic: Now that’s is what I called detailed, however it is possible that you may have missed a rather important part of my introduction namely “3) I have no room in this house to train on my own and as you might have guessed from my money I do not have any resources to buy a membership gym (which then raises the issue of getting to it as I cannot afford a car)” therefore of the things you listed, using the resources I have, that impressive list becomes “Biceps- 3 sets double arm curls, Chest- 2 sets dumbbell flyes, Legs – 3 set calf raise, 3 sets lunge” which is so disappointing as to make it not worthwhile (unless that is me being exceptionally pessimistic about the whole thing?)

Thomas Stewart
    Participant

THR is target heart rate. RHR is resting heart rate. The reason why people track this is because it goes hand and hand with your BMI. Body Mass Index. When I take on a client, the first thing I do is get what their BMI is, along with their BFI ( body fat index ). with that data, I then look at what their caloric intake is on a day to day basis. I look at their overall diet and see how much protein, carbs, and fats they are consuming. The vital key is to make sure that your caloric intake is inline with your caloric output. meaning, are you getting the proper macro index to compliment your overall goals. THR and RHR come into play as your body uses ALL calories as a fuel source, and how they are burned depends on each of those elements. If your cutting, bulking, or looking to put on lean mass, knowing this data will aid considerably in putting you on the proper training regiment as well as diet and nutritional plan. Remember, bodybuilding is about 80 percent diet/nutrition/supplementation. 20 percent is training. The more you know, the more you grow. @bigtiger this goes out to you too my brother. As for your training Harry, I would be happy to customize a plan for you on both training and diet if you give me more details on what your overall goal is.

Profile photo of Stacy Ford
    Stacy Ford
    Participant

I would be happy to assist too! @thomas excellent explanation.

Harry Hayfield
    Participant

@thomas and @stacy if I was so inclined I would hug you both. The general aim is to (as I mentioned at the start of this thread) to go from that top picture to something that suggests I am getting physically stronger and yet keeping my natural Englishness (so no suggestions that I enter a contest in the next 18 months).

Harry Hayfield
    Participant

Just occasionally things fall into my lap that help me do things. For instance in 1999, the Seabank Hotel (a long standing hotel in the town) was destroyed in a fire, but the first I knew of it was when I was travelling into Aberystwyth to host a community radio programme and saw a column of smoke rising from the town. Having read the details from Ceefax (an early form of the internet in the UK) I was able to arrange a telephone interview with the chief fire officer live from the scene and then speak to the council cabinet member in charge of social housing (as the hotel was under his department).

Something similar happened yesterday when the BBC reported on a scheme launched by the Welsh government stating that from 0001 on Saturday July 8th 2017 until 2359 on Sunday April 28th, the bus fare on selected routes across Wales would be abolished at the weekend (the press release being hosted here Free Travel at Weekends Press Release and as a result of this, I believe that I am able to join a proper gym (and here’s the reason why)

At the moment (as I have mentioned before) my sole income is my carer’s allowance (£63 / $82) which equates to £252 / $328 a month. Joining a gym that is based in the nearest town of Aberaeron would cost £25 plus £6.40 x 12 bus fares (a grand total of £101.80 / $132.34 a month) or 40% of my monthly income (assuming three times a week). Under this scheme the bus fare cost is eliminated making it just £25 a month or 10% of my monthly income (and therefore a viable option). As a result I am going to contact the gym owner, ask if I could visit the gym on Saturday or Sunday (at his convenience) take photos of the equipment (with his permission) and explain that with the help of my social media partners (that’s you lot by the way) I would like to join the gym with a view to training every Saturday and Sunday from August 6th 2017 until at least April 28th 2018 (unless the scheme is extended)

Profile photo of Brad Collins
    Brad Collins
    Participant

solid plan and well thought out. If they are willing to let you join, I am sure that they could get free advertising on this site. I know the owner Tom is cool like that and wouldnt mind in the slightest. Hell, he would even let them feature their gym on the home page.

Thomas Stewart
    Participant

I too will put in a word for you with Tom. You earned it and its for not just a good cause, but one of the best causes.

Harry Hayfield
    Participant

As I said earlier @brad and @thomas if it were possible to I would give you a massive hug. I have just received a reply from the gym owner who says that I can speak with him anytime between 9 and 12 on Saturday and permission has been given to take photos of the equipment. I will therefore certainly ask him if he would be interested in having a feature on the home page of this group, so if Tom would be so kind as to explain what that would involve by Friday that would be wonderful.

Profile photo of Stacy Ford
    Stacy Ford
    Participant

Looks like your going to get your wish. I emailed him last night about this, but wanted to wait to hear back before I wrote a response. He is most willing to do that if they will extend a gym membership to you. I will get more details for you, but I do have it confirmed that this would be fine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.